Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   How much is a ticket for no front license plate in SoCal (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649955)

Decboy 10-04-2012 06:37 PM

How much is a ticket for no front license plate in SoCal

Our new F10 didn't come with the front plate bracket mounted and we just received our new plates.

1) Anyone know what the going rate is nowadays for a front plate ticket here in SoCal?
2) Is it a fix it ticket in which you need to get it fixed and bring your car to a local police office to get it written off?
3) Or is it just a ticket that you're willing to pay each time you get written up?

Thanks

Hermes 10-04-2012 07:14 PM

get a no holes license plate bracket

Ace535i 10-04-2012 08:41 PM

Where does one buy them?

evanswan 10-04-2012 08:53 PM

20 to 40 bucks

I hate front licence plates. If you can afford the bimmer you can afford the ticket. don't screw up your cars looks:mad:

filmoreslim 10-04-2012 08:58 PM

$25 in SF...I think the same all over CA...and yes, the cop signing off on your ticket is supposed to check that you have the license plate affixed to the vehicle.

dadesidon 10-04-2012 09:28 PM

$25 in LA

Hermes 10-04-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace535i (Post 7114688)
Where does one buy them?

http://www.gominigo.com/BMW.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanswan (Post 7114709)
I hate front licence plates. If you can afford the bimmer you can afford the ticket. don't screw up your cars looks:mad:

I prefer not to chance getting stopped because a cop noticed no front plate and then inspect my car for all the other possible tickets he can write, the no holes plate comes off easily enough for when you don't want it on. If you don't have 5 minutes to take the GMG version off then you can get the quick release plate from MFest

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USuF2wM_Moc[/video]

Ace535i 10-04-2012 10:56 PM

Is the true purpose of a front plate for the red-light cameras??

Ace535i 10-04-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 7114813)
http://www.gominigo.com/BMW.html

I prefer not to chance getting stopped because a cop noticed no front plate and then inspect my car for all the other possible tickets he can write, the no holes plate comes off easily enough for when you don't want it on. If you don't have 5 minutes to take the GMG version off then you can get the quick release plate from MFest

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USuF2wM_Moc[/video]

Thanks!! :thumbup:

enigma 10-04-2012 11:33 PM

1 - $25 or thereabouts.
2 - Yes, a fix-it-ticket. You need to install a front plate and get it checked off by a law-enforcement officer before sending in the fine.
3 - Nope. See #2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decboy (Post 7114450)
Our new F10 didn't come with the front plate bracket mounted and we just received our new plates.

1) Anyone know what the going rate is nowadays for a front plate ticket here in SoCal?
2) Is it a fix it ticket in which you need to get it fixed and bring your car to a local police office to get it written off?
3) Or is it just a ticket that you're willing to pay each time you get written up?

Thanks

ChrisF01 10-05-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decboy (Post 7114450)

Thanks

I have illegal tint and no front license plate on my SRT8, and no front on my F02.

I've gotten pulled over by CHP for illegal tint on my Chrysler, and its a fix-it-ticket.

Strangely he noticed my lack of front license plate, and I was also speeding(~10 over), but he only nailed me for the tint. I was being courteous and pulled WAY over on the shoulder, and rolled all my windows down, and let him know I was grabbing for my registration not trying to freak him out like I was going for a gun. He was a dick though, that was the strange part. I figured he'd have stuck it to me, guess not.

They send you a bill in the mail.
$25 with proof of correction
$194 (if I remember correctly) without proof of correction.

I have local sheriff friends-of-a-friends, but they wont touch CHP tickets. So I paid the $194 and called it a tax. :rolleyes:

You DONT have to show anyone, unless you dont want to pay the tax, err fee.

Honestly you pay 60k+ for a nice car, dont drill holes in your bumper, 200 bucks a pop is a small price to pay for aesthetic purity haha

chill535ix 10-05-2012 04:30 AM

I think the real issue is no so much how much the ticket might be, it's the concern of being pulled over. At least that's how I view it.

Donm 10-05-2012 05:26 AM

No hole kit is $75 and the fee after remediation is $25, less than the fee for ignoring the citation. Get the no hole kit for the "I'm soooo sorry" visit with the arresting officer and put the plate and mount back in the trunk! You get 5 passes for the price of ignoring the issue and paying $200.

Regards,

jashearer 10-05-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donm (Post 7115041)
No hole kit is $75 and the fee after remediation is $25, less than the fee for ignoring the citation. Get the no hole kit for the "I'm soooo sorry" visit with the arresting officer and put the plate and mount back in the trunk! You get 5 passes for the price of ignoring the issue and paying $200.

Regards,

Very logical thought process :thumbup:

In Iowa it's an $80 non-moving violation that isn't a fix-it.

I get one every couple years in one of my vehicles (only thing that has a front plate over the past 10 years has been my trucks and that's only because the plate mounts are usually standard in the bumper).

Last couple pull overs were solely because of front plate, on the last one I tried to ask the Highway Patrol officer why my motorcycle didn't have to have front plates... he replied back "because the law says a motorcylce doesn't need front plates".... thanks genius.

I don't mind paying the fine but the fact that I don't speed and am a very cautious driver and still get pulled over for asthetic reasons only pisses me off. There are lots of terrible drivers out there endangering other folks on the road, my lack of a front plate will never ever harm anyone else or their property.

Jay

Decboy 10-06-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace535i (Post 7114846)

Yes. That is why certain places known for red light cameras such as West LA will have greater risk of the front plate citation.

Keyser Soze 10-07-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Of course it is, the red light operator corporation needs a pic of your mug AND front license plate to make sure you experience exceptional customer service. The city/county/state then gets a small kickback so they'll keep passing more ordinances.

Ace535i 10-07-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze (Post 7119129)
Of course it is, the red light operator corporation needs a pic of your mug AND front license plate to make sure you experience exceptional customer service. The city/county/state then gets a small kickback so they'll keep passing more ordinances.

What did you use to attach the front plate onto your new car??

tcandmm 10-07-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decboy (Post 7118418)
Yes. That is why certain places known for red light cameras such as West LA will have greater risk of the front plate citation.

I personally would not risk it and have to worry it about it every time you're driving. Keep in mind you'll also get a parking ticket ($25 each time) when you park on public streets here in LA without front license plate, in addition to being pulled over by LAPD or CHP. On my last E60 I got tired of it after several parking tickets and finally had the dealer install it for me.

There are some alternatives out there including using the tow hitch to mount the plate frame which is easily removable, other people also use 3M double-sided tape.

Chuck W. 10-07-2012 01:55 PM

I live just above Los Angeles and have five vehicles; all have no front plate and four are illegally tinted. I have never been stopped or cited for no front plate and my wife has got one cite for tint. Not bad. A lot of it is where you live.

A big tip in California is the citation has to have the "Correctable Violation (40610 VC)" box checked "yes". If not, there is a good chance that you will not be offered the fix it for a lower price option.

Keyser Soze 10-07-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace535i (Post 7119146)
What did you use to attach the front plate onto your new car??

I had the dealer do it (just to get it over with) : (

I got one of my old fix-it tickets waiting for me AT A MALL of all places. It sucks but I don't want to provide even one sniff of a reason to get yanked over (as I look at the 35%/50% tint I just had put on) DERP.

AndrewZ 10-07-2012 04:58 PM

In Los Angeles, not only does LAPD issue no front plate tickets, so does parking enforcement if they see you car parked in the street with no front plate.

Not entirely sure, but I believe a second no front plate citation is an incorrectable violation. Could be wrong though...

AndrewZ 10-07-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

No, police cars are equipped with license plate scanners that not only scan cars that are in front of them, it scans the ones behind them and oncoming. Very useful when searching for a stolen vehicle.

Chuck W. 10-07-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Raven (Post 7119591)
No, police cars are equipped with license plate scanners that not only scan cars that are in front of them, it scans the ones behind them and oncoming. Very useful when searching for a stolen vehicle.

Yes and no. The license plate readers are out there and a great tool for law enforcement. However, over the last several years with many cities installing red light enforcement cameras there was a big push for officers to issue front license plate citations so the camera could pick them out. This was particularly true in the cities of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood.