Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Factory changed color (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649105)

HelenfromJersey 09-30-2012 05:44 PM

Factory changed color

I ordered Alpine White 128i convertible, taupe leatherette seats, black trim. Factory said they ran out of black and used white trim on my car. I think it's hideous. Two suggestions from dealer, one we can put applique on top of plastic trim and two, we will talk about it. Car is in production supposed to be finished Oct. 4. What do you think?

JimS 135i X5d 10-01-2012 03:36 PM

Refuse delivery. :mad:

HelenfromJersey 10-01-2012 04:16 PM

Then I'll have to start all over again, with a different dealer. Isn't there a better way to settle this? I would rather try one.

No12 10-01-2012 04:45 PM

I would not accept the car. Order again, knowing it takes longer.

The white trim will annoy you every time you drive the car, not worth it IMO.

JimD1 10-01-2012 06:11 PM

Trim is easy snap-in change. I really like my walnut. Why not ask them for wood (veneer) if they don't have black? You want the car, the dealership doesn't want it on their lot, seems like there is a deal in there.

Jim

TopazTim325 10-01-2012 06:13 PM

Have the dealer order the replacement trim parts in the correct color now and have them swap the trim into the car before your delivery. You'll never evern see the car with the incorrect trim pieces.

HelenfromJersey 10-01-2012 07:07 PM

I don't believe applique over the white is the best kind of offer, but that's what dealer has offered me so far. I will ask for a swap of correct color. Sounds right to me. That white absolutely would look horrible every time I got in the car.

Does factory not have contact with dealers? Just wondering why factory changed a customer's choice. How stupid. Can't they communicate with dealers?

SimiClyde 10-01-2012 08:56 PM

My bet is that someone at the dealer screwed up the order, and they're scapegoating the factory. VIR tells no lies, did they show you the VIR before you finalized the order?

leewtech 10-02-2012 04:23 AM

"the factory ran out of black"..... that makes no sense at all.

If you have ever been to any of the BMW factories you will see that running out of a part is not possible. Even if it were, they would not haphazardly substitute a part not on the build sheet. NOT POSSIBLE

Check your build sheet...dealer screw up...or something got missed.

Refuse anything other than what you ordered!!!

HelenfromJersey 10-02-2012 09:36 AM

To Simi Clyde: Weeks ago I asked salesperson for something in writing so I wouldn't get any surprises. Wouldn't you know by the time she e-mails me the order with the "White trim" mistake on it, the car is in production!! And the order guy at the dealer blamed the factory, telling me factory ran out of black and he can put applique over the white! Salesperson promised to call me yesterday to straighten this out. Of course she hasn't.

No12 10-02-2012 09:53 AM

So, it sounds like the error was at the dealer, not the factory. So far this dealer has made an error on the order form, then lied about it by blaming the factory, and now is not great at returning phone calls.

How much more customer abuse do you take before walking away from this dealer and buying elsewhere? Not acceptable, and indicative of the future with these people.

I know it's frustrating to start over, but I certainly would do that in this case.

Enough already. :thumbdwn:

HelenfromJersey 10-02-2012 02:48 PM

Order form I have says Online Ordering in upper left corner, then says Vehicle Inquiry: Design/MSRP and further down this says 4DH Alpine White Trim where I ordered Black. Doesn't look like any doubt that dealer did this.

I will wait until tomorrowfor salesperson to call me back. She said Monday. I need time to find another dealer if current dealer does not reverse this mistake. Caar is still in production.

thumper_330 10-02-2012 03:03 PM

A dealer tried this crap on me with an M3... I ordered DCT, they put in stick... I ordered electronic suspension... they ignored me. Basically they cut off about $6K in options and tried to charge me the same price... then when I brought the "mistake" to their attention they told me my "new options" would raise the price. I told them I wished to cancel the order... the sales guy told me the sales manager would call me back the following day... and they promptly "lost" my phone number for a month despite repeated calls to them.

When they did call me back they informed me the car was in production (which I already knew thanks to BMW's website). I promptly called an attorney. In my case of course it was a Euro Delivery so I already had my flights, hotels and vacation plans already set... so I had to rapidly throw together a different vacation. Yeah, nightmare barely begins to cover it... and I had put a sizeable deposit on the car. For the record, after playing "chicken" with me and the courts for 18 months they finally settled for a sum I found reasonable...

Anyway, I digress. I agree with others here; refuse delivery. They are just not holding up their side of the bargain. Check the original papers you signed and make sure it lists the black trim... if the car they ordered has ANYTHING other than that, it's not your car.

Remember, it's not yours until you take the keys and leave the lot. Up to that point you are well within your rights to refuse the delivery.

If you like you can call BMW USA and see if they can verify the claim that the factory "ran out of black"... quite frankly an excuse I find completely mind-bogglingly stupid.

Leslierc 10-03-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper_330 (Post 7109465)
Remember, it's not yours until you take the keys and leave the lot. Up to that point you are well within your rights to refuse the delivery.

What he said! Check your documents. If it says "Black Trim" on your order documents (and nothing about BMW's right to substitute components), you have the leverage.

HelenfromJersey 10-03-2012 07:47 AM

The order was wrong. By the time I got the order form in writing, it was too late. The car was in production. The guy who did the ordering then told me it was the factory that changed it from black to white. What leverage can I have when the mistake is made at the beginning? I also have it in writing from me asking the salesperson for all my options in writing to avoid "surprises". She didn't do this. Then my fear came true. I got my surprise. It's hard to describe how ugly that white looks.

thumper_330 10-03-2012 10:27 AM

Before the order was ever placed, you should have signed an agreement that listed all the options. If not, then it still sounds like the dealership is at fault for not following a process... check your contract. First place to check.

Of course, if you didn't sign a contract then the car's not yours anyway.

HelenfromJersey 10-03-2012 06:28 PM

I kept sending emails to salesperson, but she didn't answer my questions, was always telling me how busy she was. A lot was not done properly.

Bob Z. 10-05-2012 10:26 AM

I recently ordered a 2013 135i convertible and agree with the other person that you should have received a sheet with the details on it that you had to sign/date. It sounds like the dealer skipped that so it may boil down to a "he said, she said" situation but if it were me I would not accept the car with the White trim, period. If you need a new dealer drop me a PM - you can order the car from any dealer and have it sent to a dealer of your choice (I live in FL and the dealer is in GA; I am taking delivery at the PM Center in SC), and odds are my dealer will sell it to you for less: I shopped a lot of dealers and they beat the 2nd lowest by $1100.

thumper_330 10-05-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HelenfromJersey (Post 7112181)
I kept sending emails to salesperson, but she didn't answer my questions, was always telling me how busy she was. A lot was not done properly.

Then it sounds to me like they bought a new 1-series. Get your deposit back because if there's no signed order then they are illegally holding your money.