Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Increased emissions (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649633)

idriveE60 10-03-2012 09:19 AM

Increased emissions

as a result of increased emissions in my case it was the secondary air valve and pump failure,SES ON , and system running lean according to OBDII codes, so i did some research and found out how to check the secondary air system ,turns out by visual inspection i found the hose that comes from the pump to the valve was pinched right before the valve, not a durable hose kinda thin for being that close to the motor ,i order the hose and valve (pump was good) from bavauto.com about thirty dollars online ,for the time being i installed a stent in the hose to keep it from collapsing and stopping air from passing though,i reset the SEL light fault codes and its been good no SES of for like a week ,untill i ran into some more issues with another increased emissions fault with a engine malfunction reduced power error message on idrive system,so what now i said to myself ,ran a code search on OBII turns out im running lean again and random miss-fire misfire on cylinders 1,2,4 bank 1 bank 2 on o2 sensors ,rough idle like crazy the tack was bouncing and it was making a weird noise from the intake ,flapping rattle sound ,checked out online and found out it was my disa valve (air intake mixture valve) have it on order now ,soon as its replaced i am going to reset the codes and see whats next ,

kushane 10-08-2012 11:01 AM

Are you talking about one of the CCV hoses? I am dealing with something similar - rough idle, and codes P0171 and P0174 (left and right banks running lean) and the SES light on along with the 'Increased Emissions' message. Seems like I have a vaccuum leak because when I spray carb-cleaner on the side of the intake manifold - the rpm surges a bit. Haven't seen exactly where the leak is though.

Ordered the CCV kit, but dreading the DIY on it since I've heard its not fun. Any input from you is greatly appreciated. Also, does the DISA look pretty bent out of shape? I took mine out, but it looked fine and held the flap open when I covered the vaccuum hole with my finger. 74k miles on my M54.

idriveE60 10-15-2012 11:09 AM

increased emissoin follow up on repairs .

8 Attachment(s)
i replaced my disa intake valve the flap that controls the air was snapped open and had no function and caused rough idle and increased emissions fault when i pulled it out the seal around it was flat and had no contour and had an air leak around the seal ,and new hose on secondary air valve to pump ,and new pump the old was kinda filled with carbon build up
was due for replacement .while i was down in the motor i checked all connection to ensure no other issues were present ,i found the crank case vent hose split in half but you could only tell the hose was split by actually touching it that hose is far down the motor had to remove all air intake components to get to it , after replacing all necessary items i have a smooth idle she runs like she supposed to , it seems like these issues were present for a while ,because i had a slight oil leak but couldn't find the source until now wow what a mission ,no ses light on no codes

here are some pics of what was replaced

Attachment 345810

Attachment 345811

Attachment 345812

Attachment 345813

Attachment 345814

Attachment 345815

Attachment 345816

Attachment 345817

idriveE60 10-15-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushane (Post 7120952)
Are you talking about one of the CCV hoses? I am dealing with something similar - rough idle, and codes P0171 and P0174 (left and right banks running lean) and the SES light on along with the 'Increased Emissions' message. Seems like I have a vaccuum leak because when I spray carb-cleaner on the side of the intake manifold - the rpm surges a bit. Haven't seen exactly where the leak is though.

Ordered the CCV kit, but dreading the DIY on it since I've heard its not fun. Any input from you is greatly appreciated. Also, does the DISA look pretty bent out of shape? I took mine out, but it looked fine and held the flap open when I covered the vaccuum hole with my finger. 74k miles on my M54.

yeah my disa valve was really messed up i forgot to take a pic of it ill post it later, but its bad all the was around the seal around it was flat and pressed so i had leak pulling from there ,yeah its kinda of pain but well worth it a dealer or shop is going to be expensive not to mention all the other mark ups they do on labor , all in all my e60 is running smooth, check all your hoses and the oil separator from the crank case to the intake and secondary air pump is usually the problem ,.i posted some pics of the parts replace and that seem to be the cure for now...