Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I believe cool air intake making whistle?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647977)

Jerrybr100 09-24-2012 07:33 PM

I believe cool air intake making whistle??

1 Attachment(s)
So I have a Dinan cool air intake and a super annoying sound that almost sounds like a whistle anytime i accelerate, let of gas to shift it goes
away, next gear accelerate and whistle. Now the mechanics that i saw checked it out and said there's nothing wrong it's jus the intake . Well
Regardless it's super annoying I was seeing if anyone had suggestions on what it could be, who knows maybe its something else. If not what you would recommend doing to get rid of that sound...

Thanks

Fast Bob 09-24-2012 08:09 PM

That`s what most aftermarket CAIs do, they just change the intake sound....unfortunately, it`s often an *annoying* sound. You can always bring it back to stock (which is also a CAI, BTW).

lgr122 09-24-2012 08:12 PM

That's what my K&N does also, but i don't feel it's annoying.

Ofcourse i'm not sure if yours is possibly louder than mine.

Solution for you is to change stock air filter box back, that's more quiet.

yetieater 09-24-2012 09:43 PM

Intake boot checked for tears? This can cause whistling.

Jerrybr100 09-25-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Bob (Post 7094361)
That`s what most aftermarket CAIs do, they just change the intake sound....unfortunately, it`s often an *annoying* sound. You can always bring it back to stock (which is also a CAI, BTW).

Really???
Okay so it's not weird for my car to sound like it needs breaks every time I accelerate?

Hellpuppy 09-25-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrybr100 (Post 7094608)
Really???
Okay so it's not weird for my car to sound like it needs breaks every time I accelerate?

That's what happens when you replace a highly engineered stock airbox with generic off the shelf parts. Car makers put a lot of work into getting the intake to sound just right, which for most cars means almost totally silent. If you change the setup, you're on your own.

My car has a blower, which means I'm stuck with the CAI. I've gotten used to the sound, even though it sounds like the car is taking a breath every time I shift.

Jerrybr100 09-25-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellpuppy (Post 7094672)
That's what happens when you replace a highly engineered stock airbox with generic off the shelf parts. Car makers put a lot of work into getting the intake to sound just right, which for most cars means almost totally silent. If you change the setup, you're on your own.

My car has a blower, which means I'm stuck with the CAI. I've gotten used to the sound, even though it sounds like the car is taking a breath every time I shift.

Ya but I can go back to stock right? I bought the car with the intake on it so I don't have much choice I jus was wondering what I can do to get rid of it???

heztheone 09-25-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrybr100 (Post 7094675)
Ya but I can go back to stock right? I bought the car with the intake on it so I don't have much choice I jus was wondering what I can do to get rid of it???

sure u can go and get yourself the stock air intake kit anytime, it's not like u'r stuck with ur aftermarket CAI :dunno:

Fast Bob 09-25-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Find a local salvage yard, and get the needed parts from them....shouldn`t be too expensive. Rubber boots should be purchased new.

lgr122 09-25-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Right, it's more difficult to go back stock if you don't actually have those stock parts with you.

I happened to save my original box, so i can easily switch it back, if there's need.

jsconway 09-25-2012 09:09 AM

I have the identical Dinan CAI on my car (installed by PO) and it too makes the whistling noise. At this point I am kinda used to it, but still think about reverting back to the stock airbox at some point.... usually when it rains and I am driving near any deeper looking puddles (because the bottom if that intake tube is VERY low in the wheel well). Also, filter replacement is a pain and some have had issues with MAF from the oiled filter. I think a stock airbox is in my future... anyone wanna swap with me?

DaveZBeamer 10-04-2012 04:53 AM

Whistle noise at lighter accels still present, Help!!!!

2003 BMW 325I Sedan------110,000 miles-----owned car for 1 year but previous owner is my future father in law. He has it for about 5-6 years all maintanence kept up to date.

I'm not mechanic or anything but I've tried to self diagnose this whistle noise but I still have this annoying whistle it seems described in about a dozen or more posts. The whistle started happening about 6 months ago. My fiancee drives the vehicle daily to and from work so I dont have to hear it that often. (Only when the vehicle needs something to be fixed, but she's complaining about this annoying whistle) I replaced both intakes boots that attached the intake to the MAF. (Both were cracked). Re-installed and whistle noise still there. I even went as far as to take it all apart again, about 4 months later and redo the job this time lubing all rubber pieces. Still get a light whistle during neighborhood driving speeds 1500 rpms or it can be heard when switching gears and light accel while driving down regular roads speeds of 30-50mph. Any suggestions what to check next? I do have a CAI on the vehicle but I've removed the intake and left only the intake boots with MAF attached and still get whistle during accel. I'm going to lubricate all the pulleys but if it were a pulley they seem to whine or you can hear the bearings starting to go. I've had several pulleys replaced due to the whine, a/c belt tensioner, idler pulley and belts. Not sure where to go now. Anyone else experiencing this same issue.