Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   17 inch rims and wheels (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648604)

michael T 09-27-2012 06:53 PM

17 inch rims and wheels

Hello, I have the 35i which uses 18 inch wheels and tires. Has anyone gone to a smaller wheel and tire for the snow tires? Thanks. :)

slambmw 09-27-2012 10:17 PM

I purchased the recognized 17" snow tires this summer from the dealership and they assured me they will be fine for the snow.

He mentioned smaller wheels are actually better in the snow with less slippage. This is due to smaller size can cut through with more weight on the tread, while larger tires spreads the weight and has to plough into the snow with the wider size.

Honestly, not sure if this is true and hope someone can comment. Will find out in a few months, but lots of early sales on winters if you plan to buy in the near future.

michael T 09-27-2012 11:09 PM

Hi slambmw,
can you quote me the size of the wheels and tires? thanks. :)

michael

slambmw 09-28-2012 01:53 PM

You can search on the BMW.ca website for 17" Y Spoke 305.

Pirelli W210 Sottozero2 RF
225/60R17 99H
Alloy Wheels and Centre Caps included

Price $2,100 cdn + taxes

Tires work for both the 2.8 and 3.5 models.

kglo 09-29-2012 09:30 AM

Hi slambmw - which dealer did you get the $2100CDN + Tax price for that package? Shows over $3K as MSRP.

Thanks!

slambmw 09-29-2012 01:32 PM

Got the winter tire kit at Toronto location Yonge & Steeles. Great dealership, the car was purchased in Newmarket. They're working to get my service business, I highly recommend them.

michael T 09-29-2012 03:39 PM

that's a great price...:) especially when it includes the tire pressure sensors. I wish I could get it here in Vancouver for the same price. :cry:

BMW4grrl 09-29-2012 07:57 PM

Hi SlamBMW...I agree. That is an amazing price. Do you have a contact name in the parts department? I'm just now starting to think about winter tires now.

My mechanic (Don @ Autotrend who I highly recommend) has told me to go with the smaller wheels for winter. I'm not sure why. I think it has something to do with the larger tire wall for rough roads and pot holes.

slambmw 09-29-2012 08:41 PM

I looked at the invoice and the total amount with all taxes is $2,625 on the road (actually $2,300 sorry not $2,100). The parts manager that sold me the tires was Anthony D (they call him Tony).

These are the recommended tires, so I assume the tire pressure sensors are included with the RFT.

Not sure if this is a good deal, but had difficulties finding RIMs for the winter and gave up and bought these tires since they were approx $800-$1000 below MSRP.

You have to pre-order and pick them up when they arrive. If they have supply, likely 2 days or possibly 2 weeks from the mfg. Might be a good idea to call on their availability and if the price has changed.

slambmw 09-29-2012 08:47 PM

As for the tire size, the dealership recommended the smaller size due to the weight is more concentrated in the smaller width. The heavier area allows you cut into the snow, with wider tires you spread the weight and prone to more sliding.

BMW4grrl 09-29-2012 09:47 PM

Hi SlamBMW...that's excellent info. Thanks for writing back so fast. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what the pricing is like now. I'm also looking at Tire Rack and found some good recommendations here. I would prefer the BMW badging, though.

Slam...do you have a another name? It may help me if they have raised their price. Also, what dealership is it? I know I can find it but maybe you could save me the search!

slambmw 09-29-2012 10:17 PM

BMW Autohaus 905-886-3380

Ask for Tony D in Parts. Just advise him you're now interested in the promotion during the summer (purchased my tires in late July).

They also offer offsite storage of the tires for a $200+ annual fee. You won't have immediate access and need to call them when you need the tires. Still convenient if you have limited space and unable to lift these heavy alloy wheels.

Good luck!

michael T 09-29-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slambmw (Post 7104524)
I looked at the invoice and the total amount with all taxes is $2,625 on the road (actually $2,300 sorry not $2,100). The parts manager that sold me the tires was Anthony D (they call him Tony).

These are the recommended tires, so I assume the tire pressure sensors are included with the RFT.

Not sure if this is a good deal, but had difficulties finding RIMs for the winter and gave up and bought these tires since they were approx $800-$1000 below MSRP.

You have to pre-order and pick them up when they arrive. If they have supply, likely 2 days or possibly 2 weeks from the mfg. Might be a good idea to call on their availability and if the price has changed.

Hi slambmw,
I read the following at bmw.ca

X3 (2011 on).
17" Y Spoke 305.

17" Alloy Wheels
Pirelli W210 Sottozero2 Run-flat
225/60R17 99H
(X3 xDrive28i only)

MSRP $3,137.00

The 17 inch wheels and tires are for the 28i only. :)
Too bad for 35i owners. :cry:

slambmw 09-29-2012 10:43 PM

Speak to the dealership as the models are identical, except the motor and a few options. They advised 17" will work for both vehicles and I've found errors on the website that is only privy to the dealerships.

