Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   fog lights (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646329)

beemer1804 09-17-2012 01:45 PM

fog lights

if my fog light indicator comes on when switched to the on position eluminates but my fog lights are not coming on, does it mean my bulbs just need to be changed, keep in mind i have HID FOGS, if my ballast is not working of the bulb is just blown will my indicator turn on regardless? and on the cluster console it says to check foglamps, if anybody have any ideas please let me know.

Flyingman 09-18-2012 06:06 PM

Beemr, I see you got no takers.

I just got a fog light warning so before turning car off checked my lights. My Left Fog Light is burned out. The warning is present whether the light switch is on or not. They must monitor the resistance through the filament so when it is open (i.e. infinity) the computer recognizes that as a fault.

Now the big question: Is it covered by the maintenance agreement or not???:dunno:

Or, how many BMW afficionados does it take to change a light bulb???

My experience over the years is that as soon as one light burns out, the other is sure to follow, so should go ahead and replace them both.:thumbup:

beemer1804 09-19-2012 12:29 PM

Yea, people tend to miss the simplest things, imna just change them out and see what happens.

War Machine

BMWFatherFigure 09-20-2012 07:36 PM

E38 HID fogs? Must be after market. Standard globe is H3. IMO don't go over wattage as that can damage the unit (excess heat). Can go with +X% light output at same (55) watt power. Also HID's do not use filiments only cathode/anode/gas setup.

beemer1804 09-20-2012 07:39 PM

Can you dumb it down a bit for me? So what your saying is that either my lights are burnt out or my fog unit?

War Machine

BMWFatherFigure 09-20-2012 07:49 PM

Fog Unit?? I think you have H3 globes in the fog lights, not HID. Change the H3 globes. Stick to 55w. Use +x% output if you want to. If you do have HID (not to be confused with xenon globes) then I belive they will be aftermarket by a PO..

beemer1804 09-20-2012 07:55 PM

Yes they are aftermarket, but i will take them out and just put in H3's

War Machine

BMWFatherFigure 09-20-2012 08:08 PM

:thumbup:

Flyingman 09-25-2012 05:57 PM

Be sure and check out the youtube videos on how to replace the drive/fog lights. Not as easy as it might seem at first glance. Involves possibly rasing vehicle up a bit and removing mud skirts, etc...:eek:

BimmerBro 10-04-2012 08:38 PM

I think I read somewhere if you put in any higher wattage than the H3 55w's the system will give a fault. Something about the higher wattage it doesn't like. But can't you get the new h3's in the bright whites? almost xenon look?

beemer1804 10-04-2012 08:48 PM

Well i took out my fog lights and to mysurprise there was water in the connectors, i meed to get new hid's mu fog ligjts were gutted so i cant go back to stock without buying a new fog light assembly

War Machine

BMWFatherFigure 10-05-2012 09:52 PM

You can get H3 globes in lots of colours and wattages. IMO never exceed 55 watts. To get more light select a globe that gives X% more light. Works for me on my cars.

setconstr 10-06-2012 02:05 PM

re

I went through all the foglight changes that everyone has to get white looking fog lights to match the headlight , my advice is use stock BMW bulbs and oem Hella fog lamps the best price I have found is here : http://www.oembimmerparts.com/category_s/1929.htm if you want to go with hid 's then you need to get a kit but my experience is they still throw faults and it just bugged me to much so I went back to stock. I see some ass on Ebay selling what is supposed to be a hid fog lamp but all it is is a chinese fog lamp and an hid kit the whole thing would cost about 40 bucks apiece and he's asking $600.00 so anyway my opinion is go OEM and spend your money on a nice Dice Mediabridge thats something that works great on our cars .............

BMWFatherFigure 10-06-2012 11:16 PM

On the WATTage thread - Watts = HEAT. Heat in excess of the amount the enclosure is designed to disapate will build up and damage the unit to a greater or lesser extent. +X% LIGHT or colour has no effect on the enclosure.