Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 M3 (1995-1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   HELP me solve my no start problem please 1998 m3 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649995)

snysny89 10-04-2012 11:37 PM

HELP me solve my no start problem please 1998 m3

Hey guys, I am new to the forum so sorry if this has already been talked about elsewhere. Some background info...I recently bought a 1998 m3 w/123k. Within a few weeks of owning it the expansion tank released all the anti-freeze (steamed out). So I took it in and had to get a new expansion tank and all the hoses etc.. I had no choice to do it myself since Its my daily driver. I was charged $470 for this parts and labor. While I had it in I expressed a concern I had had about the car not "firing up" great. sometimes I would have to stomp on the pedal to start it up, does not always fire up right away like it should. Without even checking he said I need a fuel pump assembly and pressure regulator and he could do it for $660. I said no thanks because I was not very happy with him and Id rather order the parts myself IF thats the problem. I also had a brake light switch installed for a check control error of brake light circuit. Long story short he says he checked the fuel pump and it isnt holding pressure. A few weeks later (tonight), the car would not start. lights windows radio air all work but it would not crank over at all. it makes a hissing sound sounds like its coming out of the stereo or control module. I googled it and it sounds like maybe I have a blown fuse, ignition or bad starter, or maybe it is infact the fuel pump assembly? After googling I tried to start it again and it caught, I drove it around briefly and all seemed fine...anyone have some insight.

Also a few weeks ago I had the spining key problem..I am just not sold on wheter or not it is a bad fuel pump or something wrong with the starter or even just a fuse. How do I check, etc..

snysny89 10-04-2012 11:41 PM

Could any of the recent work have caused some sort of no start situation. ( expansion tank and all hoses, brake light switch installed). I feel like maybe something happened when they put the brake light in. I have read about similar things happening causes fuses to short electrical problems and also something to do with the security system not allowing the car to crank.. Please guys I need some help I cant really afford to spend another 660 and be S.O.L if it doesnt fix the problem

petriej 10-05-2012 11:50 AM

Yea it's not related to the brake light circuit. Next time post to the regular E36 forum for faster response.

You can check the fuses yourself, but it sounds like it is either the starter or the fuel pump.

snysny89 10-08-2012 03:02 AM

thanks

OK thanks will do. Ok well how do I check the fuses (mine are not the see thru kinds). it has been starting up with some help from my foot on the pedal but I am thinking that my fuel pump may be going bad and I need to replace it. But i would also not be uprised if the issue was electrical because the car acts up sometimes