02420X3 09-29-2012 10:55 PM

Many (most?) Tirerack wheels can be purchased with BMW center caps. The cost looks to be $15 per wheel.

slambmw 09-29-2012 10:58 PM

The dealerships in Canada charge about the same for the caps...not sure if you can remove them from the existing tires. Caps were included when I purchased the winters from the dealer.

2625 09-30-2012 05:19 AM

Also purchased a set of. Dunlop wintersport 225/50r17 with star spike alloy for my X1 at BMW Autohaus last week. It was ~$1000 less than 2013 MRSP. They were trying to clear the old stocks b4 the new one comes in. One tire was manufactured in 2008, two from 2011, the last one i could read after it was mounted. Mounted them on there same day, i know it is a bit early, but wanted to ensure they are all right. Ending up I had to return right away for rebalance all tires. Tires for X1doesn't come with pressure sensors. Center caps should be able to pop in and out between winter and summer wheel if same size.

Sent from my LG-P925g using Bimmer App

Evlengr 09-30-2012 05:33 AM

Much Cheaper

A smaller tire is indeed better for winter weather (within reason). It forces more weight down into a smaller footprint enabling the tire to dig in better. The larger the tire the more surface area it covers and at times distribute more weight to a larger surface area allowing for increased slippage.

I think your pricing is a little over the top actually as you can go to OEMWheels.com and tirerack.com.

Pirelli, Continental, and Michelin all make tires for BMW and a set of snows can be had for around $800 and wheels at that size around $600 USD.

If you buy the whole set from tirerack.com they will even do a free hunter force balance.

Ooops almost forgot TPM's are about $25 USD per tire.

I recommend not swapping tires from wheel to wheel with the change of seasons.

kglo 09-30-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW4grrl (Post 7104592)
Hi SlamBMW...that's excellent info. Thanks for writing back so fast. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what the pricing is like now. I'm also looking at Tire Rack and found some good recommendations here. I would prefer the BMW badging, though.

Slam...do you have a another name? It may help me if they have raised their price. Also, what dealership is it? I know I can find it but maybe you could save me the search!

Thanks for the info as well Slam!

BMW4grrl, likewise I'd prefer the direct OEM wheels from BMW, even if it is a bit more of a premium. Heard too many horror stories about replicas being warped after a couple of seasons. Wonder if we can get a bigger discount if we do a combo deal with the dealer. I actually bought my X3 from Autohaus (not yet delivered..but super excited) and asked my sales guy to keep me in the loop if there are sales on the winter packages. Though, he hasn't told me about these $2300 packs...:)

slambmw 09-30-2012 07:41 AM

Autohaus are really good people. Regret not buying from the vehicle from them, but they have all the rest of my purchases going forward.

The location of where I purchased this vehicle, I can't recommend. Newmarket Serpa BMW (Formerly Open Road) as they recently changed owners in the Spring. There has been a lot of personnel changes during summer and with new owners, they might not be as negotiable.

As for combining the purchases...this might be an excellent idea. Not sure if these are older tires, but they are OEMs and the models recommended on the BMW website. You should contact "Tony" soon before they raise prices. I'm sure with the huge demand for the new X3s, these RFTs with alloy rims/caps at $575 each might not be available.

BMW4grrl 10-01-2012 05:11 AM

Hi guys...I'm calling Tony this morning. Hopefully, he's there. Some of these guys take Monday's off.

kglo...I'll ask if he can do better if I buy two sets. I'll PM you if he can. Fingers crossed!

slambmw 10-01-2012 06:15 AM

Good morning and good luck.

You can reference the summer $2,300 deal that I paid to refresh his memory and that you'll be doing your maintenance (where they can earn more $$$).

BMW4grrl 10-01-2012 10:31 AM

Hi Slam & kglo...good and bad news.

Good news, the 17' package is still being offered at $2,300. Didn't talk to Tony D. who was off today but they still have some packages kicking around.

Bad news...I was told the 17" would not fit on my vehicle which is the 35i. I questioned him about it and after he seemed to look up a few things I was told that the 35i has a bigger breaking package which would only fit 18" wheels and up. Worse news, the current price for the V-spoke 307's are $3,723. The parts guy is going to have Tony D. call me tomorrow after looking for a set from last year.

Can anyone confirm that the 35i can only take 18" wheels and up??

Thanks everyone!

BMW4grrl 10-01-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slambmw (Post 7104657)
Speak to the dealership as the models are identical, except the motor and a few options. They advised 17" will work for both vehicles and I've found errors on the website that is only privy to the dealerships.

Hi Slam...just going over the thread again. Are you driving the 35i? Are you sure about this? When I questioned them I was told the 35i had bigger breaks. I'll speak to Tony D. tomorrow about this too.

slambmw 10-01-2012 10:49 AM

Glad the deal is still available, but I drive the 2.8 model. Speak with Tony as the weight and the standard tires are already the same, don't understand why winters should be different.