Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Learn from my valve cover gasket mistake (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648994)

lovemyz3 09-29-2012 11:01 PM

Learn from my valve cover gasket mistake

I replaced the z3 valve cover gasket but I think people should know the following if they plan on DIY:

1) Remove all the hoses and wires from the guides found behind the valve cover before doing this install. Specifically, remove the hose from part #12 in the image below.

2) Inspect your air pump vacuum control hose- Mine snapped in half due to being very brittle. (labeled #3 and 4 in diagram)

What was first a valve cover gasket job has now turned into replacing the air pump vacuum control hose part #11657803732

http://s17.postimage.org/s6obo09an/image.png

Randy Forbes 09-30-2012 10:05 AM

If that hose was that brittle, it was wise that you changed it, so "mistake" justified ;)

brock5ga 09-30-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Forbes (Post 7105135)
If that hose was that brittle, it was wise that you changed it, so "mistake" justified ;)

+1. Many times I have to slice hoses with a razor blade to keep from breaking the solenoids or whatever nipple they may be connected to. The lesser of 2 evils and you won't have a vacuum leak when it is back together. Good call.

smayo964 10-02-2012 05:53 PM

Lovemz3, so glad you posted that, even as a reminder. I'm about to do mine this weekend and I appreciate the heads up. Thanx.

lovemyz3 10-04-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smayo964 (Post 7109771)
Lovemz3, so glad you posted that, even as a reminder. I'm about to do mine this weekend and I appreciate the heads up. Thanx.

Make sure when you do the gasket replacement that you carefully pry off the gasket and make sure you clean up with a Q-Tip any plastic/rubber that gets in the valve and the casing. YOU DO NOT WANT THINGS FALLING INSIDE THE VALVE AREA.

Be sure to put RTV around the perimeter but especially the sloping portion on each end.

Finally, I can't stress it enough that you remove the wires/hoses from the bracket that holds them so you DO NOT BREAK A HOSE! =)

Hint- I also used a Q-Tip to clean the inside track of the cover where the rubber goes in. A lot of times the old gasket breaks off inside the valve cover and you have to get it out with a q-tip or flat head.

If you do break the hose, don't worry. I replaced mine with a generic high heat resistant rubber hose from autozone. I bought a few different sizes to try to match it.

Ivanhoe1997 10-31-2012 04:42 AM

Great information. Do you know the tork specs? Will get this done as soon as the gasket comes in. This seems to be a real common thing on the engine. ic

Mikey48 10-31-2012 08:19 AM

We live we learn ! Thank you for the info !

lovemyz3 11-01-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivanhoe1997 (Post 7167685)
Great information. Do you know the tork specs? Will get this done as soon as the gasket comes in. This seems to be a real common thing on the engine. ic

I don't know the torque specs for around the gasket but there are roughly 6 or 8 bolts for the gasket cover (its been a while). I recommend you tighten them in a counter opposing motion whereby you tighten one end a little a then another end a little. This way you get an even seal.

Feel free to shoot me a message or post on here if you have a problem.

Best of luck!!!

Randy Forbes 11-02-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivanhoe1997 (Post 7167685)

If they're 6mm bolts/nuts, the torque spec is like 8Nm__it's a low value.

The importance is that the torque is applied evenly throughout all the fasteners.

I've come across head covers that you'd think were tightened down with a breaker-bar; just stupid. :tsk: