Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   BMW extended warranty (Or Not)?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647529)

cookster 09-22-2012 03:43 PM

BMW extended warranty (Or Not)??

Hello again

this represents my most important query for now.

Just purchased an X5 3.0d (space grey) from a dealer with 100k on the clock.

I only get a standard 3 month warranty here in Australia and have the chance to purchase a BMW extended warranty which pretty much covers everything with no cover limits (well the value of the car) and also includes breakdown recovery etc.

The crunch is.....it costs $3,300 AU for 2 years cover.

It is expensive peace of mind, but what do you think from your experience of these cars.??

I only have a couple of days to make up my mind on this so your early responses would be massively appreciated. Just a simple YES (you must have) or NO (save your money) would be great if you don't have time for a more lengthy response (all appreciated).

thanks
Mark

ard 09-22-2012 04:13 PM

Hey Mark-

3300 for 2 years...yes, that is steep. But I'd be inclined to do it...I assumne you have no history with the car, no chance to look for leaks, weeping seals, minir issues here and there...at 100k, and assume you do 20k a year so two yearts and 40k miles later, you could find a bunch of stuff that needs attention.

I'd NOT pay for any maintenance plans- find a good independent mechanic, roll up your sleeves on the forums, and figure out what needs to be done. ATF change, oil and filters, fuel filter, coolant, brake fluid... all are outside of warranty. And an indy can tell you of any little leak, defect, torn businging or boot, that you can then take to the dealer and say "fix it".

Hope this helps!

A

cookster 09-22-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7090390)
Hey Mark-

3300 for 2 years...yes, that is steep. But I'd be inclined to do it...I assumne you have no history with the car, no chance to look for leaks, weeping seals, minir issues here and there...at 100k, and assume you do 20k a year so two yearts and 40k miles later, you could find a bunch of stuff that needs attention.

I'd NOT pay for any maintenance plans- find a good independent mechanic, roll up your sleeves on the forums, and figure out what needs to be done. ATF change, oil and filters, fuel filter, coolant, brake fluid... all are outside of warranty. And an indy can tell you of any little leak, defect, torn businging or boot, that you can then take to the dealer and say "fix it".

Hope this helps!

A

thanks, its a one owner full BMW service history car, and i do around 40k per year. Great advice about the indy.

ard 09-22-2012 11:03 PM

Have they ever changed the ATF???? In the us that is done at 100k. If it is due, you should have insisted.

Of cotse the salesman will say'if the factory say do it, our techs do it- even if they didn't list it I am sure it was done"....

Even if you don't have a major failure, an alternator here,a window regulator there and a fewcoddsvand ends and 3300 can seem cheap

GL

A