Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Condensation on OUTSIDE front windshield (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646201)

joebruin 09-16-2012 09:26 PM

Condensation on OUTSIDE front windshield

Hi Guys, I just purchased a 2012 550i. I have noticed a lot of condensation on the front windshield, on the OUTSIDE, towards the bottom of the windshield. Any ideas??

schnell525 09-16-2012 10:39 PM

check where you vents are positioned, especially center vents if they are set on "cold" (up is cold, blue box vs. red box). if you have a bunch of cold air at high blast aimed towards the windshield, you willl get condenseation and in the summer build on the exterior glass. place the vents to point inside the cabin. sync the temps to the same temp IMO, and use recirculate. blue ='s cold.

i live in a very fluctuative climate with dewpoints and humidity, and i haven't had a problem. good luck!

Gran Turismo 09-17-2012 01:42 AM

Make sure the windscreen is not cooled down excessively by the AC (I dont' think it's a vent positioning thing, rather an air distribution setting issue to the defrost vents) or simply occasionally use the wipers.

dunccfp 09-17-2012 07:25 AM

Simple. The air outside is warmer. You probably have the defrost vent turned on and the cold air cools the windshield and the air right around the windshield is cooler and cooler air holds less moisturer hence the condensation. Hit auto on your system and your problem will be alleviated.

markl53 09-17-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunccfp (Post 7078622)
Simple. The air outside is warmer. You probably have the defrost vent turned on and the cold air cools the windshield and the air right around the windshield is cooler and cooler air holds less moisturer hence the condensation. Hit auto on your system and your problem will be alleviated.

I had an MB C-Class that did this all the time in hot, humid weather. The air distribution was set up to always deliver a very small amount of air through the upper defrost vents to help with overall cabin circulation. I've had my 535i for two years though, and have never noticed this, nor ever checked for air coming through the upper vents when in normal "hot weather" auto air distribution.

mg650 09-17-2012 04:49 PM

Maybe obvious but make sure your dash bents are open. If closed could be routing more air to the windshield.

joebruin 09-17-2012 05:33 PM

problem solved. I had the cold air coming out onto the windshield. No it is only coming out of the center vents and lower vents.

markl53 09-19-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebruin (Post 7079753)
problem solved. I had the cold air coming out onto the windshield. No it is only coming out of the center vents and lower vents.

Do you leave the air distribution in auto mode or do it yourself? Just curious if the auto mode was pushing air to the windshield.

joebruin 09-19-2012 08:12 PM

I do it manually, it is possible that in auto mode it was directing some cold air to the windshield