Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Spec E30 car build question (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647573)

jadasilva 09-22-2012 09:44 PM

Spec E30 car build question
 
Hi all,

Looking to purchase my first 325 to get into the Spec E30 series, but was wondering if anyone had any input on which base car (325i or 325is) would be preferable? I understand the iS comes standard with LSD and closer gear ratios 1st-3rd...are these two features alone worth the extra price to find an is over an i?

Thanks!

_Ethrty-Andy_ 09-22-2012 11:51 PM

not sure where you got the closer ratio box from, a 325iS has the gears further apart and 1 2 and 3 are all taller than a standard 325i box. They do have a shorter ratio LSD though, its a 3.91 instead of 3.73

referance: E30 sales brochure

downhiller 09-23-2012 10:29 AM

the is will be a better starting place. since it has the "sport" suspension and the lsd.

jadasilva 09-23-2012 07:02 PM

ah yes maybe i got the two mixed up, thank you.

@downhiller...do you still think it is worth the premium considering I will be swapping out the suspension for spec units anyway? and the lsd can be purchased separately?

markseven 09-23-2012 09:35 PM

AFAIK the is is different in that it had an engine oil cooler, LSD, sport seats, and front/rear spoilers. Everything else was the same as the i.

_Ethrty-Andy_ 09-24-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markseven (Post 7092470)
AFAIK the is is different in that it had an engine oil cooler, LSD, sport seats, and front/rear spoilers. Everything else was the same as the i.

yes thats right, all readily available parts, and seeing as you will be bastardising the car you might as well get a 325i and save the cash

Nick323 09-24-2012 02:03 AM

engine oil cooler
 
Code:

it had an engine oil cooler
Thanks for mentioning it :thumbup:
I want to retrofit one into my 323, as we think 100F is a balmy day :yikes:
The cooler is not the issue, but the adapter to the engine :dunno:
I do not want one of these generic adapters that flows oil through the cooler on start-up :thumbdwn:, but one that only starts flowing through the cooler upon a certain oil temperature being reached :thumbup:
Where can I get such ?

I suppose the pressure hose I need to plumb into the turbo later on, will come from the oil pressure switch ?

downhiller 09-24-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markseven (Post 7092470)
AFAIK the is is different in that it had an engine oil cooler, LSD, sport seats, and front/rear spoilers. Everything else was the same as the i.

dont they have stiffer springs?

_Ethrty-Andy_ 09-25-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7092617)
Code:

it had an engine oil cooler
Thanks for mentioning it :thumbup:
I want to retrofit one into my 323, as we think 100F is a balmy day :yikes:
The cooler is not the issue, but the adapter to the engine :dunno:
I do not want one of these generic adapters that flows oil through the cooler on start-up :thumbdwn:, but one that only starts flowing through the cooler upon a certain oil temperature being reached :thumbup:
Where can I get such ?

I suppose the pressure hose I need to plumb into the turbo later on, will come from the oil pressure switch ?

the factory BMW ones are like that. but being from africa, you will find one very easy to get, ever SA built 325i had an oil cooler from the factory

Quote:

Originally Posted by downhiller (Post 7093910)
dont they have stiffer springs?

they were optional on all E30s, only came standard on M325i and M3

Nick323 09-26-2012 01:24 AM

Oil cooler adapter
 
Code:

ever SA built 325i had an oil cooler from the factory
Thanks Andy :)
Do you know if they had a built in Thermostat ?
I would need to order one, as I will not have much luck at the breakers, I think...

markseven 09-27-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downhiller (Post 7093910)
dont they have stiffer springs?

Maybe in other markets (of course the other guys get the good stuff :tsk:) , but I'm pretty sure that NA had the same springs, trans ratios, damper valving, sways, etc. The final drive was the only mechanical variable, I believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7097043)
Code:

ever SA built 325i had an oil cooler from the factory
Thanks Andy :)
Do you know if they had a built in Thermostat ?
I would need to order one, as I will not have much luck at the breakers, I think...

Those are notorious for being stuck open or closed. You may want to source a new one or an aftermarket unit.

ForcedFirebird 09-27-2012 08:54 AM

Have you read the rules yet?

There are 2 gearbox part numbers allowed, and have the same ratio's. You have to run a 3.73 final drive, H&R Race springs and Bilstien Sport dampers. Any sway bars are allowed, but have to be attached to the control arms (no m3 style mounting), and have a limit on the amount of camber/caster you adjust. Strut bars are permitted as are electric fans, power steering delete, A/C delete. There's more, but not going to go into into it here, just read the rules...

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/spec30_rules.pdf

In all honesty, best to start with a 318 shell if you are going to piece it together, saves you the time of removing all the sound deadening.

My friends and I are almost finished with one Se30 car and are building 2 more. Glad to see more racers out there coming up :)

Gasturbine 09-27-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markseven (Post 7092470)
AFAIK the is is different in that it had an engine oil cooler, LSD, sport seats, and front/rear spoilers. Everything else was the same as the i.

Ive got an i with sports seats and an oil cooler, so would I have a factory ordered car, or did BMW mix and match some on the floor?

ForcedFirebird 09-27-2012 10:30 AM

All b25's came with oil coolers. The 325eS and 325iS came factory with sport seats, different lip or air dam, LSD final drive and trunk spoiler. No iS or eS in sedan formats.

Gasturbine, enter the last 7 numbers of your vin into realoem.com and you will see all the options our car came with. Being older cars, they often have swapped parts.

Gasturbine 09-27-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForcedFirebird (Post 7099984)
All b25's came with oil coolers.

Huh? I thought my engine was an M20?

Quote:

Gasturbine, enter the last 7 numbers of your vin into realoem.com and you will see all the options our car came with. Being older cars, they often have swapped parts.
Ive been down this road before. Sites says nothing about sport seats, but first owner insists those were the original seats when he bought the car off the floor. :dunno:

hornhospital 09-27-2012 11:39 AM

Correct on the engine. It is an M20. M20B25

Newman271 09-27-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasturbine (Post 7100047)
Huh? I thought my engine was an M20?



Ive been down this road before. Sites says nothing about sport seats, but first owner insists those were the original seats when he bought the car off the floor. :dunno:

It is.. m20b25 for the i models. Mine is a m20b27 for the moment in my e .

ForcedFirebird 09-27-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasturbine (Post 7100047)
Huh? I thought my engine was an M20?



Ive been down this road before. Sites says nothing about sport seats, but first owner insists those were the original seats when he bought the car off the floor. :dunno:

Dude, you have a cabby. They came factory with sport seats, LSD and heavier sway bars than the iS cars. Didn't notice the info near your username. 325iC is same as 325iS just roof-less.

Nick323 09-28-2012 03:03 AM

Thermostat in oil cooler circuit ?
 
Markseven, before you get me more confused than a baby in a topless bar
Code:

Those are notorious for being stuck open or closed. You may want to source a new one or an aftermarket unit.
Are talking bout the H2O Thermostat or one in the Oil-cooler adapter circuit ?
On the Oil cooler adapter, what are the possibilities ?

I have a 323 without a Oil cooler and am looking on how to adapt this oil system to such.
The cooler itself is not the issue, but how does one plumb it to the lubrication system. On the ETK it looks like it is part of the Oil filter housing assembly, but I cannot go deeper than that...

markseven 09-28-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7101341)
Markseven, before you get me more confused than a baby in a topless bar
Code:

Those are notorious for being stuck open or closed. You may want to source a new one or an aftermarket unit.
Are talking bout the H2O Thermostat or one in the Oil-cooler adapter circuit ?
On the Oil cooler adapter, what are the possibilities ?

I have a 323 without a Oil cooler and am looking on how to adapt this oil system to such.
The cooler itself is not the issue, but how does one plumb it to the lubrication system. On the ETK it looks like it is part of the Oil filter housing assembly, but I cannot go deeper than that...

Hey man, sorry, I was mistaken, the thermo is not serviceable. You need to get the whole oil filter housing. IIRC, the cooler reduces temps by 4°, so it may not even be worth it... except for more oil capacity due to the cooler itself.

Nick323 10-01-2012 02:40 AM

Oil filter to cooler housing number ?
 
The story behind Oil coolers on high revving motors is that the oil temperature increases exponentially with RPM. I did a study for Toyota on underhood temperatures :bigpimp:
If I want to fit a Turbo...

Anybody got a part# for this oil filter housing with cooler connections ?
Will this fit on my 323 block ?

markseven 10-01-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7106153)
The story behind Oil coolers on high revving motors is that the oil temperature increases exponentially with RPM. I did a study for Toyota on underhood temperatures :bigpimp:
If I want to fit a Turbo...

Anybody got a part# for this oil filter housing with cooler connections ?
Will this fit on my 323 block ?

With a turbo, don't you want to relocate the filter anyway?

I don' know if it the housing you want will fit - Andy will prolly be able to say yes or no.

PNs:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...29&hg=11&fg=30

Nick323 10-02-2012 02:44 AM

Thanks for the link Markseven :thumbup:
On my 323 the Filter is bolted directly onto the block.
So I am not sure whether the Oil filter head 11421711070 will just bolt on and voilá ?

Why would you think I need to relocate the filter with a Turbo set-up ?
Will it be in the way ?
I have not yet decided on where to purchase my Manifold and what Turbo to use, as I first want to see what lurks under my cylinder-head ;)

markseven 10-02-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7108143)
Thanks for the link Markseven :thumbup:
On my 323 the Filter is bolted directly onto the block.
So I am not sure whether the Oil filter head 11421711070 will just bolt on and voilá ?

Why would you think I need to relocate the filter with a Turbo set-up ?
Will it be in the way ?
I have not yet decided on where to purchase my Manifold and what Turbo to use, as I first want to see what lurks under my cylinder-head ;)

I don't know much about turbos, but from what I have seen on *most* FI M20s, the snail sits close to the oil filter. I would imagine the thin wall of the screw-on filter will soak heat like a sponge. I could be wrong.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms