Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   General BMW (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sad about trading in old car (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649927)

lovemygsp 10-04-2012 03:35 PM

Sad about trading in old car

Hi all,
I thought I would start a thread about this as surely I'm not the only person. We are officially trading in our old 2000 323i tomorrow. I know its just the memories I'm associating with the car and the car is just an object but darn, it makes me sad. This is the car that I drove 12 hours round trip to pick up my best friend, my rescue dog. My now husband and I spent many nights driving the blue ridge parkway and talking. Heck he even proposed in this car.

I know we need to get rid of it as its getting up there in miles and has a lot of small things that need to be fixed and with the x1 now out it is the logical progression of life but those pesky emotions. sigh.

GroupBquattro 10-04-2012 04:49 PM

Yep, I know the feeling. Went thru the same thing when we had to trade in our E30 325. We loved that red little thing, Dinan chipped, suspension, it was a blast. When our son was born, we felt we needed something bigger and safer, so we bought a brand new E34 525. I felt so bad to let go of my little red rocket, and almost got emotional a few days later when I saw it on the dealer's used car lot. So many memories, so many crazy drives, it's all now on video and in pictures. For months after the trade, every time I saw a red 325 on the streets, I looked to see if it was mine. Years later, my son grew up and that 525 is now his daily driver, while I am with my E39 540 and his mom in a 335 covertible. But we can't forget the little red 325.

mjrbimmer335i 10-04-2012 05:01 PM

I hear ya... But remember we are all fortunate to be turning the page to make new memories that will be just as amazing!!
Hopefully that helps a little...

Andrew*Debbie 10-05-2012 12:14 AM

You could always restore the 323i and keep it. Won't be cheap though. Probably more expensive than your new X1.

a/

vavet5308 10-05-2012 03:54 AM

I sold my 04 Mazdaspeed Miata a couple months ago. The stork will be visiting soon so I need something with 4 doors and a backseat. I'm looking for an E39 touring now. I walked around in a funk for a few days after sending my little red Miata home with her new caretaker.

lovemygsp 10-05-2012 07:29 AM

Aww thanks guys. Makes me feel a wee bit less crazy. Geist (car's name) is all cleaned up and ready to leave us so its its much harder to forget the problems he has. I feel like I'm morning the loss of a friend or something silly.

I've been trying to think of a steller German name for the new x1 but nothing seems to come close to our old car's name. sheesh. If its this hard to name a car I can't image the difficulty when naming a child

And vavet, congrats on the new arrival! I hope everyone comes out of it healthy and happy!