Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Suggestion to BMW: Replace Beige Leather with Saddle Brown on M Sport Line (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649405)

E36toF30 10-02-2012 09:07 AM

Suggestion to BMW: Replace Beige Leather with Saddle Brown on M Sport Line

Many of us have complained about the restrictive interior options on BMW's "Lines". I agree that it's annoying, but I can also kind of see why BMW did this. If you could get any interior on any line, there would be a much larger number of build combinations. What I'm proposing is the following: offer saddle brown leather on the M sport line instead of beige. From what I've seen, beige is not very popular on the M sport line, whereas many/most of the luxury lines I've seen have saddle brown. Advantages:

- Finally possible to get saddle on a sport/M sport car, which is probably the #1 specific complaint I've heard related to restrictive interior options.
- Number of build combinations remains the same.
- Some people might get M sport instead of a sport line just to get saddle brown, which means more $$ for BMW.
- Others who were already planning to get M sport might upgrade from leatherette to leather just to get this color. I would probably have done this if it were possible (again, more $$ for BMW).
- Luxury line maintains an exclusive combination of saddle brown + anthracite wood trim (probably the best looking interior combo in my opinion).
- BJ would not have had to pretend to like the Luxury line when he secretly hates it ;)

Anyone else think this is a great idea and pretty much a win/win for everyone?

brkf 10-02-2012 09:11 AM

I would have gone M Sport if saddle was an option.

Jamesonsviggen 10-02-2012 09:12 AM

I would have chosen it over black leatherette just to have the contrast. Beige is a bit too "old man" for the M-Sport in my opinion.

justinnum1 10-02-2012 09:13 AM

i want oyster

E36toF30 10-02-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen (Post 7108656)
I would have chosen it over black leatherette just to have the contrast. Beige is a bit too "old man" for the M-Sport in my opinion.

Agreed.

johnofcross 10-02-2012 09:15 AM

I say replace the Coral Red with Saddle Brown and the Beige with the Grey from the Sport line. that would have been best.

E36toF30 10-02-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnofcross (Post 7108669)
I say replace the Coral Red with Saddle Brown and the Beige with the Grey from the Sport line. that would have been best.

I've seen a number of people getting Coral Red on M sport though, whereas I've seen maybe one M sport with Beige, at most.

DerekS 10-02-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36toF30 (Post 7108678)
I've seen a number of people getting Coral Red on M sport though, whereas I've seen maybe one M sport with Beige, at most.

For Canada, the M Sport is restricted to 335i; interior choices are leather (standard), black or red.
But, we can order M Sport blue brakes for only $350 !!!! :thumbup:

johnofcross 10-02-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

I am one of those people. But I think the Saddle Brown is the appropriate hue of 'red' for the line. Grey, instead of Beige, along with EB would have been the perfect color combo for me for sure.

boltjaM3s 10-02-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36toF30 (Post 7108644)

- Luxury line maintains an exclusive combination of saddle brown + anthracite wood trim (probably the best looking interior combo in my opinion).

- BJ would not have had to pretend to like the Luxury line when he secretly hates it

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/DSC_0337.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/DSC_0344.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/DSC_0331.jpg

I think the issue is that Saddle doesn't go with MR or EB and those are very popular M-Sport colors. Saddle is a bit on the orange side, clashes with those choices. So you'd leave someone with those colors with only black or red, way too dark or way too Superman. The Grey leather would likely have been a stronger fourth interior if BMW chose to give another choice.

I'm in your shoes though, was going to replace my E90 M-Sport with an F30 M-Sport but the limiting interior colors and a front end that looks too much like the E90 LCI were dealbreakers. BMW didn't lose money on me though as I just took what I was going to spend and put it towards other options.

Each of the lines has something exclusive to it, Saddle is an exclusive to the Luxury model, makes us special. We call it the Luxury Line Jealousy Edition.

BJ

Technic 10-02-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36toF30 (Post 7108644)
Many of us have complained about the restrictive interior options on BMWNA's "Lines". I agree that it's annoying, but I can also kind of see why BMWNA did this. If you could get any interior on any line, there would be a much larger number of build combinations. What I'm proposing is the following: offer saddle brown leather on the M sport line instead of beige. From what I've seen, beige is not very popular on the M sport line, whereas many/most of the luxury lines I've seen have saddle brown. Advantages:

- Finally possible to get saddle on a sport/M sport car, which is probably the #1 specific complaint I've heard related to restrictive interior options.
- Number of build combinations remains the same.
- Some people might get M sport instead of a sport line just to get saddle brown, which means more $$ for BMWNA.
- Others who were already planning to get M sport might upgrade from leatherette to leather just to get this color. I would probably have done this if it were possible (again, more $$ for BMWNA).
- BJ would not have had to pretend to like the Luxury line when he secretly hates it ;)

Fixed.

Outside the USA there are no such leather colors (neither for Sport Seats) restrictions with the Lines.

E36toF30 10-02-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7108982)
I think the issue is that Saddle doesn't go with MR or EB and those are very popular M-Sport colors. Saddle is a bit on the orange side, clashes with those choices. So you'd leave someone with those colors with only black or red, way too dark or way too Superman. The Grey leather would likely have been a stronger fourth interior if BMW chose to give another choice.

BJ

Personally, I think saddle with Estoril blue would look great. Grey instead of Beige would also be a good choice. Mainly I'm advocating replace the Beige with something more interesting, since I don't think it's going to sell well at all in the M Sport line.

E36toF30 10-02-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technic (Post 7108986)
Fixed.

Outside the USA there are no such leather colors (neither for Sport Seats) restrictions with the Lines.

You're right that BMW NA is responsible for some of the restrictions, such as only being able to get sport seats and sport suspension in sport or M sport lines. However, I went on the BMW UK website and they are restricted to the same three leather colors in M sport (black, red, beige).

mdsbuc 10-02-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen (Post 7108656)
Beige is a bit too "old man" for the M-Sport in my opinion.

Agreed. It doesn't seem like a "Sport" color at all. It might fit in a Modern or Luxury line perhaps. Saddle brown with a contrasting Black stitching, Black with a contrasting blue stitch (to complement the blue stripe on the dash or the EBII exterior color, or Gray with a contrasting black stitch all seem more appropriate for the M Sport than what is being offered.

I don't care for the exterior color limitations either. For me, Imperial Blue with a Saddle Brown "Sport" interior would be perfect.

:thumbdwn: to BMW with all these "Line" limitations.

cantona7 10-02-2012 11:57 AM

I'm with you. Saddle Brown is an awesome color and the closest we now have to the old Cinnamon, which was my favorite interior for the E46 M3. Has anyone actually tried to get Saddle in an M Sport? Back in E46 days, there was also a Saddle Brown that was offered for non-M cars. Back then, the configurator would also prevent you from selecting Saddle with certain exterior colors, but if you had a CA who was willing, the combo would be doable. I know because I had one on order. Wondering/Hoping that this might still be the case.

brkf 10-02-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Considered it with red leather but if I went M I'd want Estoril Blue. My wife saw that config and asked, "Do you get scared when you fight crime?"

Ouch.

Technic 10-02-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36toF30 (Post 7109010)
You're right that BMW NA is responsible for some of the restrictions, such as only being able to get sport seats and sport suspension in sport or M sport lines. However, I went on the BMW UK website and they are restricted to the same three leather colors in M sport (black, red, beige).

You are correct...

Technic 10-02-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantona7 (Post 7109061)
I'm with you. Saddle Brown is an awesome color and the closest we now have to the old Cinnamon, which was my favorite interior for the E46 M3. Has anyone actually tried to get Saddle in an M Sport? Back in E46 days, there was also a Saddle Brown that was offered for non-M cars. Back then, the configurator would also prevent you from selecting Saddle with certain exterior colors, but if you had a CA who was willing, the combo would be doable. I know because I had one on order. Wondering/Hoping that this might still be the case.

It was Natural Brown... my 2002 E46 330i was Orient Blue with Natural Brown with Birch trim. :thumbup:

E36toF30 10-02-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brkf (Post 7109126)
Considered it with red leather but if I went M I'd want Estoril Blue. My wife saw that config and asked, "Do you get scared when you fight crime?"

Ouch.

:rofl:

Yeah, coral red with estoril blue is a little out there for most. Not everyone wants Estoril though. The coral red goes great with white, black, or grey on the exterior. It's an appropriate color to offer on the M sport line. Beige though, I don't believe is.

cantona7 10-02-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technic (Post 7109174)
It was Natural Brown... my 2002 E46 330i was Orient Blue with Natural Brown with Birch trim. :thumbup:

Yes! That's the name. And I had ordered an Orient Blue 325Ci with Nat. Brown through my CA at the time—something that was not doable in the online configuration. Ah...memories...

boltjaM3s 10-02-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantona7 (Post 7109298)
Yes! That's the name. And I had ordered an Orient Blue 325Ci with Nat. Brown through my CA at the time-something that was not doable in the online configuration. Ah...memories...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technic (Post 7109174)
It was Natural Brown... my 2002 E46 330i was Orient Blue with Natural Brown with Birch trim. ::

http://members.roadfly.com/magbarn/IMG_1508.jpg

http://members.roadfly.com/magbarn/IMG_1328.jpg

Nice (colors).

BJ

JustinTJ 10-03-2012 03:04 PM

BMW really should open up the interior combos, even with the lines. I am really hoping they do by the time my lease is up.

I wanted Saddle with my EBII. Greg even tried to go up the ladder to get it. Denied. They lost out on leather from me because of it.

Saddle brown looks magnificent with the anthracite headliner. I don't really like it with the grey top because the interior is 3 tone instead of 2 tone. Makes a pretty big difference.

Technic 10-03-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinTJ (Post 7111777)
BMW really should open up the interior combos, even with the lines. I am really hoping they do by the time my lease is up.

I wanted Saddle with my EBII. Greg even tried to go up the ladder to get it. Denied. They lost out on leather from me because of it.

Saddle brown looks magnificent with the anthracite headliner. I don't really like it with the grey top because the interior is 3 tone instead of 2 tone. Makes a pretty big difference.

This "Line" concept is not a bad idea. The color/leather restrictions in the other hand is simply suspect. One thing is saving money by restricting choices... less inventory, less money on hold doing nothing. But restricting choices that are right there in the same production line but in another bin is idiotic. :rolleyes:

E36toF30 10-03-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technic (Post 7111842)
This "Line" concept is not a bad idea. The color/leather restrictions in the other hand is simply suspect. One thing is saving money by restricting choices... less inventory, less money on hold doing nothing. But restricting choices that are right there in the same production line but in another bin is idiotic. :rolleyes:

I suspect that restricting the choices still saves BMW money somehow. Why else would they do it?

That's why I created this thread -- my suggestion does not increase the number of build combinations, so there shouldn't be any downside to BMW. That is assuming saddle sells better than beige, which I'm quite confident it would in M sport.

Technic 10-03-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36toF30 (Post 7111851)
I suspect that restricting the choices still saves BMW money somehow. Why else would they do it?

That's why I created this thread -- my suggestion does not increase the number of build combinations, so there shouldn't be any downside to BMW. That is assuming saddle sells better than beige, which I'm quite confident it would in M sport.

They have been restricting Individual interior choices as well, even when they are several times more expensive than regular choices and by definition they are supposed to be almost whatever a customer wants. And considering that all these choices are "just in time" delivered parts then I just do not think that we are talking about huge savings.

Unless the production line have been radically re-structured, the last time that I took a factory tour I saw bins and bins of different parts/leather trims in the same line, each one for a different car. :dunno:

It would be very interesting to know for sure what is the rationale of behind this.