Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   windshield washer fluid pump question... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648390)

Gahngoo 09-26-2012 04:13 PM

windshield washer fluid pump question...

3 Attachment(s)
I recently discovered that my windshield washer fluid pump was leaking. I pulled back to the fender lining and got to the pump to remove it. I took a look at the pump and saw that it was leaking from the bottom. if you look at the picture, you'll see a rectangular opening. That is where the fluid was leaking from.

Here's my question: Is this some sort of vent, or can I fill it with silicone to stop the leak? (2007 530i)
I'm ready to glue it, so quick responses are appreciated!!!

vern 09-27-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gahngoo (Post 7098519)
I recently discovered that my windshield washer fluid pump was leaking. I pulled back to the fender lining and got to the pump to remove it. I took a look at the pump and saw that it was leaking from the bottom. if you look at the picture, you'll see a rectangular opening. That is where the fluid was leaking from.

Here's my question: Is this some sort of vent, or can I fill it with silicone to stop the leak? (2007 530i)
I'm ready to glue it, so quick responses are appreciated!!!

Thats not going to stop the leak. Do a search for a new pump, there cheap enough . I got a OEM pump through amazon $10.95 shipping included
cheers
vern

brocyourworld 09-27-2012 06:30 AM

Nothing better than logging on to ask a question and seeing that someone else has the same issue and a solution has already been posted. Love this forum!!!

Anyone got a pics or a DIY on how to get to the pump?

john@eac 09-27-2012 07:51 AM

Here is a link to the washer pumps that we carry if you would like to check them out. http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/pa...ge/31/2007/378

Gahngoo 09-27-2012 08:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm glad a new one is cheap. This is probably the cheapest repair I've seen with this car!

Gahngoo 09-27-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brocyourworld (Post 7099462)
Nothing better than logging on to ask a question and seeing that someone else has the same issue and a solution has already been posted. Love this forum!!!

Anyone got a pics or a DIY on how to get to the pump?

It's pretty simple. Take off the front driver-side wheel. Then unscrew the wheel-well lining. You don't have to take the liner off, just pull it to the side. You'll see the white washer fluid reservoir. The pump is at the bottom. Pull it up and out. It just sits in a grommet. You're done.

Gahngoo 10-03-2012 12:05 PM

Update: I glued the pump with marine tec epoxy. No leaks. No problems. The plastic housing on the pump cracked along the seam causing it to leak, but the glue took care of that. :-)

dartery 03-20-2013 06:08 AM

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gahngoo (Post 7099725)
It's pretty simple. Take off the front driver-side wheel. Then unscrew the wheel-well lining. You don't have to take the liner off, just pull it to the side. You'll see the white washer fluid reservoir. The pump is at the bottom. Pull it up and out. It just sits in a grommet. You're done.

This info proved to be invaluable.

Tomahawk674 03-20-2013 09:02 AM

I just did the same on my car last saturday. I was very concerned when I found a puddle of red liquid under my car - until I realized it was washer fluid. I the did research and found many different models have the exact same pump, and tons of the original pumps leak.

Westlakeoh1 03-22-2013 05:38 AM

I have the same issue. I actually purchased new pumps twice. The first new one, after I installed, would not pump washer fluid so I returned it. I purchase another and installed it, and again, no fluid delivered to the windshield. I re-installed the old leaking pump.

Does anyone know if the new pump needs to be primed first? I have a 05 545 and I don't understand why either new pump works. I went to two different providers for the pumps and both website provide the same pump part number.

anyone else experience this issue?

pcy 03-22-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westlakeoh1 (Post 7462685)
I have the same issue. I actually purchased new pumps twice. The first new one, after I installed, would not pump washer fluid so I returned it. I purchase another and installed it, and again, no fluid delivered to the windshield. I re-installed the old leaking pump.

Does anyone know if the new pump needs to be primed first? I have a 05 545 and I don't understand why either new pump works. I went to two different providers for the pumps and both website provide the same pump part number.

anyone else experience this issue?

We don't need to prime the washer fluid pump.

Other than the leak, the old pump is working fine? Water is coming out of the jets with the old pump?

There is a strainer/filter and the grommet fits over the inlet of the pump and that grommet assembly sits in the opening of the tank. Are you sure you are installing correctly?

Westlakeoh1 03-22-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcy (Post 7462743)
We don't need to prime the washer fluid pump.

Other than the leak, the old pump is working fine? Water is coming out of the jets with the old pump?

There is a strainer/filter and the grommet fits over the inlet of the pump and that grommet assembly sits in the opening of the tank. Are you sure you are installing correctly?

Yes, the old pump pushes water out of the jets just fine. The problem is when I installed both new pumps - exactly the way the old pump was, grommet included
- and nothing comes out of the jets. Both new and old motors are identical in appearance. I just lived through this winter with the old motor that leaks a gallon of wiper fluid in a couple days.

When i warms, I'll put the last new motor I purchased and see if there are still leaks, maybe the tank is leaking. the weather has just been too bad to do this yet.