Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Start/Stop Reconfiguration (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647429)

Jen4BMW 09-22-2012 08:12 AM

Start/Stop Reconfiguration

I know this topic has been discussed to painful lengths but just to let everyone know dealers now have the BMW re-mapping software to change how the start/stop system works so the last setting is memorized not defaulted every time. Thank you BMW!

My vehicle went in this week for reprogramming but it does take 4-6 hours as all the software A to Z needs to be reloaded. I was not charged for the work either and received a loaner. :thumbup:

2013BMWX335i 09-22-2012 08:40 AM

Jen4BMW,
Thank you for sharing this vital information. Even i talked to the service manager 2 weeks ago just to find out that there's no way to shut down the auto start stop feature and it only has a default setting. Now with this new updated software, it will allow drivers to maintain the previously used settings each time they start the vehicle. Sweet! Please dont forget to post your thoughts after its updated in your X3. Thanks
~Deepak

lbjgh 09-22-2012 01:15 PM

Coding the car only takes a couple of minutes and the start/stop can be coded... donno why BMW takes so long. Perhaps the dealerships bill for five hours and work for 10 minutes. ??

Evlengr 09-22-2012 10:34 PM

I would love to hear a good solid explanation why BMW's system takes so long to reflash their firmware AND why it doesn't take sometimes.

I have yet to work on a system that takes that long. Shoot I can ghost an entire raid array in less time than it takes them to do a single unit. And that is with GPI and GPO settings.

link01 09-23-2012 11:54 AM

Awesome, I'm calling tomorrow to get a software update scheduled.

swood02 09-23-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 7090864)
I would love to hear a good solid explanation why BMW's system takes so long to reflash their firmware AND why it doesn't take sometimes.

I have yet to work on a system that takes that long. Shoot I can ghost an entire raid array in less time than it takes them to do a single unit. And that is with GPI and GPO settings.

I read somewhere that dealers still use slow telephone modems in their shops for software upgrades. If this is true it would surely explain the time required.

Jen4BMW 09-23-2012 05:55 PM

The start/stop reprogramming works perfectly gang! I got my remapped X3 back on Saturday and it successfully remembered the way I had the start/stop configured every time. Good job BMW!
Now we can opt to use start/stop to save a little gas when feeling thrifty and disable start/stop when it's starting to annoy and not deal with pushing a button every time at start.
The dealer also told me that with this reprogramming the computer is set back to "transport mode" so they need to both do their initiation stuff over again which also means the computer has to re-learn driving habits. The mechanic said I should beat the tar out of the thing 100% in Sport mode for the next couple of tanks of gas and even told me to use the paddles to cycle it thru gears off and on so the software ignition maps itself for optimum performance. I didn't baby my car during break in but I didn't use sport mode either so hopefully some extra performance will be found too!

Evlengr 09-23-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen4BMW (Post 7092147)
The start/stop reprogramming works perfectly gang! I got my remapped X3 back on Saturday and it successfully remembered the way I had the start/stop configured every time. Good job BMW!
Now we can opt to use start/stop to save a little gas when feeling thrifty and disable start/stop when it's starting to annoy and not deal with pushing a button every time at start.
The dealer also told me that with this reprogramming the computer is set back to "transport mode" so they need to both do their initiation stuff over again which also means the computer has to re-learn driving habits. The mechanic said I should beat the tar out of the thing 100% in Sport mode for the next couple of tanks of gas and even told me to use the paddles to cycle it thru gears off and on so the software ignition maps itself for optimum performance. I didn't baby my car during break in but I didn't use sport mode either so hopefully some extra performance will be found too!

Jen, take this opportunity to let the engine do some braking. This helps settle the rings correctly and will reduce oil consumption later down the road. This means after the engine is warmed up and oil moving through nicely do a couple (WOT) wide open throttle when using the paddles, never from a complete stop. So for example: when driving about 15-20 mph using the paddles shift into 3'rd gear. Accelerate very hard until it nears the red line on tach, then let the off the gas and let the engine slow the sav down. Do this approx 2-3 times a day (no more) for about 200-300 miles. This will help the rings expand and contract properly to pistons and engine block.

waymartjohn 09-28-2012 03:16 PM

Thank you

Just picked up my X3 35i on Monday, joined this forum 30 minutes ago and already found the answer to my biggest question. I need to have that change made! John.

lbjgh 09-28-2012 06:15 PM

Lots more great info here too. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by waymartjohn (Post 7102652)
Just picked up my X3 35i on Monday, joined this forum 30 minutes ago and already found the answer to my biggest question. I need to have that change made! John.