Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Faint rattle in drivers side door? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650351)

Alan L. 10-07-2012 05:36 AM

Faint rattle in drivers side door?

Anyone else notice a very faint rattle which sounds like its coming from the drivers side door?

Sounds almost like its coming from inside the door.

thanks
Alan

chill535ix 10-07-2012 06:15 AM

I had a faint rattle in my front passenger side door. Something was loose in there. Had to take it in to dealer, they fixed it.

RangerWalker 10-07-2012 08:15 AM

I have such a rattle. Will mention it next time I visit for service.

kc1953 10-07-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan L. (Post 7118656)
Anyone else notice a very faint rattle which sounds like its coming from the drivers side door?

Sounds almost like its coming from inside the door.

thanks
Alan

Do you have anything in the little compartment in the bottom of the door? Just a thought.

ihumphrey 10-07-2012 12:05 PM

I had a small rattle there and was finally able to deduce that the lock mechanism was slightly loose...

DieselNY 10-07-2012 02:59 PM

Could it be the seat belt hanging and banging against the door?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

wildcardz 10-07-2012 07:09 PM

I hear some rattle noises coming from the passenger front side.

Also, it seems like my multicontour seats squeak.

I'm trying to decide whether I should take it into the dealership... or am I just OCD?

Alan L. 10-07-2012 08:28 PM

Nothing in the compartment in the door and its not the seatbelt. Sounds like its internal and its very fain't which you could only hear the rattle if the radio was off.

Going to investigate the lock mechanism to see if i could tighten it up a bit.

Alan

kc1953 10-08-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan L. (Post 7120001)
Nothing in the compartment in the door and its not the seatbelt. Sounds like its internal and its very fain't which you could only hear the rattle if the radio was off.

Going to investigate the lock mechanism to see if i could tighten it up a bit.

Alan

Good luck Alan. If you are like me, any kind of rattle is a major annoyance and makes me not like my car as much. Luckily, no rattles so far on mine, except for passenger side seat belt when seat is not occupied. But I fixed that by sliding the latch up so it didn't bang against door post.

Ralph1201 10-08-2012 07:14 AM

i have a rattle coming from the passenger head rest. probably from the button on the side of the headrest. :(

SoCal 335 10-08-2012 12:03 PM

Check the passenger seat belt. If it doesn's lay on the seat it rattles agains the pillar.

Keyser Soze 10-08-2012 12:52 PM

Have you noticed if it disappears with window up/down?

I've been elbows deep in all my E46 door panels to do the window regulators and install speakers and there are all sorts of wonky cables, clips, brackets and gunk in there that could be loose or even slightly rubbing on each other. I assume the F10 has even more stuff in there.

Alan L. 10-08-2012 01:58 PM

I noticed it with the windows up. Haven't driven the car much with the windows down to notice it.

Alan

John NY 10-09-2012 06:06 AM

I also have a very, very faint rattle coming from the driver side door by the pillar where the seatbelt comes out. It's so faint that I likely won't do anything about it. I'll take it in if it gets worse, but I've not had the best of luck having the dealer try and fix rattles. When they take the car apart to fix one rattle, they almost always inadvertently create a new rattle or squeak. I had that problem with my E90.

kc1953 10-09-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal 335 (Post 7121058)
Check the passenger seat belt. If it doesn's lay on the seat it rattles agains the pillar.

Yep. Annoying.

Alan L. 10-09-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John NY (Post 7122385)
I also have a very, very faint rattle coming from the driver side door by the pillar where the seatbelt comes out. It's so faint that I likely won't do anything about it. I'll take it in if it gets worse, but I've not had the best of luck having the dealer try and fix rattles. When they take the car apart to fix one rattle, they almost always inadvertently create a new rattle or squeak. I had that problem with my E90.

Mine likely to be coming from the same area. It is also very faint but I am the type that any abnormal sounds coming from my car bothers me.

Alan

Kar Don 10-09-2012 08:21 AM

yeah when the dealer takes apart the car it always causes more rattles. Has every time for me. My F10 had no rattles and I loved that about it.

Ralph1201 10-10-2012 05:22 AM

ok, i have confirmed that my rattle is coming from the headrest button.

while driving, if i depress the button with my right hand, the rattle goes away.

now i need to find a way to keep it depressed all the time, since the head rest back and forth movement is not something i ever use.

Any ideas DIY Gurus?

Sharbotcom 10-10-2012 06:15 AM

I have a few annoying rattles that are coming from both sides of the car. Two sources from the driver's side. The first is the lock post that rattles against the the opening collar of the door trim. That one was easy to find by simply placing my finger on the lock post when it is occuring and it goes away (car manufacturers used to line the collar with felt for a reason). I can't pinpoint the other source on the driver's side except I can suppress it by placing my elbow on the driver's door window sill and pressing hard on the upper window frame with my hand. Both rattles (static type sounds) wil occur under different road conditions. They both occur when I drive on gravel roads. The passenger side noise is a different story. I never sit on the passenger side (unless my wife acts as DD after a party and I'm in no shape to hear the rattle let alone try to figure the source) so I can't trace its origin but it does sound just like the second rattle described above so it may be the same issue manifesting itself on the passenger side.

The problem I have is everytime I go to the dealer the the rattle mysteriousl go quiet.

Ralph1201 11-14-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph1201 (Post 7124558)
ok, i have confirmed that my rattle is coming from the headrest button.

while driving, if i depress the button with my right hand, the rattle goes away.

now i need to find a way to keep it depressed all the time, since the head rest back and forth movement is not something i ever use.

Any ideas DIY Gurus?

This has been fixed. The problem was the headrest legs vibrating within the groove. so put a tape around the legs to make it tighter inside and rattle is gone.

wildcardz 06-26-2013 11:55 AM

Alan, did you ever figure out the driver side door rattle? I'm having the same sound now.

Keyser Soze 09-02-2013 09:05 AM

Yep, I just noticed the faint drivers side rattle a few days ago on a long highway cruise. I first made it go away by rolling the window up and down but that only worked once.

I'll check the following:

1. Headrest posts
2. door lock thingie
3. door latch assembly

....and also Gummi all the seals just the heck of it. If none of that works I'll think about pulling the door panel.

Kar Don 09-02-2013 11:20 AM

Faint rattle in drivers side door?

Most all the noises in my bmws have come from the rubber seals.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Keyser Soze 10-29-2013 04:54 PM

I'm bumping this as I notice the faint rattle every time in the car now. Checked all of the following to no avail:

1. Headrest posts
2. door lock post thingie
3. door latch assembly
4. door seals
5. seatbelt mount

I don't feel like pulling apart the door but that's the next step as I doubt the local dealer will do anything besides enter "cannot replicate" into their service system.

day03tls 10-29-2013 05:51 PM

I have about 1,600 miles and I noticed it and brought it in and it was the drivers side window regulator. Or so they said. I no longer hear it but it sure wasnt acceptable IMO. Not at this $$$

I would rather have a ding or a scratch than an interior rattle.