Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Z4 Roadster (E85) Wife just broke my radio (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649709)

Trapper 10-03-2012 03:12 PM

Wife just broke my radio

My wife just borrowed my car and came back 20 minutes latter saying the radio won't turn on. She said when she started the car AC DC was blasting away:thumbup: and she pushed the radio button to turn it off. Now I can't get it to turn back on:dunno::(:(. Any one have this problem or know what the problem is? The radio on/off knob was a little sloppy before. I can pull and push the knob in and out about 1/2 and inch.

I have the business stereo with CD player with the premium stereo system. (no water in the trunk).

Mikey48 10-04-2012 03:08 AM

Check your Amp fuse. Amp is mounted in the trunk where the battery compartment. Good luck.

GA Z4 10-04-2012 04:18 AM

If you can move the knob about a half an inch in and out it sounds to me like it may have come loose and you aren't actuating the switch when you push it like you think you are. Pull the knob off the shaft and see what's going on behind it.

Trapper 10-04-2012 04:58 AM

Thanks Mikey and Ga,

I don't think it is the amp as the radio does not turn on and display a radio station or a track from my ipod. I am planning on pulling the radio out tonight when I get home to take a look at it. Hopefully a simple repair with some glue, if not I will probably have to replace the radio.

And take my wifes key away from her...."No more BMW you you!!"

GeorgeT 10-04-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper (Post 7111791)
My wife just borrowed my car...

Well, you see that's your problem right there.

FinneganZ 10-04-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Z4 (Post 7112761)
If you can move the knob about a half an inch in and out it sounds to me like it may have come loose and you aren't actuating the switch when you push it like you think you are. Pull the knob off the shaft and see what's going on behind it.

:yikes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper (Post 7112801)
Thanks Mikey and Ga,

I don't think it is the amp as the radio does not turn on and display a radio station or a track from my ipod. I am planning on pulling the radio out tonight when I get home to take a look at it. Hopefully a simple repair with some glue, if not I will probably have to replace the radio.

And take my wifes key away from her...."No more BMW you you!!"

Uh, yeah, but that reminds me on the recent Jack in the Box "Scrabble" commercial. Might have undesirable secondary effects....

In any case, good luck with the fix!

Trapper 10-05-2012 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fixed it. :thumbup:

When I opened up the back of the radio I could see that the knob is a replacment item although I can't see where is broke off or even how it is connected to the face plate in the first place. However since I know the knob works (on/off and volume control) I just used a few drops of Gorilla Glue and reattached it to the main board. I took a picture of it. The picture is a bit fuzzy but the small square green circuit board is the part that came loose.

I guess I should let my wife back in the house now...

GA Z4 10-05-2012 05:57 AM

Gorilla Glue, you can't go wrong there! Thanks for the update, glad everything worked. Yes you should let your wife back in the house now.

STIHLBOLTS 10-05-2012 06:33 AM

Question is will you let her touch the radio controls again? :D

Trapper 10-05-2012 07:17 AM

I think she learned her lesson...it rained last night:D

tohbi 10-05-2012 07:54 PM

gorilla glue is urethane isn't it, requiring clamping? what i like about epoxy is it doesn't require clamping although it doesn't attach well to slick plastic parts.

has anyone tried plastic welding? i've heard of it but not tried it.

Mikey48 10-08-2012 02:56 AM

Rhino Glue is the best. You can buy it on line. This is the best and fastest bonding glue I have ever used ! Good luck !