Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E34 (1989 - 1995) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   AC Condenser (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644536)

goosefoot33 09-08-2012 03:23 PM

AC Condenser

Driving around this weekend has gotten me really frustrated with my cooling system. The cooling fan is on most of the time when it shouldn't be (i.e. on the highway doing 75mph), and I'm getting to my wits end.
I took my car to the shop for the first time in 5 years for two things: diagnose AC system not working, and find out what's up with my cooling system. I paid $400 for them to tell me my cooling system is working fine (which it is not at all), and they couldn't find the leak in my AC system. They put UV dye in the system, which leaked out of my condenser during the 10 hours I had it parked in my driveway the night I took it home.
So I am thinking of killing two birds with one stone. If I remove the condenser in front of the radiator (I don't use the AC at all, it's just for my gf), and cap the lines, it will allow a lot more air to pass through to the radiator, and also to the fan and thus not engaging the fan clutch.
Thoughts?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Bimmer App

supertech777 09-08-2012 04:09 PM

When I replaced my radiator I found that it was totally blocked by leaves and debri between the tranny cooler and between the ac condenser .

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App

luckydog 09-09-2012 12:34 AM

yes it would help air flow across the rad easier. I have thought about abandoning the condenser too. On My car the using the AC makes it run too hot so i rarely use it. The fan clutch may be doing what its supposed to, draw more air when the engine is hot. i plan to remove the condenser on mine next summer. Are you using water wetter,that will let you run cooler. I try to avoid mechs most are crooks and fail to do accurate repairs on these cars.

goosefoot33 09-09-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertech777 (Post 7062001)
When I replaced my radiator I found that it was totally blocked by leaves and debri between the tranny cooler and between the ac condenser .

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App

Mine is a manual so I do not have a transmission fluid cooling element. I just replaced my radiator as well, and it was clean between the condenser and radiator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckydog (Post 7062600)
yes it would help air flow across the rad easier. I have thought about abandoning the condenser too. On My car the using the AC makes it run too hot so i rarely use it. The fan clutch may be doing what its supposed to, draw more air when the engine is hot. i plan to remove the condenser on mine next summer. Are you using water wetter,that will let you run cooler. I try to avoid mechs most are crooks and fail to do accurate repairs on these cars.

I am using Water Wetter, but it hasn't helped my cooling issue (coolant isn't flowing through the system the way it should). I have a whole other thread regarding that whole debacle.

I think I'll remove the condenser, since winter is coming I won't need it, and it's leaking out all the refrigerant anyway.