Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Auto headlights and auto wiper problems 2004 x5 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644235)

blaze1984 09-06-2012 08:22 PM

Auto headlights and auto wiper problems 2004 x5

I've been searching like crazy for the past few days for a fix for this.

Basically, auto lights come on when the car is started, but turn off after about 10-15 seconds.

The auto wipers don't ever work. They turn on and move once when I put the switch to auto, then after swiping once, they stay off.

I checked the following: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=615032 and it doesn't seem like my rain sensor has any air bubbles.

These features used to work, but no longer. I've owned the car for 5+ years and the issues started about 6 months ago. The windshield was never replaced. Not sure what the problem is. I opened up the 2 plastic pieces that attach to the back of the rearview mirror and none of the wires are disconnected.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer as to whether the same rain sensor also controls the auto lights.

Any help would be appreciated. And I promise, I did my homework and tried googling the problem. I used the amazing instructions on this site to fix my final stage unit on my AC without ever posting a question. But after about 5 hours of reading, I decided i needed to start a thread to find out the answer. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gurjit 09-07-2012 09:04 AM

my auto headlights worked good even without my rain sensing wipers working, so when i re/re my rain sensor i noticed that
when i was reattaching my rain sensor and it was disconected my auto headlights would work regardless of sunny or dark and basicaly always be on,
ounce i reattached it it works properly, start the car (adaptive mode) and the lights come on for a bit then turn off, then they turn back on after if its dark

i posted a thread on how to DIY on xoutpsotcom
re/re rain sensor, cost = little bit of clear silicon

blaze1984 09-13-2012 11:43 PM

Yeah, still no answer, any idea what could be causing this problem? :dunno:

Nedal0 03-26-2013 02:29 PM

Any luck with this issue ? I'm experiencing the same thing

blaze1984 03-26-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedal0 (Post 7473368)
Any luck with this issue ? I'm experiencing the same thing

Unfortunately, haven't figured anything out.

I'm thinking about just replacing the sensor altogether and seeing if that does anything. Not sure though...

Nedal0 03-26-2013 05:00 PM

I'm on my 3rd sensor and its basically the same issue. Its fine for a few minutes after fitting a new Sensor but then the issue starts all over again. Its quite strange.

It all started after I saw a burnt brake light bulb indicator on my Instrument Cluster Panel. Weird things is, the bulb was still working but had to replace it as a precaution.

Since then, my Wipers will sweep the screen every time I start the car if left on Auto Wipe the previous night and Auto Lights will come on for the duration of the wipe if Auto light were left on the night before.

What's the Part Number of your R&L Sensor ? Mine is RLS 6923954

blaze1984 03-26-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedal0 (Post 7473758)
I'm on my 3rd sensor and its basically the same issue. Its fine for a few minutes after fitting a new Sensor but then the issue starts all over again. Its quite strange.

It all started after I saw a burnt brake light bulb indicator on my Instrument Cluster Panel. Weird things is, the bulb was still working but had to replace it as a precaution.

Since then, my Wipers will sweep the screen every time I start the car if left on Auto Wipe the previous night and Auto Lights will come on for the duration of the wipe if Auto light were left on the night before.

What's the Part Number of your R&L Sensor ? Mine is RLS 6923954

will check on this tomorrow. I recently had an issue with leaking washer fluid - so had to replace both windshield washer pumps... I think I finally have that under control

I want to get this worked out, I'll post that part number here in the afternoon...

Nedal0 03-27-2013 01:34 AM

I had the same washer tank leakage about 2 months ago and had the pump replaced. I was surprised how easy it was. It's so much easier fixing the little things myself. The dealers are too indulgent and it gets annoying.

I do really want to get the bottom of this issue too. Currently I just leave the Auto Lights and Rain Sensor off until I need it.

blaze1984 04-01-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedal0 (Post 7474635)
I had the same washer tank leakage about 2 months ago and had the pump replaced. I was surprised how easy it was. It's so much easier fixing the little things myself. The dealers are too indulgent and it gets annoying.

I do really want to get the bottom of this issue too. Currently I just leave the Auto Lights and Rain Sensor off until I need it.

Sorry about the slow reply. Mine is the same part number as you listed... It's also known as part # 61356923954 ... so if you want to try to pick it up off ebay for cheaper, not a horrible idea.

I know a lot of people have this problem after having the windshield replaced. The windshield on this car was never replaced.

I'm gonna try replacing the sensor and the sensor alone using this guide:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=615032

I don't see any air bubbles underneath the rain sensor lens. So hopefully that's all that needs to be done. If not, I'm out about $40 and some time... either way, still a lot cheaper than taking it to the dealer.

Nedal0 04-02-2013 05:40 AM

Yea the strange thing is you don't have any bubbles on the sensor. Well GOOD LUCK and keep me updated.

blaze1984 04-08-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedal0 (Post 7488638)
Yea the strange thing is you don't have any bubbles on the sensor. Well GOOD LUCK and keep me updated.

Just to update, I finally got around to swapping out that part. I think the problem is now gone. The auto headlights definitely worked fine today.

Haven't had a chance to check the auto wipers, but given that they both stopped working at the same time and now one is working, I'm assuming they should be fine as well. The whole swap out took about 5 minutes. Again, I think the repair was a bit easier for me since I didn't have any air bubbles to worry about.

Nedal0 04-09-2013 12:59 AM

Brilliant News and Good to hear.