Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   what the hell is going on my with car (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650511)

kylejordan12 10-07-2012 11:23 PM

what the hell is going on my with car

i have a 06 330i that i bought about 2 months ago. within the first month i had to replace the water pump that went bad. just last week i was on the interstate coming home and everything in the car glitched for a split second. scared the hell outta me. anyways everything came back on right away and i got off at the next exit. when i was pulling over i smelled something that smelled like something was burning. so i drove it home kus i had no other choice. the next monring i was headed to work and and got a block down the road and the car was shaking bad. i pulled over and turned it off. i went to start it again and the car took a little bit to start. when i started i went to give it some gas and it would barley move. 5mph tops. so i parked the car had a tow truck take it to the bmw service center and they ran some test on it. they checked to compression and that was fine. they think my timing is off but there not sure. so just for them to check its 800$. does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? anything would be appreciated

thanks

Leekay07 10-07-2012 11:53 PM

I am no expert on BMW's but sounds nothing like a timing issue. I would look for the cause of the smell you had and then work from that onwards. Could be that you have a bad short thats screwing with your electrical system

brewder 10-08-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejordan12 (Post 7120207)
i have a 06 330i that i bought about 2 months ago. within the first month i had to replace the water pump that went bad. just last week i was on the interstate coming home and everything in the car glitched for a split second. scared the hell outta me. anyways everything came back on right away and i got off at the next exit. when i was pulling over i smelled something that smelled like something was burning. so i drove it home kus i had no other choice. the next monring i was headed to work and and got a block down the road and the car was shaking bad. i pulled over and turned it off. i went to start it again and the car took a little bit to start. when i started i went to give it some gas and it would barley move. 5mph tops. so i parked the car had a tow truck take it to the bmw service center and they ran some test on it. they checked to compression and that was fine. they think my timing is off but there not sure. so just for them to check its 800$. does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? anything would be appreciated

thanks

I have a 2007 328xi... I purchased it off a lease at roughly 54k miles. One day shortly after taking ownership, I was cruising down the highway at roughly 70mph and everything glitched like you just said. Scared the bejesus out of me. It turned out to be a Vanos problem. There's actually a SIB out for "dirty vanos" issues where they sometimes "stick". I have no idea what the vanos does or how it works... All I know is they cleaned it out, and it hasn't happened in 56k additional miles... (they didn't replace it, they simply cleaned it).

It threw a code so the dealer quickly knew what was wrong.

//Brew..

twhisten 10-08-2012 06:39 AM

$800 just to check and diagnose the problem?? Find an indy or another dealership.

john@eac 10-08-2012 07:06 AM

I agree with attempting to find the source of the smell. It sounds like something might have shorted out. I don't understand them wanting to check the timing either.

CALWATERBOY 10-08-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twhisten (Post 7120493)
$800 just to check and diagnose the problem?? Find an indy or another dealership.

An expensive & sophisticated system to diagnose the problem, with highly trained operators.

Or, in other words, cable & laptop for codes.

Try this.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/DSCN0237.jpg

the_fox 10-08-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7120553)
An expensive & sophisticated system to diagnose the problem, with highly trained operators.

Or, in other words, cable & laptop for codes.

For $800, I hope he gets to keep that laptop then.