Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Paint Jobs (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644795)

ldspiker 09-09-2012 10:57 PM

Paint Jobs

I have a 2005 Z4 with 80,000 miles on it with some road rash that I would like to take care of. One shop wants $600 to take off the front grill and re paint. They also gave me a bid of $6,000 to paint the whole car. Any ideas on pricing and how to find a good paint shop here in Minnesota? Maacoo is out of the question ........right?

epbrown 09-10-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldspiker (Post 7064226)
I have a 2005 Z4 with 80,000 miles on it with some road rash that I would like to take care of. One shop wants $600 to take off the front grill and re paint. They also gave me a bid of $6,000 to paint the whole car. Any ideas on pricing and how to find a good paint shop here in Minnesota? Maacoo is out of the question ........right?

That sounds in the ballpark - I paid half that to get my aero kit sideskirts painted. Once it's done you might want to spend abother hundred or so on a clear bra. To find a shop, you could try asking your local BMW dealership who they outsource work to, or check the classic car forums to see who's popular with those guys.

chickdr 09-10-2012 05:47 AM

I would say "no" to Maaco. It is fine for a beater, but not a BMW.

ldspiker 09-10-2012 06:54 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. That is good info I can use

Terry J. Harris 09-10-2012 11:46 AM

The place I will be having repaint my rear quarter panel (from keying) gave me a quote of just under $700. They work on a ton of BMW's, and my local dealer uses them for cars in their inventory needing paint or touch-ups. I've seen my buddy's X3 repaired and painted from significant hail damage, and they did nice work on that.

ldspiker 09-10-2012 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info. Are you talking about Wyoming, MN.? Where exactly is this shop and what is the name of heir busines?

EOD Guy 09-11-2012 04:35 AM

Dude, paint is paint...... the quality of the finished product depands on the prep work and the skills of the painter. I paid the BMW dealer's painter 8K to paint my Z3, what a sorry piece of work that was. I had to threaten to sue before they buffed the orange peel out. Thier attitude....It's as good as that 78 plymouth horizion we just finished....it's really shiney...... my reply..... If I was driving a 78 plymouth horizion, we wouldn't be having this conversation!

Point being, just because it cost more, doesn't mean it's a better paint job. Ask to see finished projects, not sample squares, and make sure they understand.....if it doesn't look like that, you don't get paid...... you'd be suprised how that little statement, in writing, will get you a better paint job.

ldspiker 09-11-2012 09:27 AM

Thanks for the insights!!! That is news I can use and is a good reminder of that not to do.

BK85 09-11-2012 07:09 PM

We just got our 97 repainted because of clear coat going bad and some repair paint done by the previous owner. We shopped around and got anything from $300 at Macco to $6.000 at BMW. We happened on this small local guy that does repaints for some of the small used dealers around town. We spent $1,200. Was it perfect, no. Was it 300 percent better than what we had or Macco, oh yes! Our baby shines again. And from more than 6" away it looks great. He even pulled off the headlights and sanded them down to like new.

So you might check around some of the local used car lots and see who they use for repaints. Might be worth it.

Oh the photo is before, haven't done the after photo shoot yet.

BK85

ldspiker 09-11-2012 10:52 PM

Thanks for yo.ur input.............that is good info I can use. Your BEMER looks like mine..........white with black top. Mine has red seats

Terry J. Harris 09-12-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldspiker (Post 7066234)
Thanks for the info. Are you talking about Wyoming, MN.? Where exactly is this shop and what is the name of heir busines?

Nope. Cheyenne, Wyoming - about 90 miles north of Denver. My paint work will be done in Fort Collins, Colorado, about 40 minutes south of me.

STIHLBOLTS 09-13-2012 08:23 AM

I got my nose repainted, side skirts done and some misc emblems installed for $1100 at a good shop in Tallahassee. (They did great work on the paint part, some of the misc things were left lacking but I fixed them myself).

I would shop around, I had asked my guy about doing the whole car at a later date and their price was closer to $4500. I guess paint shop pricing is what the market will bear and the quality of the job really does not always go long with the price tag attached.

Good luck.

Bob2.8 09-13-2012 09:05 AM

I can give you the number of a "country" shop outside of Duluth if you like.