Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Navigation problem or a user problem? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646794)

bsarac 09-19-2012 10:51 AM

Navigation problem or a user problem?

Hey all,

My X3 2011 is doing this weird thing which I feel like started after the software update the address hesitation problem. It's however hard to tell since I took the car back in 2 weeks after purchase for the update.

Here is the problem:

Let's say I need to enter the following address
1800 N. Milwaukee Ave. Chicago IL

I enter:
State: IL
City: Chicago
Street: N Milwaukee

At this point NAV asks me:
-N Milwaukee 60614
-N Milwaukee 60613
-N Milwaukee 60618
-N Milwaukee 60647

List goes on and on and on with different zip codes. Problem is most times I know the address but not the ZIP code. I mean most ppl don't know the zip anyway. So if don't pick the right option, it won't give me the correct street address number choice.

However every single street I tried belongs to one zip code.

In other words there is only one zip code for 1800 N. Milwaukee Ave. Chicago IL and it is 60647

Is BMW really asking as to memorize zip codes or is my nav system screwed up?

02420X3 09-19-2012 11:38 AM

My '11 35i has not been updated, and behaves similarly with that address. I put in:

IL
Chicago
N Mil

and when I right click with iDrive I get a list of villages/neighborhhods (Harwood heights, Jefferson Park, etc., followed by a list of Zip Codes. Each listed village/neighborhood and zip code seems to have a section of N Milwaukee in it. Trying each of them, it's only when I get down to 60647 that I can enter 1800 as a street number. I haven't run into this before. It's got nothing to do with the update, because I don't have it. The problem is likely a GPS data or GPS software logic flaw. I expected, as you apparently did, that the GPS would give me N. Milwaukee Ave, and then let me put in a street number.

I don't know Chicago at all. Is N. Milwaukee unusually long or something?

bsarac 09-19-2012 12:50 PM

Thank you so much for checking into this for me my friend!

Yes it is a long street but regardless of that it shouldn't need a zip because there is only one 1800 n. milwaukee in chicago.

Problem is the issue persists with many streets, here is another example

IL
Chicago
N. Marshfield

These two are the ones I can remember but I had many other streets with same problem.

You also brought up another major concern. Jefferson Park and etc should not even come up as an option.

My dealer is useless I wonder if there is a person at BMW headquarters I should try to reach.

Also I'm curios if 2013 software update resolves any of this

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02420X3 (Post 7083563)
My '11 35i has not been updated, and behaves similarly with that address. I put in:

IL
Chicago
N Mil

and when I right click with iDrive I get a list of villages/neighborhhods (Harwood heights, Jefferson Park, etc., followed by a list of Zip Codes. Each listed village/neighborhood and zip code seems to have a section of N Milwaukee in it. Trying each of them, it's only when I get down to 60647 that I can enter 1800 as a street number. I haven't run into this before. It's got nothing to do with the update, because I don't have it. The problem is likely a GPS data or GPS software logic flaw. I expected, as you apparently did, that the GPS would give me N. Milwaukee Ave, and then let me put in a street number.

I don't know Chicago at all. Is N. Milwaukee unusually long or something?

02420X3 09-19-2012 02:45 PM

I think that this is either bad GPS data, or bad GPS software logic. Sadly, your only options may be to live with it, or move away from Chicago.

My understanding is that there is a new GPS system coming out next April. I doubt that it will be backward compatible.

bsarac 09-19-2012 08:38 PM

Can any 2012 or 2013 users test the addresses for me?

Many thanks!

wedge000 09-23-2012 08:57 PM

I have this same problem in Philadelphia and it was an issue when i was just in Pittsburgh. This part of the NAV is definitely the most annoying. My office is on Arch st. In Philly. The NAV gives me 7 different neighborhoods that I have to choose from in order to be able to enter the correct street address. In Pittsburgh, I don't know neighborhoods at all and again I had to cycle through 8 neighborhoods to find the right one. It's stupid. I can't believe someone would set this up in the program and think that it's a good idea.

bsarac 09-23-2012 09:43 PM

I feel your pain. I was certain this is not just a Chicago issue. I have used navigation on many cars before in addition to mobile phones and portable units. Never once saw a retarded thing like thing before.

Brainomite 09-24-2012 08:58 AM

i have similar issues here in NYC, in fact once was when i was trying to put in address for my local BMW service location.

plus i've now come across 2 different places where the street name in gps is misspelled, bmw gave me the teleatlas (gps database provider) phone number...
they were not even interested in the name of the street to fix their database (no wonder it is terrible), they claimed that there is an option somewhere to fix misspellings on my local gps. of course when i got to the car (they called me back) i see no such option or anything remotely like it.

Marathon Man 09-24-2012 10:06 AM

I have that problem with my home address! The first choice it gives is a different section of the street. With some work I found the right section, but it wasn't obvious even for a street I know perfectly! If you give it a street name and number, it should at least return the section of the street with that number as the first choice. And my house is 55 years old, so this isn't a new map issue.

sahoo007tm 10-21-2012 09:12 AM

I have 2012 535i XDrive NAV sucks!

BMW NAV has a flawed logic. Its expecting to input the zipcode which I often dont know. It should ask the house number and then just the street name. House numbers are not repeated across different zip codes with the same street in the same city. This is how Garmin works.
BMW please fix this and provide an update. I'm forced to use a portable Garmin inspite of paying for the NAV. SO frustrating.

SpaceManGray 11-02-2012 04:38 PM

I have an '11 but my software is updated... and it looks like I got the same thing as 02420X3. That is, I got a list of neighborhoods (Harwood Heights) and then I was able to enter a house number.