Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Test drove a manual m sport 328 today (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643653)

BentZero 09-04-2012 12:46 PM

Test drove a manual m sport 328 today

I won't go into to much detail. What can be said that hasn't already been said? I have driven the automatic one already and there is one big difference between the two in my opinion. The N20 engine is just not made for the manual transmission. I felt like I had to keep the RPMs really high to keep it in the sweet spot. In the automatic it seemed like it was always in the sweet spot. Probably has to do with 6 speeds versus eight speeds transmissions.

They also had the Estiril blue on the lot and the color is amazing. Definitely the route I'm going to go when I order.

I also tried to test drive a S4 but the salesman said they never get them in. He said to drive it I would have to order it first which is just stupid. I think the interior (which is the same on the S5) is a little bit better but I'm not ordering a car before driving it.

enigma 09-04-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BentZero (Post 7052571)
I won't go into to much detail. What can be said that hasn't already been said? I have driven the automatic one already and there is one big difference between the two in my opinion. The N20 engine is just not made for the manual transmission. I felt like I had to keep the RPMs really high to keep it in the sweet spot. In the automatic it seemed like it was always in the sweet spot. Probably has to do with 6 speeds versus eight speeds transmissions.

They also had the Estiril blue on the lot and the color is amazing. Definitely the route I'm going to go when I order.

I also tried to test drive a S4 but the salesman said they never get them in. He said to drive it I would have to order it first which is just stupid. I think the interior (which is the same on the S5) is a little bit better but I'm not ordering a car before driving it.

Really? The N20's torque is so flat, I am not sure how it could be any more difficult than the NA I6's of the past. The only problem I had with the 328i was the acceleration lag, which I assumed was due to the AT and should be cured with the 6MT.

Estoril Blue II is an M-Sport specific color (meaning you have to get the M-Sport line) just FYI.

While the S cars can be somewhat difficult to spot at times, there are a few dealers that will stock them. The only rare one I had difficulty finding on dealer's lot is the TT-RS.

brkf 09-04-2012 01:26 PM

Huh? I have a 6 speed N20-based car and it has instant torque. I've had e46s and e90s (330i and 335i)... the N20 is very much like the 335i N54: instant power.

BentZero 09-04-2012 02:54 PM

Perhaps I'm just not that impressed by the N20? Who knows. I just felt like I had to keep it revved. I remember that it was more fun with the auto for some reason. I made sure to put it in sport plus mode too.

M sport is definitely what I'm going for. Mainly for the front bumper, estoril blue, and that sweet steering wheel. For 4g I think the N55 will be worth it and still get it under my 55g price tag.

graphicguy 09-04-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BentZero (Post 7052571)

I think what the Audi salesman meant to say was he didn't have one in and that meant he wouldn't be able to make a sale on one right now. Get away from the salesperson.

S4s are tougher to find than a 3 series, but they're out there. You're in an area where there should be another Audi dealer relatively close. If you're really interested, I'd find an Audi store that has one. It's well worth at least a test drive.

BentZero 09-04-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graphicguy (Post 7052976)
I think what the Audi salesman meant to say was he didn't have one in and that meant he wouldn't be able to make a sale on one right now. Get away from the salesperson.

S4s are tougher to find than a 3 series, but they're out there. You're in an area where there should be another Audi dealer relatively close. If you're really interested, I'd find an Audi store that has one. It's well worth at least a test drive.

I don't know what that guy was getting at. I plan on contacting their internet SA next and bypass that dude. I'm also headed out of town this weekend and plan on hitting an Audi dealer on the way out of town.

av98 09-05-2012 10:36 AM

How improved are the suspension and brakes with he m-sport package?

windsor027 09-05-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by av98 (Post 7054810)

I think the M sport package is all aesthetic. You will need to add adaptive handling to get a improved suspension and that is an additional 1,000.

samualcc 09-05-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by av98 (Post 7054810)

M package is 100% visual, unless you count the steering wheel as a performance part. You get the same sport suspension, brakes, etc as a standard sport line.

brkf 09-05-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samualcc (Post 7055030)
M package is 100% visual, unless you count the steering wheel as a performance part. You get the same sport suspension, brakes, etc as a standard sport line.

Yep. I was bummed to discover that.

samualcc 09-05-2012 12:29 PM

Hard to swallow the 1300+ cost increase, which is why I didn't get the M package. That and you cannot get Everest Gray with it. It also looks like you can buy the M wheel as an after market for 700ish MSRP. That is the only thing I wish I had from the M package.

brkf 09-05-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samualcc (Post 7055095)
Hard to swallow the 1300+ cost increase, which is why I didn't get the M package. That and you cannot get Everest Gray with it. It also looks like you can buy the M wheel as an after market for 700ish MSRP. That is the only thing I wish I had from the M package.

lol, I too found myself unhappy with the M's leather choices as I wanted Everest too. The best part of getting into my 3 is the gray leather. I missed that two tone look in my last car and in my 335i.

