Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Playing in the trunk (again)... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65076)

Randy Forbes 07-01-2004 08:16 PM

Playing in the trunk (again)...

3 Attachment(s)
With the black car almost done, it's time to get another set of pieces fab'd up for the gray car.

The pieces that went into the trunk of the black car were intended for the gray one, but plans changed when the tech doing the work saw them as a way to prevent the problem from reoccurring. He viewed the (complete) trunkfloor replacement as winding back up in the same place a few more years down the road. As a result, only a portion of the trunkfloor assembly was used in the black car's repair process.

This round will see a few development changes in both the fabrication as well as the installation processes.

Dennis33 07-02-2004 08:24 PM

Update needed

Randy, I have not been keeping up with the posts about your trunk.
You showed me your trunk, before you had anything done, when I was at your house.
I need an update.

Are the BMW folks taking care of all the work and expense under warranty?
Are they simply reinforcing the trunk or are they replacing sections of the trunk?

Would someone like myself, in the future, be able to go to my dealer and ask for the trunk reinforcement fix/modification/upgrade that you are getting?

Randy Forbes 07-02-2004 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis33
Randy, I have not been keeping up with the posts about your trunk.
You showed me your trunk, before you had anything done, when I was at your house.
I need an update.

The black car was returned (from the dealer after being repaired) today. The gray car will go in later this month.

Quote:

Are the BMW folks taking care of all the work and expense under warranty?

Yes, I am very pleased with the way this is being handled. It took a while to get the approval, but my dealership was persistant (even the GM applying pressure) until BMWNA agreed to do the repairs.

Quote:

Are they simply reinforcing the trunk or are they replacing sections of the trunk?

A bit of both, really. I can give you complete details when I see you next (at HC?)

Quote:

Would someone like myself, in the future, be able to go to my dealer and ask for the trunk reinforcement fix/modification/upgrade that you are getting?

I would expect so, at least in part, though it seems that BMWNA is dealing with this on a case by case basis. It Looks like most people are being taken care of, though there was a recent denial posted on roadfly (reported that the rep wouldn't even look at the Coupe in question). A bit of a crap shoot, I guess :dunno:

Again, it will come down to the relationship you have with your dealer ;)

Randy Forbes 07-05-2004 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Twelve (12) pounds of 10 ga. steel (before trimming). Three fourths the weight of the original (steel) butt strut.

Still need to "doll up" the cut edges and put the flanges on the top piece. One of the developments that I am most pleased with, is the top piece will be flush with the top of the existing floor embossments.