Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Rear ended yesterday (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647764)

Alexanderlt 09-24-2012 12:00 AM

Rear ended yesterday

5 Attachment(s)
So I was rear ended yesterday morning on my way home. The kid that hit me had to have been going at least 30 MPH. Their car was pretty messed up. Mine looks to have done well, but we will see what happens when they take everything apart.

Something weird I noticed after the accident. My headrest popped forward, in doing some research I found out that my car has the "Active Head Restraints." Pretty cool I guess, my neck doesn't hurt too bad yet. I couldn't find any posts really about the Active head restraints actually being used and thought you all might want to see what it looks like in the event you are rear ended.

Also, there is now an alert on my iDrive screen that says "Fault in passenger restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter." Does anyone know what that's from? Did the system fail or is it because of the active head rests being used?

gcvt 09-24-2012 12:47 AM

Are you okay? Get checked out by a doctor - neck injuries are no joke! Sorry to hear this :thumbdwn:

Alexanderlt 09-24-2012 12:55 AM

I already went to the doctor a few hours after it happened yesterday. I started having lower back pain and pain in the middle of my back. The doctor only told me that it happens when being rear ended that your muscles will start to spasm. Said the same goes for my neck, she sent me home with muscle relaxers and ibuprofen. In all the research that I've done everyone says that the pain will be 10x worse 3 to 4 days later. We'll see what happens.

Bigbank 09-24-2012 05:44 AM

Bst

I got rear ended earlier this year. Your BST "Battery Safety Terminal" blew from the accident and that will cause your restraints system to malfunction. You can read up on the BST in this forum to know what it means. It cost me about $1500 with labor without going through my insurance. I'll assume you'll be going through your insurance. I won't be surprised if your car is salvaged.

Alexanderlt 09-24-2012 09:48 AM

Really? From something so minor? I'd almost prefer to have it totaled than have to keep this one knowing it's been in an accident.

phlfly 09-24-2012 10:04 AM

I had rear end but just a little slightly, so end up with new head rest even mine did not deploy, but it did said same thing as your Idrive. The cost was about 2,000 + bucks. All work done by BMW dealer prefer bodyshop. They did discharge my battery completely so I have to come like 3 times after that. So you need to be preparing for long battle with bodyshop/dealer after work is done.

2chill 09-26-2012 12:33 AM

I'm shaking my head from reading some of the responses the OP is getting here. My car was also rear ended by a Honda Accord doing about 30 MPH on the highway after I stopped in traffic. My damage was very similar to the OP's. Also my driver's head restraint popped forward.
First off, the car is not going to be totalled out, salvaged or whatever you want to call it from a minor accident like this. If the OP is dealing with a reputable body shop, they will replace the outer bumper cover along with any other parts damaged behind it. In my case, they replaced the bumper cover, muffler, exaust tips, hangers, headrest and had to repair a very small dent in the trunk frame behind the bumper. Total cost was around $7,000. Of course I didn't pay a penny. The other guys insurance paid for everything including my deductible.
My restraint warning was also on. This is caused by the head restraint engaging. Once it engages, it can not be put back and the headrest must be replaced. The car then has to go to BMW to have the system reset. All in all, my car was out of service for a little over a week. I was supplied a free loaner through the insurance. Overall, it was a smooth process.
OP, I suggest going to a BMW certified body shop to have the car repaired. A BMW dealer can recommend one to you if you don't know where to go. The body shop will work directly with the insurance company to have your car repaired. There shouldn't be any battles or fighting whatsoever as what's being insinuated in this thread.

Bigbank 09-26-2012 10:01 AM

A car can be salvaged if repair cost is as high as the $7000 depending on value of the car. The percentage varies from state to state if repair cost is greater than 30% of car value.

Did you have to replace the headrest completely or the kit inside was replaced. I'm still driving my car with the headrest disengaged. The restraints system malfunction has been cleared. The body shop that fixed my car said i just have to replace the kit inside the headrest, have not just got around to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2chill (Post 7097017)
I'm shaking my head from reading some of the responses the OP is getting here. My car was also rear ended by a Honda Accord doing about 30 MPH on the highway after I stopped in traffic. My damage was very similar to the OP's. Also my driver's head restraint popped forward.
First off, the car is not going to be totalled out, salvaged or whatever you want to call it from a minor accident like this. If the OP is dealing with a reputable body shop, they will replace the outer bumper cover along with any other parts damaged behind it. In my case, they replaced the bumper cover, muffler, exaust tips, hangers, headrest and had to repair a very small dent in the trunk frame behind the bumper. Total cost was around $7,000. Of course I didn't pay a penny. The other guys insurance paid for everything including my deductible.
My restraint warning was also on. This is caused by the head restraint engaging. Once it engages, it can not be put back and the headrest must be replaced. The car then has to go to BMW to have the system reset. All in all, my car was out of service for a little over a week. I was supplied a free loaner through the insurance. Overall, it was a smooth process.
OP, I suggest going to a BMW certified body shop to have the car repaired. A BMW dealer can recommend one to you if you don't know where to go. The body shop will work directly with the insurance company to have your car repaired. There shouldn't be any battles or fighting whatsoever as what's being insinuated in this thread.

