Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Can I Change the Service Number in BMW Connected Drive? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646326)

astirling 09-17-2012 01:36 PM

Can I Change the Service Number in BMW Connected Drive?

Hi,

I've recently bought a BMW from a dealership which is over 300 miles away from where I live. The car is great but I notice that the service number listed in the BMW assist menu on iDrive corresponds to the dealership where I bought the car. Can I change this as I will obviously be servicing my car at a dealership a bit closer to home.

Many thanks

Andrew

tturedraider 09-17-2012 06:34 PM

It can be changed. Push the SOS button and ask the Assist Service Center to make the change. Caveat - I think this should work for you in the UK, but I'm giving U.S. advice.

astirling 09-17-2012 11:28 PM

Thanks for that. I'll give that a go. I thought that the SOS function was just for emergencies.

andrew b 09-18-2012 04:22 AM

Darn. I thought this was how to reprogram the SOS button, since mine doesn't do anything anymore.

I want to make it do something cool, like super airspeed boost (a la Men in Black) or ejecter seat (James Bond). :D

astirling 09-18-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7079962)
It can be changed. Push the SOS button and ask the Assist Service Center to make the change. Caveat - I think this should work for you in the UK, but I'm giving U.S. advice.

Haha. Just tried that and in the uk, the SOS button calls emergency services. Essentially the equivalent of 911. I apologised and asked politely if the operator could end the call as i couldn't see any way of disconnecting from my end. After ensuring that there was no emergency he eventually hung up.

I didn't bother to ask if he could change the service centre phone number on my iDrive system.

ERdiesel 09-18-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astirling (Post 7079285)
Hi,

I've recently bought a BMW from a dealership which is over 300 miles away from where I live. The car is great but I notice that the service number listed in the BMW assist menu on iDrive corresponds to the dealership where I bought the car. Can I change this as I will obviously be servicing my car at a dealership a bit closer to home.

Many thanks

Andrew

Call the dealership closer to where you live and ask them how this can be done.

astirling 09-18-2012 12:35 PM

Yeah. I'll try customer service...then the dealer. Maybe it needs to be done by the dealer, in which case it will wait until the service is actually due. Unless I have a reason for a visit sooner of course.

astirling 10-04-2012 11:31 AM

Tried customer service and they advised that the dealer was required to change this. My car was in at the dealer today having some minor warranty work carried out (steering wheel squeak / whine at low speeds) so I asked if they could update the service number.
My car was returned to me with the fault fix but the technician advised that he was unable to change the service number as he did not know how!