Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   iDrive Question re: split screen (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650201)

beenthere1130 10-06-2012 06:29 AM

iDrive Question re: split screen
 
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 328i coupe (which I am aware is an E92 not an F30). Since this is an iDrive question, I thought this forum might prove more fruitful.

In short, I don't like split screen all the time. I prefer the larger map. However, I do like having the "arrow mode" flash up before I'm about to make a turn. With split screen off it seems like the only indication to turn is audible.

So, my question is, is there way to have split screen come on ONLY when the next turn is approaching?

As as aside, in the Mercedes I had, the 'next turn information' sits quite nicely in the instrument cluster which would be fantastic

Thanks!

Technic 10-06-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere1130 (Post 7117189)
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 328i coupe (which I am aware is an E92 not an F30). Since this is an iDrive question, I thought this forum might prove more fruitful.

In short, I don't like split screen all the time. I prefer the larger map. However, I do like having the "arrow mode" flash up before I'm about to make a turn. With split screen off it seems like the only indication to turn is audible.

So, my question is, is there way to have split screen come on ONLY when the next turn is approaching?

As as aside, in the Mercedes I had, the 'next turn information' sits quite nicely in the instrument cluster which would be fantastic

Thanks!

No.

FrogmanF30 10-06-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere1130 (Post 7117189)
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 328i coupe (which I am aware is an E92 not an F30). Since this is an iDrive question, I thought this forum might prove more fruitful.

In short, I don't like split screen all the time. I prefer the larger map. However, I do like having the "arrow mode" flash up before I'm about to make a turn. With split screen off it seems like the only indication to turn is audible.

So, my question is, is there way to have split screen come on ONLY when the next turn is approaching?

As as aside, in the Mercedes I had, the 'next turn information' sits quite nicely in the instrument cluster which would be fantastic

Thanks!

You can set "Exit ramp View" mode. When that is enabled, you can be in full screen mode and then when an exit ramp is coming up, it will display the ramp picture in the split view and then disappear automatically when you are through it.

It will not do this for normal turns though.

Also, if you turn off nav instructions in the HUD, you will get turn information in the instrument cluster.

boltjaM3s 10-06-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere1130 (Post 7117189)
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 328i coupe (which I am aware is an E92 not an F30). Since this is an iDrive question, I thought this forum might prove more fruitful.

In short, I don't like split screen all the time. I prefer the larger map. However, I do like having the "arrow mode" flash up before I'm about to make a turn. With split screen off it seems like the only indication to turn is audible.

So, my question is, is there way to have split screen come on ONLY when the next turn is approaching?

As as aside, in the Mercedes I had, the 'next turn information' sits quite nicely in the instrument cluster which would be fantastic

Thanks!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/IMG_3432.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/IMG_3438.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/IMG_3441.jpg

No, that's not possible.

I'm unfamiliar with the iDrive execution in the E92, but can't you put the arrows up between the gauges in the instrument cluster? We can do this on the F30, perhaps your cluster has a smaller LCD.

What map view are you using? I'm wondering why you need a map so large that it makes the arrows a hindrance as opposed to the help they really are. I use the birdseye view, turn off all the 3D crap, and set the map to go in the current direction. Zoom it out to 400 or 800 feet and it gives plenty of information on the 2/3 of the screen while the remaining 1/3 I put on iPod album art and get the overtakes of arrows and lane guidance as I approach an exit. Not sure what map view you're using, but if you go to this simple overhead look you may find you get enough out of it to give up some real estate for the very useful split screen.

BJ

FrogmanF30 10-06-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 (Post 7117514)
You can set "Exit ramp View" mode. When that is enabled, you can be in full screen mode and then when an exit ramp is coming up, it will display the ramp picture in the split view and then disappear automatically when you are through it.

It will not do this for normal turns though.

Also, if you turn off nav instructions in the HUD, you will get turn information in the instrument cluster.

Well, I just took a drive and the pop-up split screen exit view doesn't pop-up. I thought it used to do that. Oh well.

beenthere1130 10-07-2012 04:51 AM

Thanks! I have my map set as you suggested, birds eye and zoom-wise. I don't think I can get the directions in the instrument cluster-- seems to only be mpg/cruising miles/average speed.

boltjaM3s 10-07-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere1130 (Post 7118629)
Thanks! I have my map set as you suggested, birds eye and zoom-wise. I don't think I can get the directions in the instrument cluster-- seems to only be mpg/cruising miles/average speed.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...mes/bmwhud.jpg

Yeah, might be an F30-only view at this point because the F30 has a lot more real estate in its instrument cluster display.

I know you like the full-screen map view, but for the 10% of the time that you're actually navigating somewhere new, the split-screen with the arrows and lane assist aren't that invasive. I know that standalone GPS units give you the full screen until the very last moment, but I find that the 70/30 split screen gives me the best of both worlds. I can see the birds-eye big picture of where I'm headed and then a closeup of the very next turn. Since I listen to the iPod most of the time, I like the fact that the LP art swaps out to arrow view and then lane assist view when needed.

Doesn't help you presently, but in your next 3 Series you can get the head-up display which is exactly what you're looking for. You can keep the map full-screen and get both the arrow view and lane assist view hovering over the end of your hood.

BJ

beenthere1130 10-07-2012 06:58 AM

Wow, that HUD is very very cool. I'd wager I'll be sidling into an F32 after the LCI. For now, I'll enjoy my brand new toy.

My prior car wasn't going to make it to 2014 so I had to move now-- and between an F30 sedan and an E92-- my impending 30th birthday seemed to rule my decision making. In other words no car seat yet but coming...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms