Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW CCA LA Chapter Forum (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   What Types of Events Do YOU Want? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650025)

White05X3 10-05-2012 07:56 AM

What Types of Events Do YOU Want?

As part of our efforts to improve the LA Chapter of the BMW CCA, we are interested in learning what types of events you would like to attend.

Please take a moment to post some suggestions.

Thanks

ladius 10-07-2012 01:21 PM

How about some canyon drives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by White05X3 (Post 7115237)
As part of our efforts to improve the LA Chapter of the BMW CCA, we are interested in learning what types of events you would like to attend.

Please take a moment to post some suggestions.

Thanks

White05X3 10-08-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladius (Post 7119228)
How about some canyon drives?

That sounds like fun. Thank you for the suggestion!

Calibugman 03-10-2013 09:54 PM

Events

Manufacturer days.
Track/Autocross days. Gotta test out my mods on the 650
social get togethers for good causes. Car show for a kids group! Boys and Girls Club of Los Angeles for example or McKinley childrens center. maybe with the SoCal Mini Maniacs also.
Meet and greet at a nice resaturant for car show and great meal!!!

I am new to the BMW world. Have worked in the auto aftermarket and been to and organized shows and events in the past. Getting people to show up is half the problem...
I am in for it!

ladius 05-19-2013 11:43 PM

Actually, how about car control clinics? I see they have them in San Diego but can't make a weekend trip of it. Hoping it will come to LA.

The HACK 05-20-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladius (Post 7596292)
Actually, how about car control clinics? I see they have them in San Diego but can't make a weekend trip of it. Hoping it will come to LA.

Problem for L.A. is facilities. If we can find a decent lot to do Car Control Clinics in, we'd at least hold them twice a year.

If any of you knows the owner(s) of large facilities with large parking lots and nothing to hit, let us know and we'll deal with the negotiations.

ladius 05-26-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The HACK (Post 7597066)
Problem for L.A. is facilities. If we can find a decent lot to do Car Control Clinics in, we'd at least hold them twice a year.

If any of you knows the owner(s) of large facilities with large parking lots and nothing to hit, let us know and we'll deal with the negotiations.

Last year I volunteered to help out the Tirerack Street Survival event at the Mazda headquarters parking lot in Irvine, is that one large enough? If that's large enough, I'll scout around for a site. But, why not have it there if its big enough? I know it's not really LA but I'd be willing to drive down for a car control clinic there.

The HACK 05-28-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladius (Post 7611810)
Last year I volunteered to help out the Tirerack Street Survival event at the Mazda headquarters parking lot in Irvine, is that one large enough? If that's large enough, I'll scout around for a site. But, why not have it there if its big enough? I know it's not really LA but I'd be willing to drive down for a car control clinic there.

That one is large enough. We've actually approached them to do another CCC/TRSS but we've been told that lot is no longer avaiable. :(

ladius 06-01-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The HACK (Post 7615715)
That one is large enough. We've actually approached them to do another CCC/TRSS but we've been told that lot is no longer avaiable. :(

How about dodger stadium?

pkim1079 06-03-2013 03:26 PM

Its baseball season. Not gonna happen. And if the old owner still owns the parking lots its def not gonna happen. Cant we just do it at speedway like all the other events?

ladius 06-05-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkim1079 (Post 7627782)
Its baseball season. Not gonna happen. And if the old owner still owns the parking lots its def not gonna happen. Cant we just do it at speedway like all the other events?

good point, but hopefully in the off-season. that's right, mccort still owns it! sure he doesn't need the money? :)

pkim1079 06-19-2013 02:32 AM

Is the street survival more of teaching how to brake , etc? Or is it more of a ok, slide, counter, catch, ok now try it in the wet type of class? I want to start doing hpde with dsc off but dont necessarily want to go on a track and not have any experience with losing traction and then just go spinning everywhere. That would be expensive.

pkim1079 06-19-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladius (Post 7633775)
good point, but hopefully in the off-season. that's right, mccort still owns it! sure he doesn't need the money? :)

Mccort. What an utterly rich loser. Lol.

ladius 06-24-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkim1079 (Post 7660252)
Is the street survival more of teaching how to brake , etc? Or is it more of a ok, slide, counter, catch, ok now try it in the wet type of class? I want to start doing hpde with dsc off but dont necessarily want to go on a track and not have any experience with losing traction and then just go spinning everywhere. That would be expensive.

