Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   fuel injector problems - 2011 5-series (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650108)

Beth A 10-05-2012 12:58 PM

fuel injector problems - 2011 5-series

I have a 2011 BMW 535i Xdrive. I bought the car new in May of 2011. For the past few months I've been having a problem with the fuel injector (I think). When I drive the car the first think in the morning, it sometimes lurches. Most of the time it's not that bad, but occassionally it is pretty severe. Took it to the dealer, and they couldn't find anything wrong. They want me to leave it overnight so they can drive it first thing in the morning. Only thing is that it doesn't have every time. Anyone else having these problems?:thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Rick24C 10-07-2012 06:59 PM

Hi Beth,

I had my fuel injectors replaced on my '11 550 a month ago. Last week, I had to take my car back to the dealer because I was smelling gas and they replaced 2 injectors (again).

Symptoms: (does not happen all of the time)
Rough idling
Lost of power
Engine malfunction indicator (car goes into limp mode)

Hope this helps.

kc1953 10-08-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth A (Post 7116078)
I have a 2011 BMW 535i Xdrive. I bought the car new in May of 2011. For the past few months I've been having a problem with the fuel injector (I think). When I drive the car the first think in the morning, it sometimes lurches. Most of the time it's not that bad, but occassionally it is pretty severe. Took it to the dealer, and they couldn't find anything wrong. They want me to leave it overnight so they can drive it first thing in the morning. Only thing is that it doesn't have every time. Anyone else having these problems?:thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Lurching sounds more like the famous "tip-in" problem. Have you had the global software update installed?

Rick24C 10-08-2012 03:26 PM

Per my dealer, the Global software update are not for the 550i.

MBrown1003 10-08-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick24C (Post 7119808)
Hi Beth,

I had my fuel injectors replaced on my '11 550 a month ago. Last week, I had to take my car back to the dealer because I was smelling gas and they replaced 2 injectors (again).

Symptoms: (does not happen all of the time)
Rough idling
Lost of power
Engine malfunction indicator (car goes into limp mode)

Hope this helps.

I had a couple of instances of exactly what you describe. My dealer changed one spark plug, swapped a couple of ignition coils, and cleared the faults. It happened again a couple of weeks later, but that was five months ago.

Since then, the idle is a teeny, tiny bit lumpy (barely noticeable) and once in a while, starting it up takes a lot more cranking than usual.

And it's a 2011 550i, like yours. Any other '11 550i drivers having similar experiences?

JT 550i SD 10-08-2012 08:32 PM

had something similar....

my check engine/emissions light came on.

dealer originally changed a o2 sensor, but light came back on.

car was escalated to special tech team- they found 2 leaking injectors on left cylinder bank.

SA submitted PUMA case- ended up replacing all 8 injectors and spark plugs.

all good since then.

Jerris 05-31-2013 11:54 AM

Hello to all above,
I am also having fuel injector problems; for which the solution is to replace all of them. I'm wondering if any of you with fuel injector problems continued on your 5 series continued to experience problems after they were replaced? All feed back is helpful!

Jerris

Jerris 05-31-2013 11:57 AM

Hello to all above,

I've also experienced the similar "lurching problem" and a hesitation in the ignition upon a cold start. The solution is going to be to replace all the fuel injectors in my 5 series. So, I'm wondering if the problems persisted after the fuel injectors were replaced?

Jerris

Sonny184 05-31-2013 02:27 PM

I experienced the same problem with my new 535i, but the dealer told me that the fuel injection system operates at a very high pressure and you are always going to experience the rough startup until the pressure equalizes. Not sure this is your problem, but I have learned to deal with it.

Rick24C 05-31-2013 08:04 PM

Jerris,

No, I have not experience any problems since my injectors were replaced.

shakumaku 03-03-2014 04:37 PM

Had my brand new 2014 528iXdrive for 2 weeks. CEL came on @850miles. Took it to local dealer and SA knew it was injector change (while checking tire tread depth) before any diagnosis done.

Car/engine was running fine-no lurching hesitation at all. Dealer replacing injectors anyway.