Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Just got my 2013 328xi - Have a few ?s (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650007)

ojasray 10-05-2012 04:17 AM

Just got my 2013 328xi - Have a few ?s

Just got my 2013 328xi - Have a few questions, if anyone can help me out:

1. How come there is no track forward or reverse button on the wheel? is there a special setting i need to change to have my volume button act in that manner?

2. When i test drove the car at the dealership they had a button for the handbrake, in my model i actually have a handbrake. Is it because the car i test drove was a different model (luxury,sport,..)

3. I have heated seats - shouldn't i have heated wheel? if so how do i turn that on?

more questions to come as I start driving it more...

thanks in advance for all your help

boltjaM3s 10-05-2012 06:02 AM

1. The car now uses the right thumb wheel on the steering wheel to "scroll" through songs. If you have the Tech Package, the song list will appear on the HUD. If you don't have the HUD the song list will appear on the LCD between the gauges. Either way, you rotate the wheel one stop north and push it in to "skip".

2. You are mistaken. It's a manual handbrake.

3. Heated steering wheel is a separate option from heated seats alone. Winter package needs to be on your build.

BJ

ojasray 10-05-2012 06:32 AM

BJ,

Thank for the reply,

1. is there a way to automatically have the side mirrors go up and down? Go up when the car is turned off and down then the car is on?
2. You are right about the HUD - just not used to that i guess (my tsx 09 had a button for it)
3. I only have heated seats

4. any idea on how i can get just a rear view camera installed? without paying crazy amount of money at the dealership?

voip-ninja 10-05-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojasray (Post 7114971)
more questions to come as I start driving it more...

thanks in advance for all your help

I think you'll find people here are more than willing to help if you at least try to peruse the manual before asking some basic questions.

The F30 all have a manual handbrake, so you are mistaken on what you experienced at the dealership.

If you didn't get winter package you don't have a heated steering wheel.

You can't "skip" tracks with the steering wheel buttons, you will have to use the buttons on the radio. You can select songs from the current playlist with the scroll wheel but there's no way to "skip" that I am aware of.

tim330i 10-05-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojasray (Post 7115173)
BJ,

Thank for the reply,

1. is there a way to automatically have the side mirrors go up and down? Go up when the car is turned off and down then the car is on?
2. You are right about the HUD - just not used to that i guess (my tsx 09 had a button for it)
3. I only have heated seats

4. any idea on how i can get just a rear view camera installed? without paying crazy amount of money at the dealership?

You can code the mirrors to go up and down based on comfort access or key fob for the F10, I would guess you can do the same on the F30 -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=mirrors

There will probably be a rear camera retrofit from one of our sponsors coming soon.

Tim

boltjaM3s 10-05-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voip-ninja (Post 7115178)
You can't "skip" tracks with the steering wheel buttons, you will have to use the buttons on the radio. You can select songs from the current playlist with the scroll wheel but there's no way to "skip" that I am aware of.

There's a way to use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel to skip (sort of).

Without looking at the display, scroll the wheel down one click (you'll feel it) and push it in.

In reality, you're bringing up the 'list' and choosing the next track, but if you don't look at the list it's the same thing as the blind 'skip' feature.

Wheel down + Push in = Skip on steering wheel

BJ

MML007 10-05-2012 08:05 AM

I thought power-folding side mirrors is a standard feature, no?

tim330i 10-05-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MML007 (Post 7115387)

They are. But you have to manually fold them in using the button on the driver door. The OP is asking how to have them automatically fold.

Tim

boltjaM3s 10-05-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MML007 (Post 7115387)

In the US you need to hit a button to fold them. In other countries, they do it automatically.

If in the US you start the car with them folded and drive a few yards they'll unfold automatically, but they won't fold in when you put the car in Park.

BJ

MML007 10-05-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim330i (Post 7115390)
They are. But you have to manually fold them in using the button on the driver door. The OP is asking how to have them automatically fold.

Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7115392)
In the US you need to hit a button to fold them. In other countries, they do it automatically.

If in the US you start the car with them folded and drive a few yards they'll unfold automatically, but they won't fold in when you put the car in Park.

BJ

Thanks. :)

voip-ninja 10-05-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7115384)
There's a way to use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel to skip (sort of).

Without looking at the display, scroll the wheel down one click (you'll feel it) and push it in.

In reality, you're bringing up the 'list' and choosing the next track, but if you don't look at the list it's the same thing as the blind 'skip' feature.

Wheel down + Push in = Skip on steering wheel

BJ

The problem with this is that my playlist is set to "shuffle all songs" but when scrolling in the i-drive it just shows all of the tracks alphabetically.

voip-ninja 10-05-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim330i (Post 7115323)
You can code the mirrors to go up and down based on comfort access or key fob for the F10, I would guess you can do the same on the F30 -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=mirrors

There will probably be a rear camera retrofit from one of our sponsors coming soon.

Tim

Rear camera retrofit is of interest to me depending on cost. Will it work with the i-drive?

boltjaM3s 10-05-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voip-ninja (Post 7115510)
The problem with this is that my playlist is set to "shuffle all songs" but when scrolling in the i-drive it just shows all of the tracks alphabetically.

Yes. No workaround for Shuffle unfortunately.

BJ

tdd 10-05-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voip-ninja (Post 7115178)
I think you'll find people here are more than willing to help if you at least try to peruse the manual before asking some basic questions...

:thumbup:

3284me 10-05-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7115848)
Yes. No workaround for Shuffle unfortunately.

BJ

E90 has a random setting in idrive that will play shuffled songs non-alphabetically. Are you saying the F30 eliminated this feature?

boltjaM3s 10-05-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3284me (Post 7116655)
E90 has a random setting in idrive that will play shuffled songs non-alphabetically. Are you saying the F30 eliminated this feature?

No, what we were talking about is the lack of a skip forward button on the steering wheel. The ability to play songs randomly still there, still in the same place in the iDrive settings.

What we were lamenting is the fact that you can't use anything but the skip forward button to the right of the 1-8 buttons to advance the next track while in shuffle mode. Because of the head up display and the song title list in the gauges, BMW now gives a scroll wheel where the skip forward and skip back buttons used to be on the steering wheel. It's great when you're in playlists or album mode, but doesn't advance the track when you're in shuffle mode.

BJ

3284me 10-05-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7116666)
No, what we were talking about is the lack of a skip forward button on the steering wheel. The ability to play songs randomly still there, still in the same place in the iDrive settings.

What we were lamenting is the fact that you can't use anything but the skip forward button to the right of the 1-8 buttons to advance the next track while in shuffle mode. Because of the head up display and the song title list in the gauges, BMW now gives a scroll wheel where the skip forward and skip back buttons used to be on the steering wheel. It's great when you're in playlists or album mode, but doesn't advance the track when you're in shuffle mode.

BJ

Thank you for the clarification.