NoQuarter 09-26-2012 04:45 PM

$17000 in damages to my e60, 3 months of repair. Not totaled by insurance company.

phlfly 09-26-2012 05:34 PM

Sh!t it's a lot money.

2chill 09-26-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbank (Post 7097722)
A car can be salvaged if repair cost is as high as the $7000 depending on value of the car. The percentage varies from state to state if repair cost is greater than 30% of car value.

Did you have to replace the headrest completely or the kit inside was replaced. I'm still driving my car with the headrest disengaged. The restraints system malfunction has been cleared. The body shop that fixed my car said i just have to replace the kit inside the headrest, have not just got around to it.

The car is totalled when the repair cost is about 75% the actual value of the car. The OP's car actually has less damage than when my own got hit. The pic looks to be mostly bumper skin damage. A couple of thousand, yes. But the value of the car is still in the mid twenties, at least. So yes, the car will be repaired.
The body shop told me the entire headrest had to be replaced. That's not to say the inside kit couldn't have been replaced. It was never discussed and I really didn't care since I wasn't paying for it.
For a fuller understanding of what determines a car to be deemed totalled, click the link below:

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-insura...car-is-totaled

Alexanderlt 09-27-2012 12:29 AM

Car is at spectrum collision in Irvine CA. They are a certified BMW shop, I've been there in the past and I have sent family there as well. They are the collision center my dealer recommends. They have never done me wrong.

As for the whole thing, so far the insurance company has only come out and inspected the car as it is (not taken apart), from what they saw they said it needs new tail pipes, new muffler and new bumper cover. They said that so far is estimated at $2800 in damages. They will be taking the car apart in the next few days to see what other underlying damage there is. Also, from what I heard when i dropped off the car, the headrests have to be replaced by BMW themselves and they have to install some new cartridge that will make the headrest pop out again if they were ever needed again.

Also, wanted to see if any of you all knew... Will the collision center do an alignment on the car? I just had one done 2 months prior and i'm sure as hell that it's messed up now. Will insurance pay for that as well?

The insurance company has me in a Mercedes C300 rental that is completely paid for by them (had to fight with them a little bit to get it).

2chill 09-27-2012 08:57 AM

I doubt you'll get a front end alignment out of this. You will have to prove the alignment got screwed up from the accident. A minor collision like this shouldn't affect it. My alignment was okay after the accident. Also, I don't think collision centers do alignments, but you can always ask them.
The collision center did replace my entire headrest. The new headrest includes the cartridge and everything already set up.

Alexanderlt 09-27-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2chill (Post 7099784)
I doubt you'll get a front end alignment out of this. You will have to prove the alignment got screwed up from the accident. A minor collision like this shouldn't affect it. My alignment was okay after the accident. Also, I don't think collision centers do alignments, but you can always ask them.
The collision center did replace my entire headrest. The new headrest includes the cartridge and everything already set up.

I don't know if this will be considered so minor after all. Just got a call from the collision center. They said there is Frame/Structural damage. The side panels buckled on the car and the rear axel has to be completely removed in order for them to fix it. I don't have the exact estimate or pictures yet but the guy said he has a similar car but older with more miles in for the same thing and the estimate to fix it is at $18,000.

Definitely think I might go for loss of value because of how bad everything is.

phlfly 09-27-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexanderlt (Post 7099801)
I don't know if this will be considered so minor after all. Just got a call from the collision center. They said there is Frame/Structural damage. The side panels buckled on the car and the rear axel has to be completely removed in order for them to fix it. I don't have the exact estimate or pictures yet but the guy said he has a similar car but older with more miles in for the same thing and the estimate to fix it is at $18,000.

Definitely think I might go for loss of value because of how bad everything is.

watch out for subframe after that. previuos generation 3-series were all big problem.

Alexanderlt 09-27-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlfly (Post 7100088)
watch out for subframe after that. previuos generation 3-series were all big problem.

What am I watching out for with the subframe?

boramkiv 09-27-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexanderlt (Post 7100575)
What am I watching out for with the subframe?

Start Here.
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...bframe-Damage/

I understand How you feel. It REALLY sucks when you have to go through this after someone elses' negligence. It almost feels as you don't even want the car anymore even though it can be "expertly" repaired. These cars are so fragile with all these sensors that a minor tap can result in 10's of thousands of dollars to repair, especially the higher end models.

Alexanderlt 09-28-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boramkiv (Post 7100632)
Start Here.
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...bframe-Damage/

I understand How you feel. It REALLY sucks when you have to go through this after someone elses' negligence. It almost feels as you don't even want the car anymore even though it can be "expertly" repaired. These cars are so fragile with all these sensors that a minor tap can result in 10's of thousands of dollars to repair, especially the higher end models.

That is exactly how I feel. My car will never be the same as it was before the accident. And all because of the 17 year old's negligence!

phlfly 09-28-2012 03:10 AM

The worst thing of if Honda or Toyota is worth almost same after accident, but BMW or Benz are dropped very significant portion, so during the trade or sale you will never get full price. And this sucked very bad due the loans vs value and other bank may not approve for loan other person because of the car history.
I would probably try to get compensation due medical expenses. The good lawyer may be a help.

2chill 09-28-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexanderlt (Post 7101273)
That is exactly how I feel. My car will never be the same as it was before the accident. And all because of the 17 year old's negligence!

If your car is in a good body shop, there is no reason why it wouldn't be the same. The only thing that won't be the same is the value. You can try to sue for diminitive loss of value but it's a pain in the ass having to bring an expert witness to court to testify what the value of the car was pre accident then post accident.
Unless you had an ambulance take you away when the accident occured, I wouldn't try to go the medical expense way. It's just down right fraud if you really are not hurt!
My advice, if the car comes out totally correct, just write it off and forget about it.

NoQuarter 09-28-2012 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't have to sue to get compensated for loss in value - I just asked for it.

After the car was returned and all the fees were being taken care of and my provider asked me to sign off that everything was complete and I would not seek other damages, I did not immediately agree to that. I explained I had an estimate of $3,000 for loss of value but I would agree to $2,000 - they sent me a check.

Also, I was talking to my insurance company today about coverages and the agent explained that they do not do a 70-75% of value to declare a total loss. They go by 100% of blue book value.

By the way, I got out of this without a single ache or pain and I was hit right in the driver door by a 1990 grand marquee (like a tank on wheels!)

Attachment 343608

Alexanderlt 09-28-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoQuarter (Post 7102314)
I didn't have to sue to get compensated for loss in value - I just asked for it.

After the car was returned and all the fees were being taken care of and my provider asked me to sign off that everything was complete and I would not seek other damages, I did not immediately agree to that. I explained I had an estimate of $3,000 for loss of value but I would agree to $2,000 - they sent me a check.

Also, I was talking to my insurance company today about coverages and the agent explained that they do not do a 70-75% of value to declare a total loss. They go by 100% of blue book value.

By the way, I got out of this without a single ache or pain and I was hit right in the driver door by a 1990 grand marquee (like a tank on wheels!)

Attachment 343608

Glad you got out of that okay.

I'm definitely going to ask for the diminshed value on the car. Already spoke with someone at the dealer who explained the process of everything to me.

As for the medical expenses, I have been in constant pain since the accident. I don't know what to do or how to handle the whole situation. I don't know if an attorney would be worth it at this point. But since the accident they have not asked me about my pain at all. I'm hoping I really do get better and there isn't anything serious wrong. I don't want to have to deal with a pain for the rest of my life.

Got the actual estimate today after the car has been torn down. Looks like it will be $14,121.35 to repair.

The alignment is in the estimate BTW.

I asked them to send me pictures of the car when they could. I will post them once I get them.

2chill 09-28-2012 10:52 PM

I believe the rules for getting loss of value vary by state. In New York it's a total pain in the ass. I was told you can not simply ask for it and must go to court. I couldn't be bothered (but probably should have). I never checked to see how much the value of my car dropped and I don't even want to aggravate myself by finding out. I'm not even sure if the accident was recorded on carfax. If not, then no loss. Everything is difficult here in NY. One of the many reasons why I can't wait to get out of here when I retire in a few more years!

Alexanderlt 10-05-2012 01:13 AM

everything sounds difficult there. Hope you can enjoy your retirement!

2chill 10-05-2012 09:16 AM

Thanks. I'm looking to move down to Orlando, Fl when I retire. I see you're in Orange County (FL?) also. How do you like it?