Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   318i New to me (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645916)

BMWFatherFigure 09-15-2012 06:17 AM

318i New to me

A quick list of things that need attention in my new family member - some so common I should have guessed some specific to errors by PO's. It has 350K Kms or 217K miles.
Should have Known:rolleyes::
Water pump; Fan Clutch; Timing Belt; Lots of Blown Globes; Front Suspension Bushes. A/C Regas.
Oh Look What I found:eek::
Rear Wheel Bearing; A/C Pulley Bearing; Cracked Sump; Broken Exhaust; Main Bearing Growl (over 3500rpm); Oxide on Lamp Holders; Split Boot Base of Gear Lever (manual);Front Seat Rails Rusted and Jamed; No Signal to Radio From Aerial. Gearbox Drain Plug Overtightened (and Now Damaged Trying to Remove it:cry:).

That will teach me to have a 'thing' about old BMW's:rofl:

BMWFatherFigure 09-20-2012 05:34 PM

Wrenching away on my days off. Rear wheel bearing replaced (makes a good baby rattle); sump replaced (no more leaks); exhaust setion replaced (easier that I hoped it would be); Seat rails clean out (30 cents better off); brighter interior with lamps fixed, and just to cap it all the thermostat on the E23 died (closed of course) and caused a waste of 2hr. Gotta love old BM's.

Nick323 09-21-2012 03:30 AM

You have proven my theorem: We get an e30 to stay out of the Missus way :rofl:

downhiller 09-21-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7087444)

i bought a ducati to do that. cant afford to wrench on cars anymore so i just go ride. its a good thing.

BMWFatherFigure 09-21-2012 09:23 PM

Thanks lads! I no longer so alone in my addiction:D

Nick323 09-24-2012 02:56 AM

Ridin instead of wrenchin

I made a fatal mistake, whilst you
Code:

bought a ducati to do that
I bought a 82 BMW R80GS.
Now the missus wants to join whenever I go for a ride ;)
Even if the ride is a bit more adventerous...

BMWFatherFigure 09-24-2012 07:19 AM

Still working through the problems. Rebuilt the 'new' driver's door lock so it fits the original key. Hate the 2 key car. Also repaired the rear ash tray (I don't smoke) by looking in my spares and making one out of two. Will anybody notice? Why do I bother?:dunno: :tsk: I just have to...:loco:

downhiller 09-24-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7092836)
Still working through the problems. Rebuilt the 'new' driver's door lock so it fits the original key. Hate the 2 key car. Also repaired the rear ash tray (I don't smoke) by looking in my spares and making one out of two. Will anybody notice? Why do I bother?:dunno: :tsk: I just have to...:loco:

starting to sound like steve there.

Quote:

I made a fatal mistake, whilst you
im lucky enough to where the lady doesnt want to ride with me, not cause i dont want her to, she doesnt like to be on motorcycles. and since i went with the hyper 796, and my love for leaning, she will get scared.

Cletonius 09-24-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7087444)

My wife likes to wrench, she helped me with my fusebox rebuild and again when we stripped a car to the frame in our friend's driveway.

Keeps it interesting, nothing beats a little fun while you're having fun wrenching...

BMWFatherFigure 09-29-2012 12:46 AM

With you Cletonius, trouble is the Mustang owning daughter is prone to wandering in so I have to listen for approaching footsteps. More progress made, however. Changed front strut inserts (totally F@#$%^d - just flopped about), serviced the front brakes and shampood trunk liner. I can almost be proud to own and happy to drive at this rate.

BMWFatherFigure 10-05-2012 09:37 PM

Still wrenching/wenching. New strut inserts - old ones allowed constantly varying camber angle and clunked - a lot! Wheel alignment done - it's going back - not happy yet. Washers fixed - removed the one way valves and replaced with 'T' piece. Repaired PO's 'fix' to boot-to-dash aerial wire. Replaced rear speakers. Can now listen to radio!!

Billwill 10-06-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7116921)
Still wrenching/wenching. New strut inserts - old ones allowed constantly varying camber angle and clunked - a lot! Wheel alignment done - it's going back - not happy yet. Washers fixed - removed the one way valves and replaced with 'T' piece. Repaired PO's 'fix' to boot-to-dash aerial wire. Replaced rear speakers. Can now listen to radio!!

What do the camshaft and rockers look like?
There is an issue that the oil feed pipe going over the cam can get blocked leading to cam wear.

There is also an issue that the oil pump located in the sump comes loose on its bolts and falls off and also an issue with the gasket on the sump....if it is not fitted properly the oil pump may fail.

Have you replaced the cambelt and idler pulleys?

Just trying to keep you busy:D

BMWFatherFigure 10-06-2012 06:15 PM

*ironic* 'Oh thanks another list of fixes for me'. Seriously - Belt and all pulleys all changed. Oil feed pipe probs known to me and it is comming off next days not at work (I work a 8 day roster so week ends are things other people look forward to). Sump was cracked when I got the car so it has been replaced and interior checked. Hopefully I won't run into some of the problems you mention.

It does have main bearing growl (over 3k rpm) and use a bit of oil, but at 350k kms and several missed services (thanks PO) but I still love driving it.

Just for pose factor while doing the oil pipe I shall polish the rocker cover fins and BMW roundel and satin bleck the rest - very 'M'.

Billwill 10-07-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7118058)
*ironic* 'Oh thanks another list of fixes for me'. Seriously - Belt and all pulleys all changed. Oil feed pipe probs known to me and it is comming off next days not at work (I work a 8 day roster so week ends are things other people look forward to). Sump was cracked when I got the car so it has been replaced and interior checked. Hopefully I won't run into some of the problems you mention.

It does have main bearing growl (over 3k rpm) and use a bit of oil, but at 350k kms and several missed services (thanks PO) i still love drining it.

Just for pose factor while doing the oil pipe I shall polish the rocker cover fins and BMW roundel and satin bleck the rest - very 'M'.

Exactly what I did...... including the complete intake manifolds....looks very neat:thumbup:

BMWFatherFigure 10-07-2012 02:48 AM

Had not considered the intake manifold - oh dear another job. Did you consider the exhaust manifold? Has to be sandblasted first to gat all the surface rust off. Then 2 coats of 'heat proof cast iron'.
It lasts about 2-3yrs: or has on my E23. More manifold to see on the E30 though.

BMWFatherFigure 10-09-2012 03:22 AM

Oil pipe and valve cover done. No problems found. Valve cover looks ace. Removed glove box to wash out old sweets (candies) left by PO. Did a minor amount of damage but looks xlnt! Correctly aligned unit when I refitted it and now it closes smooothly.

BMWFatherFigure 10-17-2012 10:00 PM

Polished ribs on intake manifold now, Almost proud to open the bonnet and check oil at servos now. Also a pose on club runs.

BMWFatherFigure 02-06-2013 10:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures are proof. The second photo is supposed to show the polished ribs on top of the inlet manifold. :D

Billwill 02-06-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7364980)
Pictures are proof. The second photo is supposed to show the polished ribs on top of the inlet manifold. :D

Yep.....looks similar to my M40....definitely looks better.

The darn BMW agents stole my black plastic cover that covers the throttle linkage years ago when I still used the agents...need to find a new one.

Now I need to pull the old rotting sponge off the inside of the bonnet (hood) and replace it with some new stuff.:cry:

_Ethrty-Andy_ 02-06-2013 11:15 PM

i painted my intake as well on my M40. i did a pretty rough job though, i was having beers while i was doing it and still haven't finished it off come 6 months later. better than oil stained though, and its just a hack anyways.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...i/ec22d710.jpg

BMWFatherFigure 02-07-2013 06:00 AM

Hack? Maybe. Better than a new i30? Every day!!

_Ethrty-Andy_ 02-07-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7365300)
Hack? Maybe. Better than a new i30? Every day!!

the perants of two separate friends of mine have both brought an i30, i dont think they look too bad for what they are. havent driven them though. I learnt to drive in a Suzuki SJ410 on a farm, but my first on road experience was in an Accent im going to say it was 2003 isn but not sure. i really liked that car, i would have brought one at the time except wasnt in my price range, and got my Sentra instead.

BMWFatherFigure 02-07-2013 11:31 PM

I didn't go 4X4 until I got to Australia. Then I had Hi Roof Sierra, (the now) mid base Vitara and lastly a XL7. Then I got the BMW/MINI thing. All down hill from there. Next stop Rolls Royce I guess!! (Still think your E30 beats the #$%^ out of any Hyundai).

Nick323 02-08-2013 01:22 AM

Hijack

Since this thread is now thoroughly hijacked :rofl:
I started my "driving" career in a Beetle :yikes:
That was probably the best move ever :thumbup:

FatherFigure, you are not a Southern Hemisphere dweller by birth :dunno:

Ethrty-Andy you disappoint me :cry:
I thought you would be able to multitask ;)
Actually anybody who comes from the southern hemisphere should be able to do any task, as well or better with a brewsky in hand :bigpimp:

Billwill 02-08-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ (Post 7365030)
i painted my intake as well on my M40. i did a pretty rough job though, i was having beers while i was doing it and still haven't finished it off come 6 months later. better than oil stained though, and its just a hack anyways.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...i/ec22d710.jpg

This paint job is not acceptable....you are letting your beautiful M40 lady down.:cry:

Please post pics when you have re-done the work properly....it only involves totally removing the intake manifolds....no big deal:p

Actually you could mask off most of the stuff there and re-spray.