Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   So who has replaced their runflats? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649810)

macct 10-04-2012 05:33 AM

So who has replaced their runflats?

I should be picking up my car in 2 weeks and my previous experience with runflats was not great. While my thoughts was to stick with the LS2s through the winter, I am now thinking about replacing them sooner. The TireRack survey (that they no longer post) shows them as one of the lowest ratest grand touring tires. They also look particularly weak for winter use, even for an all season, with scores in the low 3s to mid 4s. Given that, I am leaning towards replacing them with Continental ExtremeContact DWS which I have on my other car. So, have you replaced your runflats? If not, are you happy with the LS2 or just waiting until they need to be replaced?

PS - I know this topic has been debated to death on the forums in general, but not so much on the F25 - X3 page. Based on a search, it seems the question gets asked at times, but there are not many respondents who actually changed them out (other than winter tires).

lbjgh 10-04-2012 08:11 AM

To be honest I don't find anything wrong with the RFT on my m-sport. What is the concern, ride quality, grip, handling, winter traction?

Perhaps the dynamic dampers mitigate some of the concerns... :dunno:

gEEkChris 10-04-2012 11:19 AM

I hated the run flats on my 335 and did switch them out. But honestly, I have no problem with them on the X3. They seem to be quiet and with a less sporty suspension than the 335 they don't punish me on every bump. I thought they did quite well in the snow as well.

macct 10-05-2012 05:19 AM

I would like to replace the for a few reason. The car will be leased and it's not likely the LS-2 would make it the whole term. Given that, the thought is to change them out now, allowing me the use of a better performing tire and to put the runflats on when I return the car.

I also looked at the LS-2 ratings and they are disappointing, being one of the lowest scoring tires in their category. They also seem to be a poor mix for winter driving. While I don't need a dedicated snow tire, the scores and comments from a number of people indicate they are not a great choice for wintery conditions. It seems like the tires limit the vehicle's potential.

Jen4BMW 10-05-2012 05:44 AM

Granted I have DHP but I don't have any complaints with the LS2's. Handling is excellent, ride is comfortable and their quiet. How they'll work out in a Minnesota winter remains to be seen. If they turn into ice skates like others claim this will be the big downside because I really don't want to deal with tire storage and installation costs twice a year. Can you say annoying!

lbjgh 10-05-2012 06:40 AM

Jen, when the LS2's are done (or if you find them unsafe in the winter) you may want to consider the Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility tires. I had them on my previous Accord and (when new) worked very well in the snow. You might even want to install them now and sell the LS2 tires while they are new.

Below is the company sales pitch:

Quote:

The Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility is a durable SUV non-studded winter tire that can be used all-year-round. The asymmetrical inside-out tread pattern allows our engineers to design different areas of the tread to focus on the different driving conditions you will encounter throughout the year. So while seasons may change, your choice of all-weather tires remains the same: Nokian WR G2 SUV.
... just a thought.

bigsarge 10-05-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbjgh (Post 7115202)
Jen, when the LS2's are done (or if you find them unsafe in the winter) you may want to consider the Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility tires. I had them on my previous Accord and (when new) worked very well in the snow. You might even want to install them now and sell the LS2 tires while they are new.

Below is the company sales pitch:

... just a thought.

My wife and daughter had the Nokian tires on their vehicles and really liked them. If I remember correctly my wife's Nokian tires lasted for 60,000 miles on her TSX.

car-fan 10-08-2012 07:25 AM

Swapped and stored my stock (GY LS on 309 rims) for 20 inch Yokohama S.Drive/Breyton GTS with less than 2000k on the odo. Night and day Difference. Run Flat technology is getting better in general but still can't match the ride quality of conventional high performance tires.

Couldn't be happier.:thumbup::thumbup:

edbiology 10-08-2012 12:07 PM

Costco tells me that they can't sell me regular tires to replace my run flats if I don't have a spare tire and a jack in my trunk.

mscamp 10-08-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edbiology (Post 7121065)
Costco tells me that they can't sell me regular tires to replace my run flats if I don't have a spare tire and a jack in my trunk.

Sounds like good advice. :thumbup:

edbiology 10-08-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscamp (Post 7121674)
Sounds like good advice. :thumbup:

But....why can't I just use the roadside assistance service of my AAA membership. I pay for that stuff every year.