Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   How many miles before tranny flush on 545i? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647518)

Kalil147 09-22-2012 02:26 PM

How many miles before tranny flush on 545i?

Hello everyone,

I have an 05 545i sport package with 73k miles. I am the second owner of the car. I am having a hesitant shift only from 1st to 2nd gear. It doesnt happen all the time. Can this be a transmission problem? Or do I need to replace fluid? The hesitation is not that obvious and there are no bangs, however, it does bother me a little after driving in traffic.
How many miles should I wait before replacing transmission fluid? Btw. I have no leaks.

UltimateDriving 09-22-2012 04:23 PM

If im not mistaken i think BMW does not recommends changing the transmission oil but you can do it.

Dking078 09-22-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltimateDriving (Post 7090406)
If im not mistaken i think BMW does not recommends changing the transmission oil but you can do it.

Not quite, the "Lifetime fluid" thing isn't true anymore.

The interval for transmission fluid is 10yrs / 100,000 miles.

I'd reset adaptations, then if the problem persists, change the fluid.

Kalil147 09-22-2012 10:22 PM

Thanks everyone. I thought so too. When I went to BMW, they also told me it was lifetime. However, I am not sure if they are saying that so I beat the transmission way after warranty so they can charge me up the @ss for a new transmission or what. I heard about the transmission reset by pressing down on the accelerator for 30 seconds while having the key in the ignition. Is that what I should do or should I just take it to the dealer for a reset?

GOR777 09-23-2012 05:04 AM

if it never was changed, I think its about the time to do it.

Dking078 09-23-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalil147 (Post 7090857)
Thanks everyone. I thought so too. When I went to BMW, they also told me it was lifetime. However, I am not sure if they are saying that so I beat the transmission way after warranty so they can charge me up the @ss for a new transmission or what. I heard about the transmission reset by pressing down on the accelerator for 30 seconds while having the key in the ignition. Is that what I should do or should I just take it to the dealer for a reset?

The throttle thing IIRC is bedateable, but one knowledgeable member disproved it, since the transmission is adapting to your driving style each time the key is turned, not over time. Some claim that doing the throttle procedure helps, others don't notice a thing.

I tried this on my E39 and nothing really changed IMO. On my E60 I had an odd hesitation problem, and reseting the adaptation via GT1 fixed it.

UltimateDriving 09-23-2012 11:51 PM

Yeah i know nothing lasts a lifetime, even tranny oil but i've read around that many things can go wrong if they don't do it properly . . . so only do it if it's really needed.

Hogie 09-24-2012 05:14 AM

I purchased a 545i CPO in 2007. I purchased from BMW the 100K "service" contract. At 80K miles on a standard CBS oil service the SA stated they were also changing the transmission pan/filter and refilling as part of the service.

When I stated the lifetime fill, the SA replied with we do what ever the key tells us to do. (plugging the key in the computer at the SA desk).

I have 170K on it now and I am getting ready to do it again, myself.

TMQ 09-24-2012 11:13 AM

If you want to keep the car, change the transmission fluid / filter now. The recommendation is change it around 60K miles to keep the car running well past 100K.