Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Out of gas (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649703)

fordent 10-03-2012 02:47 PM

Out of gas

Just go my bmw 328 i sedan with a full tank of gas. Drove sparingly thru 3/4 tank of gas. Noticed when it reached 1/4 tank it no longer kept dropping. The remaining miles on the speedometer and idrive stayed at 142 miles even though i contined to drive several miles. Later driving on the interstate the engine started to miss, displayed a message on the idrive screen that the car was no longer providing full output and that i needed to see a service center. Shortly after that it stoped running. Called for a toe then had a friend bring a gallon of gas to me. After adding 1 gallon the car started right away. Cancelled toe to dealer (to save bmw some money) and filled car with gas 15.8 gallons after adding the earlier 1 gal. It certainly was out of gas even though the display indicated 1/4 tank.. Drove 5 miles back home and parked the car. Next day it wouldnt start. Since weekend decided to wait until monday am to call local dealer. Tried again a few hours later to start and this time it starts, runs, misses a little. Drove to the dealer. Car was missing. And very slow to start when the car had shut off when stopping at intersections.

Dealer had problems running tests. System reported several undervoltage faults, high pressure fuel sytem, dealer found in fault details that the time of first fault was 5 liters. Performed self test of instrument cluster and gauge sweep tested ok. Has cleared faults and wants to return it to me.

My opinion is it ran out of gas, (possibly got air in the gas lines) which caused intermitten engine problem. Dealer doesnt want to drain my gas tank to confirm that it only goes down to 1/4 tank before quitting working. His reluctance is that bmw wont pay for that effort since its not warranted because i brought it in with a full tank.

Has anyone ran out of gas with this engine???? How did it react????
Should i give up and drive it never letting it get below a 1/4 tank, find a better dealer, contact bmw. Let me know what you think.

MMME30W 10-03-2012 03:31 PM

I've never heard anyone report this problem. What kind of gas do you use?

gpburdell 10-04-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordent (Post 7111747)
Called for a toe

Didn't you already have ten of them? (toes) :)

The fundamental issue is that the fuel gauge didn't work right. You can't easily show that to the dealer with a full tank of gas, and if he can't replicate the problem easily he's limited in his ability to fix it.

Drive until you see the gauge stops going down then get it to the dealer ASAP. If in fear of running out of gas, add a gallon or two at a time to keep it at a low level and avoid having to call for a tow truck.

You'd be dumb to just put up with the fault. Get it fixed.

fordent 10-09-2012 11:00 AM

Dealer finally gave in and drained the tank. when it got down to quarter of a tank got bad readings from a faulty sensor. replaced right fuel level sensor diag code d1330-0000000-15-002 replaced fuel pump module and eerything tested fine. filled up car with gas and now it indicates 480 miles to go before running out of fuel was well over 500 before replacing. Problems
are all resolved now.

Dave 330i 10-11-2012 06:45 AM

It's not the gas. People keep blaming gas for hit and misses. Let me tell you guys from experience. I have been using the cheapest (premium) gas on all my premium cars, BMW and 911s, for nearly 40 years, and I have never had a gasoline related problem. Old wives tales are hard to break, and this is definitely one of them. Come on guys, processing gas is the same. The only difference is the amount of detergent and other junk they put in it. The cheap gas has sufficient detergent to keep your car from missing and stalling. Amen!

Get 100 octane or jet fuel to run your cars. If you feel good about it, go ahead, but don't blame the off brand gas. Sure, I use Shell or Chevron, but only if Costco or Arco isn't around.