Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   How Much Can I Sell For? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651387)

mjrbimmer335i 10-12-2012 08:52 AM

How Much Can I Sell For?

So I've had my 2009 (not certified) BMW 335i sedan for a short amount of time. I'm making a career change, considering I'm only 20, with my wife starting our own business. No longer do we need, nor can we afford 2 vehicles. So we will be keeping her new suburban, practical, and selling my beloved bimmer. I would really prefer to sell it myself, I have a bit of experience doing so but my problem is that I don't want to be a fool asking too much $. It has 13,6XX miles on it. I tried to KBB it but the value has came out strangely lower than anything on the market anywhere and from a lot of previous experience KBB was always disappointingly higher than reality. I would go to Carmax but the closest one to me is the same distance as my BMW dealer; 190 miles. Would anyone here have an idea what my car would be worth with more details and specs?

gpburdell 10-12-2012 11:57 AM

Can't help you with specifics, but I would recommend you look at nada.com and edmunds.com as additional resources. I may be wrong, but I thought carmax would give an online quote (subject to in-person inspection) -- but know you won't get from them what you'd get from a private party buyer, use their value as a "floor".

I'd also recommend cars.com and autotrader.com searches for similarly equipped models in your area to see what people are asking. Figure as a private party seller you won't get what a dealer is asking for theirs and also figure that every buyer will want to haggle the price a bit.

You also have a tradeoff to consider; price it lower for quick sale vs. get as much value you can even if it takes a while.

ctorrey 10-12-2012 12:18 PM

Since when is a Suburban 'practical'? Large families excluded.

Bob Shiftright 10-12-2012 02:07 PM

^He's in New Mexico -- A Suburban is much more practical than getting a BMW stuck in the desert 50 miles from anything and waiting for the coyotes to eat you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjrbimmer335i (Post 7129365)

It has 13,6XX miles on it. I tried to KBB it but the value has came out strangely lower than anything on the market anywhere and from a lot of previous experience KBB was always disappointingly higher than reality. I would go to Carmax but the closest one to me is the same distance as my BMW dealer; 190 miles. Would anyone here have an idea what my car would be worth with more details and specs?

No idea. But I'd check KBB -- also NADA, Edmunds, etc. You can also check the "completed listings" on eBay to see what similar cars have actually sold for. Since my car is a little unusual (MT ZSP wagon) I may list it in the BMWCCA classifieds when I sell it, to minimize bothering with local tire-kickers.

roadkillrob 10-12-2012 02:22 PM

My dealer usually says KBB fair trade in (the lowest one, sometimes they go up to good if the car is pristine), if your selling private party probably a couple grand more.

The real price is what people will pay, so looking at what they have sold for at auction or on ebay gives you a pretty good starting point, for low mileage probably looking in the 23 range for trade and 25 range private party depending on options, maybe a bit more.

mjrbimmer335i 10-12-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctorrey (Post 7129871)
Since when is a Suburban 'practical'? Large families excluded.

Since I have a 7month old, and a business in which inventory will be traveling in. I also tow a camper often, and being part owner in a trucking company I'm always doing something with trailers. Sounds practical to me. But I'm assuming you're a mini van lover? Not for me and don't do what I need. I live in a truck town anyways... We travel a lot too, run flats and no room for luggage calls for a big pain in the ass.

mjrbimmer335i 10-12-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadkillrob (Post 7130183)
My dealer usually says KBB fair trade in (the lowest one, sometimes they go up to good if the car is pristine), if your selling private party probably a couple grand more.

The real price is what people will pay, so looking at what they have sold for at auction or on ebay gives you a pretty good starting point, for low mileage probably looking in the 23 range for trade and 25 range private party depending on options, maybe a bit more.

Agh I hope not! Kbb suggests 28 for trade in. It's in pristine condition other than a scuff on the rim that my wonderful wife did.

roadkillrob 10-12-2012 06:58 PM

Like I said depends on options, I just did the numbers with no options since you didn't mention what they were - KBB fair should be minimum they will give you, if it is pretty mint, KBB good is a good number to aim for on a trade, 1500-2000 more private sale.

Rob

the kidd 10-14-2012 08:37 PM

My .02. Sell the Burby and keep the Bimmer I can stuff me, wife, and three kids ( age 5 and under) plus her parents in my X5 when traveling to VT. How much stuff do take with you when traveling??? Throw a tow bar on the end of that bad boy and call it a day. Hope you wont regret it if you sell.

tturedraider 10-14-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the kidd (Post 7134277)
My .02. Sell the Burby and keep the Bimmer I can stuff me, wife, and three kids ( age 5 and under) plus her parents in my X5 when traveling to VT. How much stuff do take with you when traveling??? Throw a tow bar on the end of that bad boy and call it a day. Hope you wont regret it if you sell.

Living in New Mexico is a world apart from living in Boston. Not to mention the other reasons the OP posted for why the Suburban makes more sense for his family.

the kidd 10-14-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7134386)
Living in New Mexico is a world apart from living in Boston. Not to mention the other reasons the OP posted for why the Suburban makes more sense for his family.

Maybe an X5D?? Sell both other vehicles and still have a nice BMW with good towing capacity

CALWATERBOY 10-15-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjrbimmer335i (Post 7129365)
So I've had my 2009 (not certified) BMW 335i sedan for a short amount of time. I'm making a career change, considering I'm only 20, with my wife starting our own business. No longer do we need, nor can we afford 2 vehicles. So we will be keeping her new suburban, practical, and selling my beloved bimmer. I would really prefer to sell it myself, I have a bit of experience doing so but my problem is that I don't want to be a fool asking too much $. It has 13,6XX miles on it. I tried to KBB it but the value has came out strangely lower than anything on the market anywhere and from a lot of previous experience KBB was always disappointingly higher than reality. I would go to Carmax but the closest one to me is the same distance as my BMW dealer; 190 miles. Would anyone here have an idea what my car would be worth with more details and specs?

A problem. Your ride's worth what anyone will pay - far from dealer's a disadvantage.

KBB etc. only a possibility. To be real, check local prices. Then you'll know.

mjrbimmer335i 10-15-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the kidd (Post 7134277)

Lol I can't sell the burban for two reasons... Most important, wife wanted it. Second, we got it less than a month ago. An X5 was her first choice but then idk what the hell came over her and she would not let it go that she needed a suburban. Now officially everyone in my family has one... Not cool but ours is the nicest :)

mjrbimmer335i 10-15-2012 09:23 AM

And thank you all for the input. It's funny how some think keeping the suburban is out of this world but where I live and also how I was raised, it is the norm. I will miss my bimmer for sure no doubt about it and will definitely own one as soon as I'm making enough to afford another payment. Till then ill be driving my paid off 2008 eclipse gt. My mom's friend is buying my bimmer for $36k :) 3k more than I owe!!