BentZero 09-05-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but to me it's worth the price. I don't like the flatness of the non-m sport front bumper. I love the steering wheel and the estoril blue. The rims on the m sport are also my favorite. However, with the m name should come some performance increase. I'll just assume that the aero dynamics are better with the different front bumper and the m logo on the rims adds .03 to the skidpad.

unison21 09-05-2012 10:19 PM

Do yourself a favor and test drive the S4. I think if you did your next post would be photos of your new S4.

brkf 09-06-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unison21 (Post 7056465)
Do yourself a favor and test drive the S4. I think if you did your next post would be photos of your new S4.

And then his post in two years would be about how parts are falling off, Audi won't repair anything in warranty and that the windows are slowly going up and down.

windsor027 09-06-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unison21 (Post 7056465)

Oh man here comes another Audi lover. I did drive it brother and no I was not impressed enough with it. it me it felt heavy and I never did like AWD in a sport sedan. its a great car? yes, but not my cup of tea.

soledoc 09-06-2012 06:48 AM

I've got the 6MT in my '12 imperial blue and am quite happy with it. You have to have it in sport mode too. Not eco pro :yikes:

I really wanted the Estoril Blue II in the m sport package, but I couldn't wait that long (ordered mine in March 2012) as my last E90 was montego blue which was gorgeous.
I'm getting used to the imperial (darker) blue. It doesn't stand out as much but it looks nice in the late afternoon when the sun hits it. In fact I'm taking it to the BMW Championship today at Crooked Stick GC in Carmel, IN (my hometown and my dad lives there).

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with this engine mated with a 6MT. Except for the fact that I couldn't drive it for 6 weeks after I had surgery on my ruptured left achilles tendon!

White05X3 09-06-2012 07:18 AM

I respectfully dissent. In my opinion the 6MT is a great match for this car and makes it really fun to drive. But hey...that is why BMW offers the option of choosing transmissions. Kudos to BMW for allowing the buyer to make that choice.

toph 09-06-2012 08:05 PM

I'm loving my F30 328i with the 6MT. It's my first BMW and I feel like the power is there from the moment I mash the peddle on the right. There is a noticeable difference between Comfort and Sport mode, but I would not classify the car as requiring revs to be up to get into the power.

unison21 09-06-2012 08:49 PM

I'm not an Audi lover nor do I drive an Audi. I just bought a 535i sedan. But I am a lover of great sports cars that deliver performance. I would have gotten the S4 if I didn't need the space of a 5 series. The A6 was disconnected compared to the 535i which is why I didn't get that.

mr_clueless 09-07-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Don't you also get a short throw shifter if manual?

captainaudio 09-07-2012 02:30 AM

Delete

enigma 09-07-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brkf (Post 7052679)
Huh? I have a 6 speed N20-based car and it has instant torque. I've had e46s and e90s (330i and 335i)... the N20 is very much like the 335i N54: instant power.

That kinda confirms that the AT was at fault for my laggy gas pedal experience in my test drives. The N20 should be a very good match for the 6MT, but unfortunately, not too many dealers actually stock it these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsor027 (Post 7054851)
I think the M sport package is all aesthetic. You will need to add adaptive handling to get a improved suspension and that is an additional 1,000.

I would agree for the most part. But...the M Sport Line does come with the Sport Suspension, which is the only bit that helps performance.

And I would disagree that the Adaptive Handling Pkg actually "improves" handling. I absolutely hate the variable steering feature, and the adaptive suspension is a waste of $ if you're going with an aftermarket spring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unison21 (Post 7058603)
I'm not an Audi lover nor do I drive an Audi. I just bought a 535i sedan. But I am a lover of great sports cars that deliver performance. I would have gotten the S4 if I didn't need the space of a 5 series. The A6 was disconnected compared to the 535i which is why I didn't get that.

Interesting... You found the A6 disconnected compared to the 535i? The F10 must have been the most disappointing driving experience I had in a while (heavy, a lot of body roll, disconnected, etc.). The A6, on the other hand, wasn't as bad.

I agree that the S4 is a fun car, especially if ordered with the sport diff.

BMW.Nick 09-07-2012 03:56 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't like the appearance of the new m sport? I feel like the front end is incomplete, I can't put my finger on it. The whole kit misses for me

Chief Brody 09-07-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW.Nick (Post 7058978)
Am I the only one that doesn't like the appearance of the new m sport? I feel like the front end is incomplete, I can't put my finger on it. The whole kit misses for me

Yeah... my guess is, you're pretty much alone out there ;-).