Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Z4 Coupe (E86) 2007 Z4 M Coupe (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648001)

07Z4MCoupe 09-24-2012 11:56 PM

2007 Z4 M Coupe

Just purchased my 2007 Z4 M Coupe (saphire black). I'm new to the bimmer forum and could definately use some recommendations on a great deal of upgrades to my Z4 M. I would hate to do somthing that sends me into a lower performance bracket simply due to the fact that I'm not the smartest person in reference to performance upgrades.

Initially I would like to upgrade the headers, cat, and full exhaust, so any recommendations regarding that would be great, I was looking at the RPI exhaust but I would like to know what would be the best headers and performance cats for my coupe.

If you guys have any recommendations please let me know, My Z4 M is basically my 3rd car in the family, I have it as my weekend toy and love to drive it so I want to make sure I go with the best of the best for performance upgrades.

Please help.

Thanks guys.

shipkiller 09-25-2012 03:14 AM

Do you have any aspirations to take the car to the track?

07Z4MCoupe 09-26-2012 02:08 AM

driver and track

I plan on using it as my weekend toy and would like to use it more on the street than the track, however I would like to make it track worthy while still being a nice driver. Let me know what you think might be a good route in reference to performance upgrades.

P.S. - Most of the time I use the car on the back country roads near my house and its a great time taking it out on the weekends and stretching her legs. So I dont want to go so far towards the race end of things to where it wont be an enjoyable ride but I would like to give her some major performance upgrades that will push her capabilities.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me

tomhole 09-26-2012 04:26 AM

What tires does it have on it now? I know my 2007 M Z4 Roadster could not make good use of any performance upgrades until I get new tires. It slides all over the place. I'll get something better when these wear out (they are original to the car that only has 13,000 miles). But to be honest, I'm having a lot of fun sliding around on the OEM tires.

shipkiller 09-26-2012 01:22 PM

As you stated above, wanting to upgrade the exhaust, you can get around 30-40HP for a LOT of money spent. Supersprint or BMW CSL headers will cost anywhere from $800 (a great deal used if you can find it) up to $2200 for new. That's just for the header, let alone for the tune ($400-$800) you will/might need to get rid of the CEL light that normally comes with headers. This is because the Cats are integrated into the stock header. New performance headers don't have Cats. Then you have the cost for a new X-pipe ($500-$800) and mufflers ($800-$1500+).
The pro's for a new exhaust is it gives you a bump in HP and sound great. The con's are it is a very expensive upgrade. This is up to you. There are a LOT of threads on the three US Z4 internet forums (this forum, Bimmerpost and Zpost) on this subject. Do some searching on all three to see if you want to go this route.

You can add tires, lighter wheels, coilovers, anti-roll bars, upgraded brakes, new suspension bushings, new differential, supercharger.

Some non-performance things you can do that make driveability better are:
CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) delete
Short shift kits
Get rid of those OEM stones (tires)

IMHO, the first, best bang for your buck is ongoing driver training, eg HPDE's, driver schools at the track etc.. I do not know what your experience level is and I am not trying to put you down in any way, but if you have never gone to the track or AutoX's then you will not be able to push your car to it's limits in a controlled/safe manner or even know where those limits are. If you start to throw performance parts at the car before you really know how the car will respond to these changes, you really don't know if you did any good and you will not get that much added benefit of them. I'm not taking about exhaust options here.

When I first started out, I was like you, wanting to buy and install a lot of performance parts on the car. My buddy and the guy who convinced me to start going to the track, sat me down and explained all this. It burst my bubble since I did not know any better. Every one of my instructors told me the same thing. Now years later, I find that this was the best advice I had ever received. It saved me a LOT of money (saved for more track time) and I got BETTER as a driver. After three years of ///M ownership, I am just now starting to do the performance upgrades.

Now with all that said, at the end of the day, just remember: It's YOUR car and you should do anything you want to it, not caring what anyone else says.....:thumbup:

STIHLBOLTS 09-27-2012 04:47 AM

Tires and wheels can make a profound difference in feel and handling. M's don't come with Run Flat tires, so your already ahead of the game. Like Ship said, you need to figure out what your going to do with your car, what it is going to be used for. Mine is my weekend toy, I tweaked it for style and function and not performance. I recently was asked to use my car in a local performance shops advertisement. As a nice gesture since I had already said yes, the shop did a dyno test on the car. 7400 rpm - 270.78 rwhp and 234.12 FT Torque. For my fun weekend car, thats a plenty of butt hauling for me. :D

I still have other things I want to do to the car but for now it is just as I want it for a while. Besides, you just have to stop somewhere and say that's it. Breaking the "Mod" habit is a tough one. :D

Welcome to the board and best of luck.

Also check out ZSCCA on Facebook.

07Z4MCoupe 09-27-2012 07:00 AM

you guys are awesome

I appreciate all the help, Most of the driving Ive done has been in armored suburbans and 7 series bimmers that weigh a lot more after 4500lbs of armor has been added (I work in Afghanistan 9 months out of the year). I definately will be doing some courses both defensive and racing throughout NC when I'm home. I'm not going bonkers on the mods yet, I am trying to go at it in a way where I can see the improvements, wheels and tires first, headers, X-over, Exhaust will be the first improvements to give it a nice roar and it shouldnt adjust the experience so drastically that its a completely new ride.

I am concerned about the suspension though, I dont plan on going any lower simply due to it being used as my weekend toy, I would like a little more adjustable handling so that when I do arrive at that point where I want to put an edge in here and there to get it just right for me I have that option but I also dont want it to be too tough where its going to be such a stiff ride that it isnt a great cruiser. Any suggestions on that would be cool.

For wheels- I think 20's would look amazing (for cruising, and most likely 18's for the track) but definately take from the performance, anyone think its worth the sacrifice or have any ideas as to upgrading another component to balance the 20" wheels and not lose too much?

Thanks for all the info so far, you guys are awesome and I'll keep you updated on the progress.

STIHLBOLTS 09-27-2012 07:11 AM

Zpost has a specific thread for after market wheels. You might want to look that one over and get some ideas and sizes that fit the car. Personally 20" wheels are not for me. I like my ride comfort too much. :D

fairlady_z 09-28-2012 02:40 AM

Just get some springs to lower it an inch. It will fill up the gap for when you get aftermarket wheels. For wheels, how about going in between and get 19" wheels? Put nice tires on there and you'll be good. Seems like you rather hit the twisties more often than the track. This setup should give it mobility. For exhaust, start with just a muffler. Then, slowly build your full exhaust up til you reach the headers. It will still sound good and you aren't dumping all your cash at once on a full exhaust.

Hoops432 09-28-2012 10:13 PM

My car spends more time on the track than the road these days, and I'm still on stock suspension. Sure, I should probably change it soon, but it has served me VERY well over many track days and mountain roads for the past 6 years. If you are not doing it for the lowered look, and considering what you want to use her for, I think you should leave messing with the suspension for later. Do get the TMS camber kit though. That helps sharpen the front-end for very little cost.

If I could only do one thing to a Z4M and cost wasn't a big factor, it would be to supercharge it. For you that means headers too I believe..... But that's just me. Although I notice others also feel, after installing the supercharger, that this is the way the car should and come to begin with. :) Beware though, if you start tracking the car, after supercharging you will soon need a big brake kit.

Shipkiller's advice regarding a track day is excellent and if you plan to do that, I wouldn't do a thing to the car before your first time out. I'd ignore shipkillers advice on an SSK though. Far more trouble than it's worth IMO. ;)

EDIT: On second thoughts, if I could only do one thing and I wasn't tracking the car, I'd probably do the exhaust. Nothing adds to the excitement like a louder soundtrack.