Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 M5 (1998-2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Advice buying 2002 BMW M5 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644660)

MKUltra1 09-09-2012 10:01 AM

Advice buying 2002 BMW M5

Hey guys, I am in the market for an M5 but have no experience with these cars. I have located a 2002 M5 with low miles. Since I know nothing, what are things I should know about the car such as major recalls or common problems and issues...electrical, engine, power windows, etc. What is the annual cost of owning an M5?

What would be the best questions to ask the current owner and what things can I check. Any help is greatly appreciated as this has been my dream car for years and I now might have the chance to own one. Thanks.

ljg335i 09-09-2012 04:29 PM

You will get a lot more response on m5board.com.

Lots of potential issues to deal with given the complexity, but a well sorted example shouldn't give you much grief. Keep in mind everything costs more. Definitely get a good PPI and stash some cash for rainy day. Don't service at the dealer.

KevinM 09-09-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljg335i (Post 7063576)
You will get a lot more response on m5board.com.

Lots of potential issues to deal with given the complexity, but a well sorted example shouldn't give you much grief. Keep in mind everything costs more. Definitely get a good PPI and stash some cash for rainy day. Don't service at the dealer.

+1. Happy research on m5board.com! It's all about how the prior owners treated the car. The M5 is all about appropriate maintenance.

Milla 09-10-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 7063860)
+1. Happy research on m5board.com! It's all about how the prior owners treated the car. The M5 is all about appropriate maintenance.

+2 on that m5board will be able to help you more. a 2002 doesn't have as many issues as a 2000 but all S62's are known to be finicky

mylifeasapc 02-12-2013 01:32 AM

Start here. I built a spreadsheet that has every E39 M5 for sale across the country. It includes prices, miles, ownership records and more. Definitely join up at M5 Board too. Tons of information.

07 E63650i 02-12-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKUltra1 (Post 7062992)
Hey guys, I am in the market for an M5 but have no experience with these cars. I have located a 2002 M5 with low miles. Since I know nothing, what are things I should know about the car such as major recalls or common problems and issues...electrical, engine, power windows, etc. What is the annual cost of owning an M5?

What would be the best questions to ask the current owner and what things can I check. Any help is greatly appreciated as this has been my dream car for years and I now might have the chance to own one. Thanks.

First things to check for are a clean title in hand, along with a clean CarFax. Also, do have a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputable independent BMW shop. The dealers are a hit or miss when it comes to these kind of services. As for the cost of owning an M5, be prepared to spend money if something should go wrong. Otherwise, they are fantastic examples of 'The Ultimate Driving Machine.'

mylifeasapc 02-12-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07 E63650i (Post 7375768)
First things to check for are a clean title in hand, along with a clean CarFax. Also, do have a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputable independent BMW shop. The dealers are a hit or miss when it comes to these kind of services. As for the cost of owning an M5, be prepared to spend money if something should go wrong. Otherwise, they are fantastic examples of 'The Ultimate Driving Machine.'

Well said. This is everything I've heard and expect 10x over. Pre-Purchase Inspection is a must but there are some very well maintained examples out there if you're lucky or search hard enough.