Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E34 (1989 - 1995) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   15k oil with warranty beat that ! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649395)

robertobaggio20 10-02-2012 09:20 AM

15k oil with warranty beat that !
 
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil 15k miles/ 1 year :

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ce_10W-30.aspx

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil's warranty ! :

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._Warranty.aspx

And extended oil filters with warranty (though they say that you shouldn't need to change the stock filter) :

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_Filters.aspx

Got this from a customer review off wal-mart's website (and its only US$27 for 5w30 there ! )

It will save you money in the long run!02/25/2012
" My wife drives about 28,000 miles a year. I started using Mobil 1 Extended range in her car the first oil change in it. It is a 2003 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder. It now is approaching 219,000 miles. It is running fantastic. I am a believer in this oil because I change the oil every 15k miles. It saves me 4 oil changes a year over regular oil and 2 oil changes a year over synthetic. Thats about 60 to 80 bucks a year, PLUS I don't have to crawl under her car as often. I Highly recommend this oil! That is why I use it in ALL my vehicles! "

rdc 10-02-2012 12:11 PM

Bet this is mostly road miles. Engine gets hot and stays hot for long periods which burns off moisture. Best conditions I know of for the car, engine and oil. Still good report.

1995i540 10-02-2012 07:12 PM

Not sure what 'running fantastic' is. The dude has a Toyota **** box that can run on the engine oil it came with and be fantastic. I don't really like Mobil-1, it's a butt dyno but I always feel that my car likes Castrol Edge better.

I read that Mobil-1 US is not as quality as it used to be in order to price it self lower for the competition/cut costs. Changing oil at 15K makes me feel wierd.

robertobaggio20 10-02-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1995i540 (Post 7109809)
Not sure what 'running fantastic' is. The dude has a Toyota **** box that can run on the engine oil it came with and be fantastic. I don't really like Mobil-1, it's a butt dyno but I always feel that my car likes Castrol Edge better.

I read that Mobil-1 US is not as quality as it used to be in order to price it self lower for the competition/cut costs. Changing oil at 15K makes me feel wierd.

Mobil1's reputation is well established worldwide. That the manufacturer is prepared to issue a warranty settles the question about its quality. Naturally, preferences differ.

15k oil change is going to feel weird at first and understandably so. This is a major mindset change for everyone. Might I suggest that you start at 11k, then 12k, then eventually 15k and monitor your car's performance along the way. I'm going to start at 10k then 12k then 14k and 15k, with a stock filter change at every 5k....at least until I get one of their extended performance filters.

TemporarySanity 10-02-2012 07:34 PM

I've been using only Mobil 1 and Wix filters in my e39 since I bought it. It had 117,000 mi. then and it now has 290,000 mi. I have been changing it as the dash indicator turns red, which is 12k to 15k mi. Many will tell me I'm crazy for doing so but my method has been working fine for me. I fully believe in Mobil 1 and Wix filters.

1995i540 10-02-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 (Post 7109847)
Mobil1's reputation is well established worldwide. That the manufacturer is prepared to issue a warranty settles the question about its quality. Naturally, preferences differ.

15k oil change is going to feel weird at first and understandably so. This is a major mindset change for everyone. Might I suggest that you start at 11k, then 12k, then eventually 15k and monitor your car's performance along the way. I'm going to start at 10k then 12k then 14k and 15k, with a stock filter change at every 5k....at least until I get one of their extended performance filters.

Do you really think they will replace your engine under that warranty? When I was researching oil there were tons of threads out Mobil-1 quality on bobtheoilguy forums that showed that it was sub par compared to other oils in the tests.

(Perhabs that been proven false now)

1995i540 10-02-2012 07:48 PM

http://jobbersworld.com/valvol2.jpg

TemporarySanity 10-02-2012 07:55 PM

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I have only used their 0W-40 European formula.

robertobaggio20 10-02-2012 08:07 PM

Well Valvoline is clearly the superior oil, but the difference is probably not significant.

That being said, the fact that Mobil1's idle wear characteristics does not meat minimum standards is disconcerting.

Anyone know if Valvoline Synpower can go for 15k ?

p.s. Yes, I do believe they would honour that warranty, but naturally, its going to be hard to prove. Such warranties imo are gimmicks but are a strong vote of real confidence when it comes from a reputed brand. Or am I kidding myself here?

1995i540 10-02-2012 10:09 PM

I mean realistically they will probably (if they ever get to this step) ask you to send you your engine internals for inspection. Or the whole engine and then they can give you 100's of exuses.

snowsled7 10-03-2012 06:17 AM

Research the particular oil you want to run. Not all oils by any manufacturer are ideal for your car.

When I was running Porsche track cars I ran Amsoil. Too many reports of guys running M1 and losing rod bearing #2 on 944's and 928's.

Now I run the M1 0w-40 euro, which is BMW approved and tests well compared to other oils. It is at wal mart so it is priced right.

I agree, they will find an out. Besides, how many engines actually fail do to oil problems anymore? Almost none.

BMWFatherFigure 10-06-2012 11:41 PM

Also be 5miles over on a 15k oil change and 'Sorry Sir, not changed in accordance etc etc etc'. I change mine at half the recomended intervals and expect long engine life and zero problems. Castrol BMWLL01, GTX and Magnatec - depending on which of my cars it is.

robertobaggio20 10-06-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7118473)
Also be 5miles over on a 15k oil change and 'Sorry Sir, not changed in accordance etc etc etc'. I change mine at half the recomended intervals and expect long engine life and zero problems. Castrol BMWLL01, GTX and Magnatec - depending on which of my cars it is.

Its pretty obvious that when they say 15k miles, and they offer a warranty, their oil is probably good till 16k or 17k.

Anyway, as I suggested in a different thread, I would deduct 15% off the top and change at 13k miles. Way better than changing at 7k miles. This only applies to reputed manufacturers with oils of good standing.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms