Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E28 (1982 - 1988) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645229)

cBeamer 09-11-2012 10:11 PM

Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Right now I am running a 1987 535is, with a stunning automatic transmission, however, I would love to be driving it manually. I cannot bear to part with the car itself so I was wondering if anyone here could give any advice for making a transmission swap.

Possible trade or sale? I have done some reading, and compared to other peoples automatics my transmission seems to be in near perfect condition.

Any pointers (and or bids :D) would be greatly appreciated!

south26 09-12-2012 04:41 AM

Not sure what you are asking. Are you looking for a manual swap or are you looking to sell your car?

If a swap you can get one for 5 to 600 plus shipping. If you are selling it then you should post with pics.

Andy

cBeamer 09-12-2012 07:22 AM

I am looking to get a manual transmission to put in my car.

But, I was also saying that I have a decent automatic transmission that I would be taking out, and if anyone wants it or would know where to sell it that would be helpful.

south26 09-13-2012 04:48 AM

Ok, then I would look for a manual swap on mye28.com there are a lot more people on there. I would not expect many to be very interested in the auto tranny, I have been trying to sell a 4hp22 for the m30 for 4 years.
As to the manual swap you will need
1. Tranny, you can use a 260/5,260/6, or the 265 getrag. It has to be for the m30 engine. The m20 used the same trannies but they had different bellhousings. You can not use a tranny from a e34 because it does not have the sensor holes in the bellhousing. Gethe cross member with the tranny.
2. Drive shaft. You need to get the drive shaft to what ever tranny you get, the 3 different trannies use differnt lengths of driver shaft.
3. Hard lines and soft lines
4. Slave
5. Pedals need to be from a e28 manual. The master is on the pedals
6. Flywheel. The 83 533i had a lighter flywheel that works very nicely. It is 16lbs verses 22lb with the other 535i flywheels.
7. I would put in a new clutch and not a used one.
plastic flat screw thing that goes under the manual pedal.

Good luck

Andy

BMWFatherFigure 09-13-2012 07:43 PM

Look for a manual wreck - buy whole and use the bits you need. Fix all the other bits your car needs from the wreck. Resell the wreck complete with all the parts you take out. Parting takes ages, leaves you with scrap and is a general PIA IMO.

south26 09-14-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7072881)
Look for a manual wreck - buy whole and use the bits you need. Fix all the other bits your car needs from the wreck. Resell the wreck complete with all the parts you take out. Parting takes ages, leaves you with scrap and is a general PIA IMO.

Yes getting a whole parts car is easier, but parting is not that bad I have parted 11 e28 and 4 e34. It usually takes about 3 months to get rid of most of the parts.

Andy

BMWFatherFigure 10-07-2012 08:01 PM

How did it all go?