Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Ideas for buying 2007 BMW 328i (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650708)

bmw1110 10-08-2012 07:29 PM

Ideas for buying 2007 BMW 328i

Hi guys,
I am planning to buy a used BMW 328i and I have shortlisted a 2007 BMW 328i. It has 52,000 miles on it, white color and everything looks and feels great. I even did a test drive. He first asked for $16,995 but I bought him down to $16,000.

But today when I ran AUTOCHECK report, it showed, "Minor Accident, Slight Damage Reported". I asked the owner and he said, it got hit in the parking lot and it was a police case as the other car was stolen. And, as the car was stolen, he did not get his car covered under insurance(Don't know how true is that Story). It got hit in rear bumper and still has few scratches as he said he did not repaired those.

Anyway, after test driving two - three 328i's, I really liked this car as its in good shape. But now I don't know if I should go for this car because of minor accident reported on car report.
I am basically worried about the car resale value after 2-3 yrs down the line.

Experts, please advice me if I should go for this car for $16,000 or how much should I ask for?

Thank You,
Steve.

bmw1110 10-10-2012 03:58 PM

Anyone with ideas??

Tommy D 10-10-2012 05:41 PM

If you really like the car as you said and if you plan on driving the car for a long time, then you need not worry, but if you plan on reselling in a few years, and worried, then I'd find another one.

Nordic_Kat 10-10-2012 06:34 PM

In 2-3 years the car will be 8-9 years old. I don't think a minor bump to the bumper will affect anything. If a trusted indy checks the car pre-sale and and it checks out, go for it.

Case in point:
1) I had a 94 Honda Civic that was absolutely pristine. In 2000 it was the victim in a minor fender bender that required replacement of the left front quarter panel. It was never reported to Carfax. In 2009 I sold the car getting "top dollar" for it because it was still in pristine condition and mechanically in top shape due to regular routine maintenance both mechanical and cosmetic. I was completely honest with the buyer about the accident in 2000 and it didn't phase him.

2) My 2009 E93 sustained ~$900 of damage at 18 months old when a guy in a GM Sierra pickup 'rolled' into me at a stoplight. 6 months after the accident, I obtained the Carfax report for the car and the accident doesn't exist. Even though my car is a daily driver, I keep it it show-room condition, both mechanically and cosmetically. I guarantee that if I were to sell it at 8-9 years old, the little boo-boo it sustained early in life won't even be a consideration.

bmw1110 10-11-2012 08:28 AM

Thanks Tommy D & Nordic Kat for your input...... I am taking the car to a mechanic who will perform a thorough inspection on the car. Lets see what does he say. I will update you guys once the inspection has been done. Thanks again, for your information.

Also, I came to know yesterday that the windshield has a 5-6 inch crack. He said he fixed(not replaced) that 2 years back and never had any problem since then in rain/snow. To replace the windshield, Safelite quoted around $495. Now should I ask him to lower the price and if yes then how much you guys think I should ask to come down on the price? I already bought him down from $16,995 to $16,000.