Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   First Photos of F80 M3 Engine - Turbo Inline 6 CONFIRMED (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647025)

tim330i 09-20-2012 11:11 AM

First Photos of F80 M3 Engine - Turbo Inline 6 CONFIRMED

BMW F80 M3 turbo charged I6 engine

The next generation BMW M3 sedan, chassis code F80, has been spied with the hood up showing off the engine. As confirmed by BMW CEO Ludwig Willisch at Bimmerfest 2012 the next generation M3 is indeed a twin turbo inline 6 cylinder. This puts to rest any rumors of a V6 engine for the next generation M3. The new M3 engine borrows technology from the M5/M6 engine. The air-to-water intercooler is clearly evident on the right of the motor and the two intake tubes confirm two turbos feeding it. The oil cooler housing is right off the N54/N55 so that gives some hint that engine displacement will be around 3.0 to 3.5 liters. Power is estimated to be 450hp with about the same for torque, putting the M3 above its rivals for power.

The next generation M3 will also be packed with technology to put the power down faster and more effectively. The active differential from the M5/M6 will make its way over, along with an all aluminum suspension and solid mount rear subframe. Look for the M3 to shed considerable weight over the F30 sedan as well making it faster in a straight line as well as through the corners.

View more F80 M3 engine pictures at AutoExpress

Stay tuned for more F80 M3 news as we get it.

tturedraider 09-20-2012 11:20 AM

Hey, tim. Running a little behind? :) I think these were published at least a week ago.

Dave 330i 09-20-2012 11:30 AM

Awe, what did you gain by saying that? :rofl: Now, did the CEO promise better time than the Carrera S at Nürburgring Nordschleife, say 7:50 ish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFp7huFzy3M

dtc100 09-20-2012 12:19 PM

If only one can be had for around $50k:)

energetik9 09-20-2012 01:07 PM

Love to hear the part about a "considerable" weight savings from the current model. Looking forward to seeing the final product and placing my order!

tim330i 09-20-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7085980)
Hey, tim. Running a little behind? :) I think these were published at least a week ago.

I guess, been busy with other news and projects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by energetik9 (Post 7086228)
Love to hear the part about a "considerable" weight savings from the current model. Looking forward to seeing the final product and placing my order!

I can't say exactly how they're going to do it, I was simply told it was going to be considerably lighter -

Quote:

Thomas Schemera: Talking about the weight. The weight is of the essence. We have two components, the power train and the chassis. The chassis must be lighter than before and this is what we have to achieve and what we are going to achieve. So you are going to have a light chassis -- lighter than before. And a very good power train.
Read the entire interview - http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/61364...m6-and-f8x-m3/

The F30 sedan has steel front and rear sub frames so making those out of aluminum would be an easy place to start. Aluminum hood? Or will they go all carbon fiber this time around, a carbon fiber hood, roof and trunk would be a huge weight savings. There are plenty of places to take weight out of the car, what it cost to develop and produce the parts is what holds cars to their portly 3500lbs+ weight.

Tim

Chris90 09-21-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energetik9 (Post 7086228)

It's a BMW, the engine will be 40 lbs lighter and the car will be 200lb heavier

Capobranco 09-21-2012 10:51 AM

No doubt the new M3/M4 will be more powerful and faster - however, for me the crucial question is - will the new M offer the same sense of connectivity which defines the E92 M3 as a true driver's car. My guess is that the new M3/4M4 will be a wonderful car but possess a very different character ŕ la F10 M5. If this change is a good thing or not remains to be seen and driven.

SuperTerp 09-21-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capobranco (Post 7088008)
No doubt the new M3/M4 will be more powerful and faster - however, for me the crucial question is - will the new M offer the same sense of connectivity which defines the E92 M3 as a true driver's car. My guess is that the new M3/4M4 will be a wonderful car but possess a very different character ŕ la F10 M5. If this change is a good thing or not remains to be seen and driven.

I dunno bro, every 2011+ car I've driven x1,x5,328 all just don't feel the same as the prior years, now I realize M is far different, but I'd just be somewhat worried... The engine also doesn't look as menacing, (maybe it'll have a better cover)

Capobranco 09-21-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTerp (Post 7088030)
I dunno bro, every 2011+ car I've driven x1,x5,328 all just don't feel the same as the prior years, now I realize M is far different, but I'd just be somewhat worried... The engine also doesn't look as menacing, (maybe it'll have a better cover)

yep - I'm not a change hater but I realize that change does not necessarily equate to better...
The F10 M5 offers higher performance but I am told it offers a less involving experience...( I have not driven the new M5)

My alternative to the new M4 is a 991 but the 991 has also been morphed into a very different kind of 911 - higher performance but less visceral at real world speeds...a la BMW.

Speaking of Porsches - look at the change from 993 to 996 - you can buy a 996 for next to nothing but 993s are beginning to appreciate. Goes to show that it usually takes some time to realize what you don't have.

If I end up keeping my E92 M3 I won't be unhappy - in terms of my needs and desires I think my E92 M3 is perfect - hard to beat perfect.

Chris90 09-21-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTerp (Post 7088030)

Every non-M car went from hydraulic to electric power steering recently.

Assuming the Ms stick with hydraulic steering, they may not lose the feel that the non-M cars are losing.

Chris90 09-21-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capobranco (Post 7088084)
yep - I'm not a change hater but I realize that change does not necessarily equate to better...
The F10 M5 offers higher performance but I am told it offers a less involving experience...( I have not driven the new M5)

My alternative to the new M4 is a 991 but the 991 has also been morphed into a very different kind of 911 - higher performance but less visceral at real world speeds...a la BMW.

Speaking of Porsches - look at the change from 993 to 996 - you can buy a 996 for next to nothing but 993s are beginning to appreciate. Goes to show that it usually takes some time to realize what you don't have.

If I end up keeping my E92 M3 I won't be unhappy - in terms of my needs and desires I think my E92 M3 is perfect - hard to beat perfect.

993s have always been crazy expensive, cause it was the last of the air-cooled 911s.

I wonder if the last of the naturally aspirated M cars will also retain their value?

SuperTerp 09-21-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capobranco (Post 7088084)
The F10 M5 offers higher performance but I am told it offers a less involving experience...( I have not driven the new M5).

My 335 is in the shop again (picked her up on thursday this morning ses and crazy rpm needle jumping) but I might have to buy the single one they have on the lot lol. I hope my tolerance for free loaners and work lasts till the m3 comes out then I'd seriously consider jumping into it.

All I can say is thank god for the 4 year warranty I don't mind going into the shop once a day as long as its free lol.

Back on the M3 the more I look at that picture the more it rubs me the wrong way lol... I mean it looks like the 4banger!

http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/F/K/1/ag_08m3_engine2.jpg

That is menacing!!! Same with the v10 m5 engine :eeps:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__kjL7rUis0...ine_BMW_M5.jpg

tim330i 09-21-2012 01:10 PM

There is no visible power steering fluid reservoir so I'm thinking it is electronic power steering.

Tim

SuperTerp 09-21-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim330i (Post 7088272)
There is no visible power steering fluid reservoir so I'm thinking it is electronic power steering.

Tim

So what do you think of the look? Or are you going to be stoic and not let us know :D

tim330i 09-21-2012 01:14 PM

The look of the engine bay? I like it, it isn't overly done up with plastic. M engines are technical marvels and complex machinery that shouldn't be covered up with big bits of plastic so you can pop the hood and everything looks nice. You should see the engine, not some covers that look "cool".

Capobranco 09-21-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6hhrX34Pw

SuperTerp 09-21-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim330i (Post 7088278)
The look of the engine bay? I like it, it isn't overly done up with plastic. M engines are technical marvels and complex machinery that shouldn't be covered up with big bits of plastic so you can pop the hood and everything looks nice. You should see the engine, not some covers that look "cool".

lol you can see plenty from the last gen :D its not like lexus :rofl:

http://www.**************/RoadTests/...gineGry-md.jpg

JoeFromPA 09-21-2012 02:52 PM

Very happy if the M3 is going back to an inline six, personally.

My one concern is that the m3, for 25 years, has been a pretty low maintenance and good long-term-ownership car. Bulletproof N/A engines with low levels of complexity helped that.

Now we're going to be introducing multiple turbos, cooling componentry, and a very high specific output for any engine. If it's 3.0 liters and 450hp, it would be 150hp/liter - quite high for a factory output.

Should be a blast to drive, but the 60-90k mile ownership experience will be interesting compared to the relatively easy going e9x, e46, e36, and e30.

P.s. My N/A e39 m5 is an example of a M that is fairly cost to maintain in mid-life, so I know whence from what I speak :)

tturedraider 09-21-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTerp (Post 7088427)
lol you can see plenty from the last gen :D its not like lexus :rofl:

http://www.**************/RoadTests/...gineGry-md.jpg

Lexus owners don't even want to know their car has a motor under the hood and Lexus covers it up for them so they never have to see that nasty thing. :tsk:

GVFlyer 09-21-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

I doubt that the turbo motor will offer the linearity of the NA V8.

enigma 09-22-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Tim

It's been rumored that the F80 will have EPS, and based on the picture, it looks like the rumor may indeed be true.

I hope they get this one right. The EPS implementation on the F10 isn't an encouraging precedence though.

Chris90 09-22-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigma (Post 7090456)
It's been rumored that the F80 will have EPS, and based on the picture, it looks like the rumor may indeed be true.

It can be done well, reportedly the Subaru BRZ and Camaro ZL1 have good steering feel.

enigma 09-23-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris90 (Post 7090469)
It can be done well, reportedly the Subaru BRZ and Camaro ZL1 have good steering feel.

I am sure it CAN be done well... I did test drive the FR-S (BRZ's twin), and I was impressed (so much that I am considering getting one with MT). What a fun car in a light package (2700lbs!).

The question is how well BMW will execute it... So far, I haven't seen a single BMW with good EPS. I test drove the F10 and E89, and I was pretty disappointed in both.

johnbmw6 09-23-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

I am afraid it will NOT steer with the same "road contact feel" as the out going model. To much "green emphasis" is being used on ALL new cars regardless of Manufacturers. :(