Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 M5 (2012 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Head 2 Head - BMW M5 vs Porsche Panamera GTS (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649258)

tim330i 10-01-2012 01:22 PM

Head 2 Head - BMW M5 vs Porsche Panamera GTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhykd...layer_embedded

On this episode of Head 2 Head, Motor Trend's Jonny Lieberman pits the 2013 BMW M5 against the 2013 Porsche Panamera GTS in an epic super sedan showdown. The battle begins in California's Mojave desert with a classic quarter-mile drag race. Then Jonny takes both V-8 powered sports saloons up to Big Bear, California to find out which one carves up the winding mountain roads the best.

Alpine300ZHP 10-01-2012 01:46 PM

I have driven the Panny GTS and I just went to a BMW driving event at the Palm Beach Motor Speedway this weekend. After taking about 10 laps around the track in an M6 as well as equal number through the autocross I can attest that the M5/M6 is the better car of the two. I was in love with the Panny GTS until I got some serious seat time in the new M6. There is nothing like coming out of a corner in 3rd gear in the M6 and hitting 130 mph on the back straight. The new M5/M6 are amazing and I will be getting one.

bm323 10-02-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP (Post 7107093)
I have driven the Panny GTS and I just went to a BMW driving event at the Palm Beach Motor Speedway this weekend. After taking about 10 laps around the track in an M6 as well as equal number through the autocross I can attest that the M5/M6 is the better car of the two. I was in love with the Panny GTS until I got some serious seat time in the new M6. There is nothing like coming out of a corner in 3rd gear in the M6 and hitting 130 mph on the back straight. The new M5/M6 are amazing and I will be getting one.

M5 or M6? :)

Alpine300ZHP 10-03-2012 09:00 AM

Without a doubt the M5. The M6 costs more and is not that practical. With the M5 I can somewhat justify the cost.

ObsessedCyclist 10-04-2012 07:03 PM

Well, that's his opinion. What if someone else drove them both? Everyone likes everything differently.

malteseloever 10-19-2012 07:59 PM

I have both. I personally would never take either one to a track, so track performance is of no significance to me. As a daily driver, here are the pros and cons:

M5
More power and torque
Better gadgets (HUD, album art, mobile office)
$13,000 less when comparably equipped

Panamera GTS
Better ride (air suspension)
Lower ride height with lift mechanism standard
Better exhaust sound (sport exhaust standard)
Better steering feel
More special-looking interior ( leather with alcantara, embroidered head rest, black button with chrome trim)
More useable trunk space
Better launch and wet weather performance (all wheel drive)
Much better rear leg room
Better body control (with optional PDCC)

I actually love gadgets, hence my enthusiasm for the M5. The power is also very fun when I am able to use it.

mark_12345 10-28-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malteseloever (Post 7145972)
I have both. I personally would never take either one to a track, so track performance is of no significance to me. As a daily driver, here are the pros and cons:

M5
More power and torque
Better gadgets (HUD, album art, mobile office)
$13,000 less when comparably equipped

Panamera GTS
Better ride (air suspension)
Lower ride height with lift mechanism standard
Better exhaust sound (sport exhaust standard)
Better steering feel
More special-looking interior ( leather with alcantara, embroidered head rest, black button with chrome trim)
More useable trunk space
Better launch and wet weather performance (all wheel drive)
Much better rear leg room
Better body control (with optional PDCC)

I actually love gadgets, hence my enthusiasm for the M5. The power is also very fun when I am able to use it.

Well said, malteseloever.

Both are great cars but the Porsche is built as a true sports sedan.
I've read several reviews comparing the M5 against Audi, MB, Porsche and it hasn't taken any first places like in the past. The thing that is against the new M5/M6 is the weight and steering....unless you are Porsche (miracles happens)