Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   1986 325es horn stopped working (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644869)

bmwlrj 09-10-2012 10:44 AM

1986 325es horn stopped working

Some time ago my horn was barely making a sound...very soft tone...now it is not working at all...the fuse is fine....I do not see in manual a diagram of relays so I do not know which is horn relay...questions:

* which is horn relay?
* how do I test it?
* (silly question) but where is the horn assembly
* I recently fixed a signal switch problem with electrical contact cleaner....could this be related?

Thanks,

Lonnie

csharpe3 09-24-2012 06:09 PM

I just got my 325i and the horn does not work either. In the process of fixing other things(Gauges) I pulled the steering wheel off and noticed the horn contact is bad. It is supposed to have a spring in it to keep contact with the horn switch.

I'm too new to know if I can list the supplier. the part online is called a horn contact. You should check it out. Pretty easy to get to but I am not sure how to replace it yet. Cost was right at $8.

downhiller 09-25-2012 05:58 PM

do you really need a horn?

Nick323 09-26-2012 12:58 AM

English as the Queen speaks her

Hooter sounds far more correct than horn ;)
Please do not say this publicly in Africa "My horn is not working as it should" :rofl:
Otherwise tribal medicine might take its toll :yikes:

bmwlrj 09-26-2012 02:52 PM

Hey csharpe3......I am not sure about there being a spring on the switch......can someone confirm....also, I have seen these horn switches online for sale as well but the horn switch that you speak of is riveted to the column assembly...so not sure how to simply remove and secure a replacement.

csharpe3 09-29-2012 06:18 PM

Mine is not making contact with the horn ring. YMMV

csharpe3 09-30-2012 08:53 PM

My horn is now working.

I thought the Horn contact was broke. It was not hitting the horn contact ring on the steering wheel. I little investigation found the contact button has slipped out of the holder. I popped it back in place and the horn works now.

The horns are just in front of the front wheel area. (look behind the side markers)

I find it difficult to believe that that all the horns quit at the same time and would look for a common culprit. (Horn switch etc.)

bmwlrj 10-02-2012 02:56 PM

glad you found the problem...mine is stilll not working.

csharpe3 10-02-2012 09:11 PM

What have you checked so far?

bmwlrj 10-03-2012 01:05 PM

took steering wheel off......removed the 3 horn buttons on steering wheel and cleaned all contacts related to buttons........cleaned part of steer wheel that comes into contact with column and horn switch.....disconnected wire to horn switch on steering column and cleaned all contact points/connections on both sides........cleaned metal part that depresses on horn switch.....checked horn is working by activating alarm and horn works fine...at least the low tone one is working.......horn is still not working when depressing horn buttons on steering wheel...

csharpe3 10-04-2012 04:50 AM

That's what I started with. By any chance did you short the button from the center of the column (horn contact) to the center shaft the wheel connects to? What about to Ground? This would eliminate the button, switches, and that you have a good ground.

I don't have a manual yet to investigate the wiring but just trying to work via elimination?

You cleaned the contact button and saw the "spring action" on it I was talking about so it was not frozen. Just under the column you can disconnect that button and touch the wire to any ground and the horn should go crazy. If not you don't have power to it. Then you would need to check power to the circuit.

I found this simple diagram that might help.
http://ocw.weber.edu/automotive-tech...rocess/example

bmwlrj 10-04-2012 03:16 PM

button on switch has "spring action" okay...I willl next unplug wire and ground to see if horn sounds off...very good suggestions, thank you.