Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Loud Thud! Car Will Not Move (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649860)

SDBimmer5 10-04-2012 10:34 AM

Loud Thud! Car Will Not Move

So after installing my H&R Coilovers I took the car in for some alignment. The tech got in the car to back it up to take it in and when he tried to back it up the car mad a loud thud and stalls. I thought he had broken something because the noise was loud. He tried to move forward and backward but the car put itself back to park. He attempted a few more times but could not get the car to move. So I went to see what is going on and got in the car, put my seatbelt on, put the car in reverse and backed up. The tech looked at me with astonish and laugh. I guess you have to put seatbelt on in order drive the car. So after the alignment I tried to replicate the problem again at home it did not happend. I took the car in to BMW and told them what happend, the tech has no idea what can cause this. Has this happend to anyone else? My var is a 2010 528i. Thanks!

ArtchredTTU 10-04-2012 10:43 AM

Did the guy have the door open while backing up??? Because you cant move the car front or back with the door open

burnie35 10-04-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artchredttu (Post 7113493)
did the guy have the door open while backing up??? Because you cant move the car front or back with the door open

+1

pcy 10-04-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtchredTTU (Post 7113493)
Did the guy have the door open while backing up??? Because you cant move the car front or back with the door open

Is this feature in certain year models? On my '06 530i, I put the car in REVERSE and open the drivers door [to look back] and I back up in to garage every day... no problems.

I prefer to open the door slightly and look back on drivers side rather than relying on mirrors only.

SDBimmer5 10-04-2012 11:37 AM

Yeah the door was closed, I've even tried to back up with the door open too and it moves just fine.

boramkiv 10-04-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcy (Post 7113614)
Is this feature in certain year models? On my '06 530i, I put the car in drive and open the drivers door [to look back] and I back up in to garage every day... no problems.

I prefer to open the door slightly and look back on drivers side rather than relying on mirrors only.

I think this is LCI only. A message pops up saying secure the vehicle from rolling.
I dont know about it stalling though.

audiophool 10-04-2012 06:32 PM

I drove my '08 out of the garage with the driver's door open the other day, fully expecting it to switch to P. Never did. Didn't go any quicker than a crawl though.

Serpens 10-05-2012 02:11 PM

If you still have the brake pedal a little depressed it won't slam into Park.

audiophool 10-05-2012 04:22 PM

Interesting. Not sure I want to put the tranny into that much stress just to see if it will...

SDBimmer5 10-05-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiophool (Post 7116434)
Interesting. Not sure I want to put the tranny into that much stress just to see if it will...

That was what I was scared of. The noise sounded like the tech had broken a shaft or something. The car rides nice still, I'm curious of what had happend.

B767capt 10-06-2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpens (Post 7116206)
If you still have the brake pedal a little depressed it won't slam into Park.

This is correct along with the door open. Take your foot off the brake and the cars slams to a stop. Theory is or the safety reasoning is you just fell out of the car.

audiophool 10-06-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B767capt (Post 7117077)
This is correct along with the door open. Take your foot off the brake and the cars slams to a stop. Theory is or the safety reasoning is you just fell out of the car.

Or, I suppose, got out of the car without putting it in Park. I always set the handbrake before P, just for extra security - that and I hate to leave the weight of the car resting on the park pin.