Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   My X3 takes long to start in morning (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647909)

bharatkv 09-24-2012 03:37 PM

My X3 takes long to start in morning

Hi,
I also brought this car 3 months back and had a complete inspection at the dealer and nothing related to this issue was noticed .
2007 BMW x3 less than 52k miles on it.
Recently I am seeing long time to start(cranking for long time) in the morning especially for the first time.
I don't see this issue happen any time during the day after the first start.

Any Ideas?

Evlengr 09-24-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatkv (Post 7093813)
Hi,
I also brought this car 3 months back and had a complete inspection at the dealer and nothing related to this issue was noticed .
Recently I am seeing long time to start(cranking for long time) in the morning especially for the first time.

Any Ideas?

Battery needs replacement.....typically 4-5 years on the X3.

usaret 09-25-2012 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatkv (Post 7093813)
Hi,

Any Ideas?

Try running a couple of bottles of Techron (one at a time) through it.

bharatkv 09-25-2012 01:01 PM

I will try these 2 options and let you know.:thumbup:

Thanks,

swapsafari 09-25-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usaret (Post 7094775)
Try running a couple of bottles of Techron (one at a time) through it.

Is this same as any other techron fuel system cleaner that is available in Autozone, etc. or they make it different for BMW's?

Supercourse 09-25-2012 02:09 PM

With the ignition key in the 2nd. position (just prior to starter engagement in position 3), you may hear the fuel pump priming.

Some owners here have noticed that it pays to pause a second or so.

Nothing conclusive, but it does seem that for the first start of the day if you turn the ignition key all the way in one quick movement you may experience longer cranking.

Later in the day, it doesn't seem to matter which makes sense.

Also, the Owner's Manual does say to not keep cranking if it doesn't start right away, to avoid cat converter damage.

The second try usually fires straight away. Don't know why - I just accept it.

usaret 09-25-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swapsafari (Post 7095858)
Is this same as any other techron fuel system cleaner that is available in Autozone, etc. or they make it different for BMW's?

I think it's the same. I get mine from Walmart.

TheCritic 09-30-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercourse (Post 7095867)
With the ignition key in the 2nd. position (just prior to starter engagement in position 3), you may hear the fuel pump priming.

Some owners here have noticed that it pays to pause a second or so.

Nothing conclusive, but it does seem that for the first start of the day if you turn the ignition key all the way in one quick movement you may experience longer cranking.

Later in the day, it doesn't seem to matter which makes sense.

Also, the Owner's Manual does say to not keep cranking if it doesn't start right away, to avoid cat converter damage.

The second try usually fires straight away. Don't know why - I just accept it.

+1 on this. I treat the gear light as equivalent to a glow-plug light in a diesel--when it goes out it's time to turn the key the rest of the way and start.

bharatkv 09-30-2012 04:26 PM

I went to auto zone to find the battery.
I had the rep test the battery.
He did test the battery and alternator and said that some how battery was loosing the charge.
I also got techron fuel bottle as well.
I donot know what is causing battery not to charge fully.
any suggestions?

SonicBoom 10-01-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatkv (Post 7105655)
any suggestions?

If the battery is 3+ years old, it's the nature of the beast.
If not, there is an electrical drain.

usaret 10-03-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatkv (Post 7105655)
I went to auto zone to find the battery.
I had the rep test the battery.
He did test the battery and alternator and said that some how battery was loosing the charge.
I also got techron fuel bottle as well.
any suggestions?

It could be that the battery is just old. It could also be that you're not running the car long enough to keep the battery charged. You may need to get a battery maintainer. Mine sits for days at a time and pretty much lives on "life support".

If the Techron doesn't seem to help the long cranks, try turning the key on and waiting 5 or 10 seconds before you crank the engine. If this helps it could be that the check valve in the pump has a slow leak and is letting the system depressurize overnight. If that's what's going on it's no big deal just continue the pause before you crank thing.