I attended an hpde at fontana. if its your first time, you'll go on the beginner group and always have an instructor in the car with you. So yes, it could be expensive if you go off, but with the instructor in the car, that should be less likely.

I too want to learn practice how to handle the car in emergency situations, when to brake or gas it when sliding, etc. kind of like the street survival class. If youre a teen, this is perfect for you. Sadly, im way too old for it!

pkim1079 06-25-2013 01:49 PM

I have been to plenty of HPDE and would run in the B group with BMW CCA (recommended by instructor to move to B and let me go alone the last session) - that being said, my current driving style is the drive as smoothly as possible and drive such that the traction control does not engage. So far so good, but when its time to accelerate out earlier and harder, I would like to have the car control down first. This way I can get into the A group soon! ha

ladius 06-28-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkim1079 (Post 7672449)
I have been to plenty of HPDE and would run in the B group with BMW CCA (recommended by instructor to move to B and let me go alone the last session) - that being said, my current driving style is the drive as smoothly as possible and drive such that the traction control does not engage. So far so good, but when its time to accelerate out earlier and harder, I would like to have the car control down first. This way I can get into the A group soon! ha

I missed the "dsc off" part! It sounds like you would know what to do in theory, its probavly a matter of practice now.

whinojosa 07-07-2013 11:10 PM

What Types of Events Do YOU Want?

I think it would be really, really great to have some type of interaction with some of the BMW race teams. Obviously Long Beach Grand Prix would have been a logical fit but that has come and gone. However, it should make the schedule next year in USCR (the grand-am + ALMS merger).

In the meantime, some type of meet and greet, social gathering or race car viewing with a few drivers would be amazing. The Rahal ALMS team's new Z4 GTE would be a sight to see for sure!!

Otherwise more manufacturer/parts vendor events would be fun. I attended the Modbargains meet and it turned out to be a great time.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

greentrbo95gst 07-22-2013 10:00 PM

- Booth at Long Beach Grand Prix
- Another German wine and Cheese event
- German Beer, Saurkraut and hot dog event
- Track day with instructors
- Cruise along the coast and beach fire pits after.

ae86pwr 08-08-2013 01:03 PM

Group detailing class at Meguiars in OC ... they host it every now and then.

pkim1079 08-08-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae86pwr (Post 7760629)
Group detailing class at Meguiars in OC ... they host it every now and then.

I would love this.

Jack in the Box 09-23-2013 11:32 AM

Regarding venues for car control clinics, is El Toro in Irvine too far? I attended a car control clinic with the OC PCA last year, and it was at El Toro. There was enough space for two skidpads, two figure 8 courses, a mini autocross course, a course for emergency lane changes, and one more for another cornering exercise. The runway surface isn't too rough, so your tires won't get chewed up that fast.

pkim1079 09-23-2013 11:33 AM

El Toro would be a great place.

ladius 10-26-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The HACK (Post 7615715)

I see that the Tire Rack Street Survival program is being held at the Bob Hope airport in Burbank! Maybe this venue could be used for a clinic as well?

pkim1079 10-27-2013 09:47 PM

so can we get a car control clinic going? how many would actually want to participate? maybe we should start a list so that we can take one step forward.

(copy/quote and paste)

1. pkim1079

ladius 10-29-2013 07:11 PM

Sounds good to me. To the powers that be, I would be willing to help in organizing this, just let me know what needs to be done.

1. pkim1079
2. ladius

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkim1079 (Post 7922122)
so can we get a car control clinic going? how many would actually want to participate? maybe we should start a list so that we can take one step forward.

(copy/quote and paste)

1. pkim1079