Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Plastidip wheels and tinted taillights. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647646)

pmpn8ez 09-23-2012 11:56 AM

Plastidip wheels and tinted taillights.
 
Couple of things I got done this week. I plastidip my wheels with a black matte finish and tinted my taillights. Always wonder how my wheels would look in black but didn't want to make it permanent just incase I didn't like how it turned out. Here's some pix

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/...ps21ba71c4.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7ecb4dc5.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/...ps24b4794e.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/...ps593a7da8.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/...ps89d1989c.jpg

Carboy7 09-23-2012 11:58 AM

I honestly like this look better than your chrome wheels :thumbup:

bayerisheteknik 09-23-2012 12:11 PM

those rims looks good plasti dipped

First_745Li 09-23-2012 12:18 PM

I have mixed feelings about this my brotha. I liked them better before. Just my two cents.

Suri [TBR] 09-23-2012 12:27 PM

I really like it bro! But to make it work, you're going to have to remove the rest of the chrome from your car. It'll definitely complete the look

pmpn8ez 09-23-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First_745Li (Post 7091525)
I have mixed feelings about this my brotha. I liked them better before. Just my two cents.

I feel the same way. Lol. The paint peels right off though. Got bored and started experimenting. Going to leav it on there for a few more days and see how I feel about it.

First_745Li 09-23-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmpn8ez (Post 7091539)
I feel the same way. Lol. The paint peels right off though. Got bored and started experimenting. Going to leav it on there for a few more days and see how I feel about it.

Might just grow on ya. That's the good thing about Plasti-Dip, reversable.

Tenn 09-23-2012 01:05 PM

very interesting

Me want7 09-23-2012 01:43 PM

Looks much better. And if they get dirty all you have to do is wash and spray some tire shine on it and there all good to go.

pmpn8ez 09-23-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me want7 (Post 7091696)
Looks much better. And if they get dirty all you have to do is wash and spray some tire shine on it and there all good to go.

It has a rubbery texture and difficult to clean. I will try your suggestion.

rkruz 09-23-2012 01:56 PM

it ruins the car

Tiz 09-23-2012 03:33 PM

Not to offend anyone here but IMHO it seems to take away from the classy sophisticated look of the vehicle. It seems like something like this would be more suited for a sporty 5 or 3 series. Additions like this seem a bit out of place considering the luxurious styling and size of the 7. Again, just my opinion.

7ELEVEN 09-24-2012 11:09 AM

I like it! Have a few questions too. Does it protect against corrosion (like something you could do for the winter and peel it off in the spring)? Can you tell us what you paid to do it?

pmpn8ez 09-24-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7ELEVEN (Post 7093160)
I like it! Have a few questions too. Does it protect against corrosion (like something you could do for the winter and peel it off in the spring)? Can you tell us what you paid to do it?

People are actually using plastidip to protect their bumpers and wheels in the winter. They sell clear as well as few other colors. $8 a can. I used 4 cans.

sanhonda22 09-24-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmpn8ez (Post 7091539)
I feel the same way. Lol. The paint peels right off though. Got bored and started experimenting. Going to leav it on there for a few more days and see how I feel about it.

I liked how the car look before.

pmpn8ez 09-24-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanhonda22 (Post 7093787)
I liked how the car look before.

Tomorrow the plastidip is coming off.

04seven45 09-24-2012 07:37 PM

I like the storm trooper look better, maybe tint lights darker,

My lips got some rash i thin ima get the lips powdercoated

pepe65 09-24-2012 08:42 PM

it looks more agressive black, alot more. and they look a little bigger black. maybe you should get them powder coated a semi gloss black.

pmpn8ez 09-24-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04seven45 (Post 7094181)
I like the storm trooper look better, maybe tint lights darker,

My lips got some rash i thin ima get the lips powdercoated


"Storm trooper look". Lol. I like that. I have to find a good place to powder coat the wheels for me. Thinking gloss black with some type of white accent.

jiceoo 09-25-2012 04:37 AM

On a white a car i like the black face, but make the lips or face of the the lips white. And the taillights look good, subtle, not too dark................

bayerisheteknik 09-25-2012 03:07 PM

thinking about spraying my rims now after seeing yours sprayed...

im thinking spokes dark and lips red or all black....do they make plasti dip in red?

pmpn8ez 09-25-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik (Post 7095860)
thinking about spraying my rims now after seeing yours sprayed...

im thinking spokes dark and lips red or all black....do they make plasti dip in red?

They have a red but its hard to find. Order online or call around retail stores that carry the brand. Recommend a clear coat for smooth finish and easier cleaning. Without the clear it has a rubbery texture and hard to clean. Dirt clings onto the wheels.

bayerisheteknik 09-25-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmpn8ez (Post 7095945)
They have a red but its hard to find. Order online or call around retail stores that carry the brand. Recommend a clear coat for smooth finish and easier cleaning. Without the clear it has a rubbery texture and hard to clean. Dirt clings onto the wheels.

thanks ill call around

if i put clear coat on plasti dip will it still come of as easy??

pmpn8ez 09-25-2012 05:34 PM

If you plan on keeping it on there longer, coating it with a clear will actually help.

bayerisheteknik 09-26-2012 07:42 AM

so checked around and home depot has red for 46 bux but they only sell them in box of 6..

now im trying to figure out vibration on my tires...so have to wait with plasti dip and maybe ill buy 22 and sell those 20


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms