Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Things that are suppose to be there, but are missing (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645226)

MNX1024 09-11-2012 08:59 PM

Things that are suppose to be there, but are missing

So, after reading through a couple of threads, I found out that there are a couple of things that is missing, even though it suppose to come standard or is standard to its package.

Here are a list of those things

iDrive System - Suppose to come standard on all Trim
M Sport steering wheel with paddle shifters - Advertise as a standard on M Sport Line, but needs to be request with a code

The above two was what I gathered from reading, anyone has anything else to add to the list or would like to correct it? Let me know and I will update it. If you have the code, please let me know, I will update it on the list. Believe this will be a good source of information for potential buyers so they won't be confused or have their order delayed.

stary 09-11-2012 10:38 PM

given that the language for the M-sport and Sport-line say "2-way manual headrests and driver-seat and mirror memory", i took that to mean power seats, at least the driver's...

the_fox 09-12-2012 06:28 AM

To be safe, after placing the order, you should ask for a build sheet from your dealer with all the options and codes. If there's a mistake and you catch it before the car is in production, they can fix it for you. I was really lucky with Justin (board sponsor here) who added the paddle shifters for me without me asking... You don't see that kind of commitment from a dealer very often :thumbup:

lovemygsp 09-12-2012 04:44 PM

I still can't get over the fact that I had to pay $1000 for freaking power seats. Manual wasn't an option as my husband and I have almost a foot height difference and we both will be frequently driving the car.

And yes the idrive not being standard was a bit disappointing but I knew that going into the car. I had a moment though where my online manual stated "x1 with idrive" and actually thought we were getting idrive for a few minutes. alllwell.... less stuff to break.

MNX1024 09-12-2012 05:21 PM

How do we get iDrive if it's not standard? How do we tell if iDrive is even present?

stary 09-12-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemygsp (Post 7070290)
I still can't get over the fact that I had to pay $1000 for freaking power seats. Manual wasn't an option as my husband and I have almost a foot height difference and we both will be frequently driving the car.

And yes the idrive not being standard was a bit disappointing but I knew that going into the car. I had a moment though where my online manual stated "x1 with idrive" and actually thought we were getting idrive for a few minutes. alllwell.... less stuff to break.

Did you get your phone to sync music via USB?

the_fox 09-12-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNX1024 (Post 7070352)
How do we get iDrive if it's not standard? How do we tell if iDrive is even present?

iDrive is part of the Technology Package (order code ZTP).

lovemygsp 09-13-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stary (Post 7070392)
Did you get your phone to sync music via USB?

I won't have my car for at least another 3 weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNX1024 (Post 7070352)
How do we tell if iDrive is even present?

You'll know if its thre because there will be a nav type screen and a joystick on the center console. Those without idrive only have a storage compartment.

stary 09-13-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemygsp (Post 7073103)
I won't have my car for at least another 3 weeks.

gotcha - should be figured out by then... hopefully

bimmerized 09-14-2012 10:55 AM

another thing you may not get, depending on your Line choice, is the Chrome Tailpipe Finishers. My xLine came with satin silver ones.

Dynamic Cruise Control is said to be standard, and although equipped with Cruise, I don't see anything dynamic about it other than it's ability to apply the breaks when going down hill...

pixelated 09-15-2012 09:22 PM

Power tailgate!

stary 09-18-2012 08:03 PM

anyone planning on contacting BMWUSA over mis-advertised options? i am. hoping for some sort of compensation over the paddle shifters, lack of power seats, lack of iDrive, and now possible lack of iPhone music streaming.

Wolfex 09-18-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stary (Post 7082427)
anyone planning on contacting BMWUSA over mis-advertised options? i am. hoping for some sort of compensation over the paddle shifters, lack of power seats, lack of iDrive, and now possible lack of iPhone music streaming.

Good luck. I complained and got nowhere with BMW America. They told me to talk to the dealer. I made the dealer reorder the car. They screwed that up so I had to re-order a third time.

stary 09-18-2012 10:32 PM

according to my dealer he has never seen an f-up like this before so i'm sure there will be plenty of upset people in the next few months ... what's the dealer supposed to do with it? i ended up buying the car in the end, so now it's on me, but there will definitely be a lot of people complaining about improper advertising and at some point one of these people will be a lawyer who will take advantage... it's just too big of a bait and switch for it to not account for something in the end.

stary 09-27-2012 06:14 PM

Sent this email on Monday:
My wife and I took delivery of our new X1 a few weeks ago and both we and our dealer were disappointed to find that several items we were expecting on the car were not there.

This is for vin # XXX

The missing items are:

#1 No paddle shifters, advertised as included standard on M-sport package.
#2 No power seats, as advertised as standard ("Driver's seat memory") on M-sport package.
#3 No iDrive, previously advertised as "standard" on ALL X1 models on the BMWUSA website when we ordered our car in June, but which has since been updated and removed from the website.

Who should we contact to address these issues? Our dealer indicated we needed to take the matter up with BMWUSA.

I got an email back today (Thursday):
"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. Your information has been forwarded to XXX at 1-800-831-1117. She is researching your inquiry and will call you soon to further assist you."

Also I have the equipment and option list on PDF that was revised on June 11th 2012 that lists iDrive as standard on all models. The current version on the website was revised on August 2nd, and deleted any reference to iDrive availability. We ordered our car June 28th, before the latest "revision."

Wolfex 09-27-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stary (Post 7100756)
Sent this email on Monday:
My wife and I took delivery of our new X1 a few weeks ago and both we and our dealer were disappointed to find that several items we were expecting on the car were not there.

This is for vin # XXX

The missing items are:

#1 No paddle shifters, advertised as included standard on M-sport package.
#2 No power seats, as advertised as standard ("Driver's seat memory") on M-sport package.
#3 No iDrive, previously advertised as "standard" on ALL X1 models on the BMWUSA website when we ordered our car in June, but which has since been updated and removed from the website.

Who should we contact to address these issues? Our dealer indicated we needed to take the matter up with BMWUSA.

I got an email back today (Thursday):
"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. Your information has been forwarded to XXX at 1-800-831-1117. She is researching your inquiry and will call you soon to further assist you."

Also I have the equipment and option list on PDF that was revised on June 11th 2012 that lists iDrive as standard on all models. The current version on the website was revised on August 2nd, and deleted any reference to iDrive availability. We ordered our car June 28th, before the latest "revision."

I got nowhere with BMW USA. They said I need to go to the dealer with the issue. I suggest writing bad reviews about the car and the dealer on every car site you can and tell BMW you did so. I will do the same. If enough people complain their user ratings will go down.

Maybe a lawyer can help but if you took possession even knowing the items were missing I don't know.

I made them reorder the car for me. Hope it works out for you.

stary 09-27-2012 08:07 PM

The thing is, it's not like my car is a fluke... until they actually address the problem, every car with the M-sport package won't come with the paddle shifters as advertised ... that will generate bad feedback on it's own... i would think they would want to address the issue

HotRodW 09-27-2012 09:15 PM

I continue to negotiate a resolution on the paddle shifter issue. To this point, the dealer has maintained an intermediary position, and I have had no direct contact with BMW. The current offer on the table is a $500 credit for accessories. That's ideal for BMW because factoring in margins, the actual cost to them is likely pretty low. But BMW doesn't offer the full line of accessories here in the US, and the stuff I really want isn't available here. I have already purchased my winter wheels and tires, and I'm not the kind of guy to wear BMW jackets, hats and polo shirts. So I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm trying to relay that you really can't put a price on the satisfaction of using the paddles - an experience I've forever been denied. What can be quantified eventually is the lower resale value, but we have no idea if that will be $50 or $500 when it comes time to get rid of the car.

It seems to me BMW needs to come up with a standard resolution for all buyers. It's in their best interest to be proactive in resolving the issue before the situation causes more embarrassment. Plus, if some get a better deal than the others, that could lead to yet another round of complaints. And of course if somebody gets disgruntled enough, legal action is always a possibility. What a mess!

wcinvest 09-27-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotRodW (Post 7101120)
I continue to negotiate a resolution on the paddle shifter issue. To this point, the dealer has maintained an intermediary position, and I have had no direct contact with BMW. The current offer on the table is a $500 credit for accessories. That's ideal for BMW because factoring in margins, the actual cost to them is likely pretty low. But BMW doesn't offer the full line of accessories here in the US, and the stuff I really want isn't available here. I have already purchased my winter wheels and tires, and I'm not the kind of guy to wear BMW jackets, hats and polo shirts. So I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm trying to relay that you really can't put a price on the satisfaction of using the paddles - an experience I've forever been denied. What can be quantified eventually is the lower resale value, but we have no idea if that will be $50 or $500 when it comes time to get rid of the car.

It seems to me BMW needs to come up with a standard resolution for all buyers. It's in their best interest to be proactive in resolving the issue before the situation causes more embarrassment. Plus, if some get a better deal than the others, that could lead to yet another round of complaints. And of course if somebody gets disgruntled enough, legal action is always a possibility. What a mess!

I am at fault for overlooking paddle shifters while ordering my base X1 but not getting them is the only decision I clearly regret on the car I ordered with iDrive and not much else. Chances are I wouldn't have used them much but the invoice price for folks having to order them separately was only $110 so I should have taken a flyer on them. My gut suspicion is paddle shifters are literally the only option that may actually increase in value. In terms of resale after 4 years, my guess they are worth $60 to $150 on most of the models but $100 to $200+ on the M Sport since those drivers are more likely to use them. Edmunds won't show those values but I'm talking about in the real world not some formula for depreciation on specific options that sometimes is wrong for a particular car.

Frankly, I think a fair offer from BMW would be $500 cash or they retrofit the paddle shifters. The $500 cash is enough from BMW that it would limit them having to do the retrofit. The buyers who were misled by BMW's documentation should have the option.

If BMW didn't offer free maintenance, a $500 credit to be used for dealership service would be more appealing.

If BMW accessories are priced anywhere near Mercedes accessories, then you are absolutely right to be skeptical of the value of $500 in accessories. If tires are included, you could buy two popular tires and sell them or store them but you shouldn't have to do that.

sq 09-27-2012 11:19 PM

I was REALLY ticked about the missing power seats but thought if I liked the car I could overlook it. But, the more I thought about how I was paying north of 36,000 for a car without even power seats, the less able I was to rationalize why I would want to do that. So, I refused delivery. I couldn't wait for a re-order (already in a rental for 3mos) so went an bought an e90, not from a dealership (not planned, just worked out that way) so BMW completely lost a sale.

RVExotics 09-28-2012 08:58 AM

Curious sq, I assume you put down a deposit when you placed the order. How easily did the dealership refund the deposit, or did they refund it at all?

stary 09-28-2012 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
PDF of original (June 2012) X1 standard and options guide (note iDrive included as standard).

sq 10-01-2012 01:30 PM

We will see.

I put down a $1,000 deposit and was assured over and over again that it was completely refundable if I did not like the car for any reason. The salesman said he needed to talk to his manager to get them to cut me a check and mail it to me. If I've not gotten it by this coming weekend, they will be getting a visit from me to confirm that the check has been mailed or I will insist they cut it on the spot. There is no excuse to hang onto my money at this point.

stary 10-01-2012 08:53 PM

BMWUSA called me today. They seemed very interested in the issues surrounding the car, had not heard anything about it. After I finished telling them my story they asked what sort of compensation I was looking for. I asked about the possibility of retrofitting the car. They said they'll look into the cost but also assured me they will definitely be compensating us.

faustas 10-02-2012 11:40 AM

Hi all,

So I am in the middle of configuring the BMW and all these options (or missing ones) are confusing me.

First of all, if there is no iDrive, would one still be able to plug a smartphone (i.e. iPhone) in via the USB interface and play music? Has anyone confirmed that it doesn't work?

Not sure if everyone is aware of this. If you build the X1 online starting with the M package and subsequently want to add paddle shifters, you will lose the M wheels.