Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   IPod Integration on X1 without Nav? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645350)

mullini 09-12-2012 01:24 PM

IPod Integration on X1 without Nav?

The Glacier Silver X1 from dealer allocation that I have a deposit on should be arriving next week and at the dealership by next weekend.

I have one nagging concern - my X1's options are strictly the Premium pkg, which is fine by me, although I wouldn't mind the Lighting/Xenon.

When I was test driving we tried to attach an IPod Touch, but we were in a bit of a rush and when we couldn't get it to read, we just moved on. A salesman supposedly known for his tech knowledge swore to us that the audio system will read current IPods and that basic track info will scroll across the tiny tiny stereo screen. Now if we were getting Tech/Nav with the bigger screen I am sure that system would read the IPod, etc., and show track info. But does the stereo without Nav do so, 100% for sure?

In my 2006 Lexus IS250 I can listen to my Ipod through the stereo, but I get no track info. The one thing I would like in a new car in terms of stereo is to see track info for the IPod, as I listen to a wide variety of music in my playlists and sometimes tracks come on where I myself want to check the title/artist. believe me, once or twice I have been naughty and picked up my Ipod while attached to try and read track info while driving...with my eyesight, almost as bad as texting...

So if at this late date I find the stereo in the car I have my name on won't do anymore than my 2006 IS...might be time for a rethink...

Thanks for any assurances or other info...

stary 09-21-2012 12:46 PM

I had problems getting our non-iDrive stereo to read iPhone music via the USB and it turns out the BMW supplied cable was bad - dealer replaced it and now it works. Our car is pretty bone stock, so yours should be fine too. We were using a 4s. Also, if you just put MP3s on a flash drive and plug that into the USB port the car will automatically read them too... pretty nifty.

mullini 09-21-2012 01:01 PM

Thanks! Does only a BMW supplied cable work? A typical Apple cable won't work? A flash drive sounds good, too. I am just used to loading playlists into my IPod.

Well my Glacier Silver X1 should be on its way to the dealership but strangely, I haven't heard from my CA for almost two weeks...

stary 09-21-2012 02:06 PM

white iPod cable will work if you have the Enhanced Bluetooth upgrade which you would have had to order...

kjboyd 09-22-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stary (Post 7088222)
I had problems getting our non-iDrive stereo to read iPhone music via the USB and it turns out the BMW supplied cable was bad - dealer replaced it and now it works. Our car is pretty bone stock, so yours should be fine too. We were using a 4s. Also, if you just put MP3s on a flash drive and plug that into the USB port the car will automatically read them too... pretty nifty.

Glad it all worked out.

afshawnt 09-22-2012 12:37 PM

I'm curious, does BMW provide the new Y-cable for the non enhanced BT customers? Or do I need to purchase that separate?

In 2010 it was included, but back then it came with the "iPod" option as BMW apps didn't exist yet.

If it is I will have to ask my CA before I leave for ED

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App

mullini 09-22-2012 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the info. However, as of this morning I went from waiting for an X1 S28, Glacier Silver with only premium (which I believe is now in California and should be on its way to my closest dealership soon) to placing an order on one with Ultimate, Lighting, and Harmon-Kardon. In Mineral Grey. I just realized that it is foolish to compromise on what you want when it comes to a purchase like this, as long as I can stay within my budget (which I did, just barely). So I guess the IPod thing will definitely work out.

Now I have to wait another 8 weeks +. Oh well! I'll survive...

the_fox 09-22-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullini (Post 7090115)
Thanks for all the info. However, as of this morning I went from waiting for an X1 S28, Glacier Silver with only premium (which I believe is now in California and should be on its way to my closest dealership soon) to placing an order on one with Ultimate, Lighting, and Harmon-Kardon. In Mineral Grey. I just realized that it is foolish to compromise on what you want when it comes to a purchase like this, as long as I can stay within my budget (which I did, just barely). So I guess the IPod thing will definitely work out.

Now I have to wait another 8 weeks +. Oh well! I'll survive...

+1 Good reasoning :thumbup: