Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Fog light delete 550 Msport (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648351)

Mbbrewer 09-26-2012 12:17 PM

Fog light delete 550 Msport

I really can't stand the way the fog lights look on the M-sport bumper. Is there a way to remove them and replace with a flush grille? If not, I was thinking of getting blackout covers to at least conceal them so they blend in a little better.

Stealth.Pilot 09-26-2012 04:35 PM

I think the M550DX has no foglights. You can buy the grille inserts for that car from Germany, and then install those and hide the fog lights behind the bumper to avoid error messages.

Mbbrewer 09-27-2012 12:16 AM

How would I find the part numbers for those inserts?

Mbbrewer 12-14-2012 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, just an update on this. Thanks to Stealth's idea, I bought the M550d lower grills from a BMW dealer in the UK right before I moved back to the US. I removed the fog light grills then removed the fog light housing and tucked the actual bulb away inside the bumper with a twist tie. Keeping the bulbs connected prevents any error codes. The new grilles just popped right in and fit perfectly. I think deleting the fog lights gives a much cleaner look. I'll post some actual pics tomorrow, but below is a photo that is representative of the look.

http://i47.tinypic.com/35a3pj4.jpg

Stealth.Pilot 12-14-2012 08:44 PM

I knew that would work.

Now you should get the M5 euro foglight switch from ECS tuning. Then your dash will be consistent with the look.

Chuck W. 12-14-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot (Post 7250801)
Then your dash will be consistent with the look.

You, sir, are a true purist.

Mbbrewer 12-15-2012 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic with the new grilles.

Attachment 353300

RajG 12-15-2012 08:19 AM

Wasn't sure if I would like it, but that looks really good. Nice and clean. How much were the grills in the UK?

Raj

Mbbrewer 12-15-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajG (Post 7251395)
Wasn't sure if I would like it, but that looks really good. Nice and clean. How much were the grills in the UK?

Raj

Thanks Raj. I paid 53.58 each. They had to be ordered from Germany and took about a week to arrive at the dealer.

Chuck W. 12-15-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbbrewer (Post 7251555)
I paid 53.58 each.

$86.63 USD. :thumbup:

MWPos 01-01-2013 07:48 AM

I'm interested in doing the same thing and deleting my M-Sport fog lights; can you give us any information about how you ordered the M-Sport bumper mesh grills without the foglight holes?

Thank You!

Mbbrewer 01-01-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWPos (Post 7282365)
I'm interested in doing the same thing and deleting my M-Sport fog lights; can you give us any information about how you ordered the M-Sport bumper mesh grills without the foglight holes?

Thank You!

I ordered these parts online from my local dealer in England and had them shipped to my house there right before I moved back to the US. They were back ordered in Germany and took 2 weeks to arrive. I was not able to find the part numbers through the US, so you will probably need to do 1 of 2 things.

1. Find a dealer in the US who can source them.
2. Take a vacation to Europe and order them while you are there.

The part numbers you will need are 51118055133 and 51118055134.

MWPos 01-01-2013 10:04 AM

Thank you! Fortunately, I work for a multinational program which includes Germany as a partner nation....I feel a business trip to Munich may be necessary in the near future :)

Needsdecaf 01-01-2013 11:52 AM

Lol, there are far easier ways.

DallasBimmer 01-01-2013 02:29 PM

I like the inserts, but I love the way my fog lights look; Part of the reason I got the M-Sport over the regular front end 535i.

MWPos 01-02-2013 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've done more research...and looked more closely at the photos and the actual parts at realoem.com, and lo-and-behold found that the left and right fog light grills are not identical mirror images...I would have noticed from your photos had I looked closely enough.

My solution for my low-budget but full OEM M bumper conversion for my 535i is to buy two of the center grill meshes, use one, and cut the other in half and trim to fit into the bumper's fog light housings. I'll use small plastic strip-ties to hold this mesh in place with solid flat plastic inserts behind the mesh to hide the tied-up fog light bulbs.

Mbbrewer 01-02-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWPos (Post 7286023)
I've done more research...and looked more closely at the photos and the actual parts at realoem.com, and lo-and-behold found that the left and right fog light grills are not identical mirror images...I would have noticed from your photos had I looked closely enough.

My solution for my low-budget but full OEM M bumper conversion for my 535i is to buy two of the center grill meshes, use one, and cut the other in half and trim to fit into the bumper's fog light housings. I'll use small plastic strip-ties to hold this mesh in place with solid flat plastic inserts behind the mesh to hide the tied-up fog light bulbs.

You are correct, the driver side grill is solid while the passenger side is open. For some reason this is also the case on my wife's X5 35d (which is stock). Its very hard to tell in person. I considered doing something similar to what you described. I look forward to seeing how they turn out. :thumbup:

K-A 01-04-2013 05:17 PM

I was thinking of tinting over them, but I like the foglights look actually. Gives it a more aggressive/sporty appearance to me, and the function can't hurt.

I just wish they were LED's so you could turn them on at night if you want more lights on but don't want to add a dash of "yellow" to your hyper white. Then again, I believe fog lights only work properly if they're yellow as being white would be regressive in the event of.... fog.

Mbbrewer 01-04-2013 05:29 PM

I had mine tinted at first while I was waiting to get the grilles. It looked better and blended with the mesh well but it just liked like two holes. For some reason I think the fogs are distracting. It's the first thing my eye picks up on the M sport.

MWPos 01-04-2013 08:55 PM

ahhh...the old fog light color question...discussion on this topic by Car Talk http://www.cartalk.com/content/do-fo...ou-see-through is quoted below. Unfortunately for me, and possibly I'll offend you, for which I profusely apologize in advance, but the M bumper fog lights look to me more like "frog" lights....something about their outward facing geometry...sorry!!!

BEGIN QUOTE:
Do fog lights work? Do they help you see through the fog, or do they just light up the fog? Are yellow fog lights better than clear fog lights? Should they be mounted low on the vehicle to search forth underneath the fog cloud? I am so confused -- you might even say I am "foggy" on the fog-light issue. Therefore, I ask you to search through the fog of your collective brain cells and enlighten the world to the truth about fog lights. -- Pat

RAY: Great question, Pat. How I wish this were the only subject we were foggy on!

TOM: There are many different kinds of lights that people put on the front of their cars these days. There are driving lights, fog lights, Velux motorized sky lights ... we've seen 'em all. Most of them are purely decorative. And many are used and/or aimed incorrectly, and they simply blind oncoming drivers.

RAY: But fog lights, when used and aimed correctly, might be useful to some drivers. As you probably know, if you project light directly into the fog, it bounces off the fog droplets and reflects in all directions, making it even harder to see. That's why you use your low beams in fog rather than your high beams.

TOM: Fog lights are low-mounted lights (bumper level or below) that project light that's cut off at the top. So the light pattern on a good-quality fog light goes straight out at bumper level and down, but not higher than that.

RAY: The reason for this is that fog tends to hover about 12 to 18 inches off the ground. So by projecting light in that fog-free pocket, you can illuminate the road a greater distance from your car and therefore see farther ahead. Some people swear by fog lights. Others claim that they don't really make much difference.

TOM: So the question becomes, to yellow or not to yellow? There's a lot of debate about this, but the research says that yellow lights are no better than white lights at penetrating fog. The theory bandied about was that yellow light has a longer wavelength and is therefore less likely to be reflected by the fog particles. Turns out, this is complete poppycock.

RAY: Apparently, the fog particles themselves are so big that they reflect all colors of light. Basically, all light bounces off of them, so using yellow light instead of white light gives you no advantage.

TOM: Plus, in order to get yellow light, what fog-light manufacturers do is put a yellow lens over a white light. That cuts your light output by 20 percent to 30 percent, which is counterproductive.

RAY: So if you live in a coastal area where fog is a real problem and you want to give fog lights a try, we'd suggest a set of high-quality, white fog lights that are professionally mounted to be sure they're aimed correctly. And don't forget to check their aim periodically. Since they're mounted low, they can be knocked out of alignment when you run over things like snow banks and stalled Toyotas.

demas 08-18-2013 12:53 AM

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. Saw it when it was first posted but didn't think much of it until I went searching for blank inserts. Blanking out the fogs does look better with the M-sport bumper.

Schmiedman carries these 550D OEM parts - I just don't like the horizontal silver accent across the middle and will consider blacking that portion out.

I never use the halogen fogs and will not do an HID, Xenon look-alike or an LED upgrade and this option makes the front a tad more aggressive.

I'm sure the F10 has got this, but even in the E39 there was a safety feature where if the main headlight bulb were to go out, the DME would automatically turn on the fog light on the side where the main bulb failed as a safety feature for on-coming traffic. I guess I can live with not having this.

quackbury 08-18-2013 06:40 AM

Too bad you can't just move the front fog light bulbs to the rear. Then you could drive around with the rear fogs on all the time, just a dumbazz Audi driver. One of the reasons those of us with blue Bimmers are constantly full of rage...

Steve J 08-18-2013 09:33 AM

Mbbrewer congratulations; your variation on a theme is splendid. The car looks neater and more cohesive. I think foglights uglify (I've invented a new word) the M Sport and I wish they were optional. Thank goodness the F10 M5 doesn't have them!
So you basically covered them to avoid error alerts. Well defogging is an option I'll meditate over but I must say it was love at first sight. I had a visceral reaction on seeing the photo of the defogged M Sport.

demas 08-26-2013 08:17 AM

Ordered the fog delete intake grilles and they should be arriving next week. $56 each, from Denmark.

the more I see the fogs I realize how much better the front of the M-Sport would look with the delete.

looking forward to this;)

bmw325 07-28-2014 06:39 PM

Glad I found this thread. The fog lights really ruin the look of the msport bumper IMO. Anyone tried the m550d inserts on a 2014?