Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Which 2011 328i should I buy? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650204)

wardtew 10-06-2012 07:29 AM

Which 2011 328i should I buy?

For the last couple of days I have searched every pre-owned 328 in my area. Here is what I have found:

1) $26,900 - Mileage 25k, AWD Limited options. Does have moon, heated seats, (value package), but MANUAL Seats. Car Fax history is strange. The car was put into service in Nov 2010 so I would have 2 years or 25k left on Factory warranty. Car history is strange since it was not driven in 2011. It says company fleet. It was held by a dealer. Had a fuel pump issue repair at 20k but I am concerned that it does not show any oil change until 25k. Current dealer says they did full inspection and service is up to date. Not a BMW dealer so no 100K CPO.

2) $32,500 - Mileage 14k, AWD, Value package, Premium Package, has every thing but Nav and Cold Weather. Was owned by BMW dealer for service loaner. All service records available and done at proper intervals. Factory Warranty would be longer since car was put into service in July 2011. BMW dealer offering 100k CPO.

I would be ok with the less options but the history causes concern. I also like the peace of mind with more life left on Factory warranty and CPO. I am trying to justify if its worth the extra money. This would be my first pre-owned purchase. Bought my 2003 325i as new. I know if you take care of these cars properly they run great. I got 168k on my first 3 series.

Any help advice would be appreciated.

CALWATERBOY 10-06-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardtew (Post 7117252)
For the last couple of days I have searched every pre-owned 328 in my area. Here is what I have found:

Your choice is clear. Let me present your possibilities:
  1. Buy #1
  2. Buy #2
  3. Buy neither
  4. Psychiatric evaluation. You have asked others on an Internet forum to make an important buying decision with you. This choice involves serious consideration of opinion from people who have zero stake in your purchase, have high probability of experiencing no consequences re: their advice, and whom you will likely never meet in reality.
I say Option #4 is right for you. Good luck with your purchase!

wardtew 10-06-2012 09:07 AM

Maybe I will buy both. One for each personality.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App

tturedraider 10-06-2012 10:05 AM

ctuna 10-06-2012 12:44 PM

Be sure you check the stereo system

In 2010 and 2011 the no amp system got slipped into some cars in the US
and it sucks bigtime. You won't have tweeters in the door sails in front if that is
the system installed.

Also
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=627435

If you haven't done your research there are other things that a lot of people don't regard as improvements
such as.
Run Flat tires with no spares.
The cost and procedure for changing a battery .
I think the e9x series has more design flaws than the e46 or more serious ones at least.
valve ticking, head bolt breakage on the NA models.

Vanos4:12PM 10-06-2012 02:30 PM

The rule of thumb typically is try to buy the car with the least amount of miles. If it "were me", I would probably go for #2 even though it's 6K more. Probably "less cost" in the long run as it sounds like you like to keep your cars for a while.

laser 10-06-2012 02:31 PM

Both of these seem kinda funky.

Why not keep looking for a nice one owner / coming off a two year lease with similar mileage and coming from a "good home".

sunny5280 10-06-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctuna (Post 7117649)
If you haven't done your research there are other things that a lot of people don't regard as improvements
such as.
Run Flat tires with no spares.
The cost and procedure for changing a battery .

This is not unique to the model years the OP is considering but applicable to all E9x model cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctuna (Post 7117649)
I think the e9x series has more design flaws than the e46 or more serious ones at least.
valve ticking, head bolt breakage on the NA models.

I would say the opposite. While E9x doesn't have the history the E46 does it appears to be a more reliable car. The valve and head bolt issues were limited to the 2006 model year vehicles if memory serves correctly and, in my observation, weren't wide spread (like the HPFP issue of the 335).

ctuna 10-06-2012 05:41 PM

I don't think so

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504

The valve ticking problems are still going on right up to this date
The new ones 2010 and beyond are suppose to have a new head that
gives more oil flow preventing this but the above thread is still running .

I have heard the bolts have been upgraded but I don't know for sure
but it seems to be a a recurring problem.

The main complaint I use to here about the E46 was the window regulators in the 4 door
and control arms . My coupe went 70k with only three sensor problems.

Engine Problems seem a lot more expensive than this type of stuff.
Plus now you have to register the battery and the runflats are expensive crap.

(This is not unique to the model years the OP is considering but applicable to all E9x model cars.)
Never said it was, but he has an e46 I think he said so I imagine he would want to know
everything different about the e9x.
And I forgot about the electronic dipstick with no real dipstick .

pointandgo 10-06-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7117463)

+1